Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop Dave Fawthrop is offline

Default 1/4 turn valves for water pipes - name or link please

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 22:28:05 -0000, "Newshound"
wrote:

|!
|!"Bob Minchin" wrote in message
|!
|! "Dave Fawthrop" wrote in message
|! ...
|! On Tue, 6 Mar 2007 21:11:11 -0000, "Great Scot"
|! wrote:
|!
|! |!I've read here before about 1/4 turn valves with handles replacing gate
|! |!valves or stop cocks. ISTR that these are a good replacement for valves
|! in
|! |!15 or 22 mm domestic situtations.
|! |!Can anyone supply a link and/or a name please?
|! |!Returned home this evening to find swmbo placing buckets/bowls/pots
|! etc.
|! |!under drips coming from failed HW cylinder.
|! |!Have isolated cold feed to cylinder and drained it. Also turned off
|! |!immersion heater and gas fired water heating.
|! |!Can live with cold water only for a couple of days.
|! |!Changing the cylinder is a good opportunity to upgrade and reroute some
|! |!pipework.
|!
|! They are called service valves and I love them especially the screwdriver
|! ones
|! http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...19924&ts=16243
|! 15 an 22 mm are available
|!
|!
|! I think the OP wants something like this if he is replacing gate valves.
|! http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/...17922&id=13103
|!
|! Bob
|!
|!I think you are both right. The service valves are compact and convenient
|!for local isolation eg for replacing tap washers, but I'd go for metal ones
|!as the plastic screw heads on pushfit are not very positive. The full bore
|!quarter turns are great for isolating the main supply if you put them
|!somewhere convenient. I'm about to put one in the hall on the gas, to match
|!the one on the water. (At the moment you have to find the key for the gas
|!box outside in order to isolate the gas).

A pair of long nosed pliers fine ob the silly the triangular thing on the
gas box work fine. I have now acquired a cheap yellow one.

--
Dave Fawthrop dave hyphenologist co uk Compare and contrast
Sharia Law http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharia