Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 1/4 turn ceramic tap inserts

I have had these in our bathroom for a few years and the hot tap is
dripping. This tap only has about 2m head from the tank and I wonder if
these taps need greater pressure to seal properly. The cold tap is
working at mains pressure and is giving no trouble.

Anyone know?

TIA

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Mar, 18:20, Bob Minchin
wrote:
I have had these in our bathroom for a few years and the hot tap is
dripping. This tap only has about 2m head from the tank and I wonder if
these taps need greater pressure to seal properly. The cold tap is
working at mains pressure and is giving no trouble.

Anyone know?

TIA

Bob

ours were (until recently) at a similar differential - no drips -
maybe scale?

Cheers
JimK
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
I have had these in our bathroom for a few years and the hot tap is
dripping. This tap only has about 2m head from the tank and I wonder
if these taps need greater pressure to seal properly. The cold tap is
working at mains pressure and is giving no trouble.

Anyone know?

I've replaced lots of ceramic cartridges that were only a few years old.
Spawn of Satan IMO.

Could be limescale, take then out & soak in descaler for a while - worth a
try

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've replaced lots of ceramic cartridges that were only a few years old.
Spawn of Satan IMO.

Is the Medway Handyman unable to adapt to modern devices?

Does use a fall back line with his customers to blame his failures on modern
technology?

Modern devices have "different" failure modes to their older versions.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
I have had these in our bathroom for a few years and the hot tap is
dripping. This tap only has about 2m head from the tank and I wonder if
these taps need greater pressure to seal properly. The cold tap is
working at mains pressure and is giving no trouble.

Anyone know?

TIA

Bob

They mostly rely on pressure from o'rings to seal.
may be you can find new o'rings,if they are not specially made.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 05 Mar 2010 13:40:13 +1100, F Murtz wrote:

Bob Minchin wrote:
I have had these in our bathroom for a few years and the hot tap is
dripping. This tap only has about 2m head from the tank and I wonder if
these taps need greater pressure to seal properly. The cold tap is
working at mains pressure and is giving no trouble.

Anyone know?

TIA

Bob

They mostly rely on pressure from o'rings to seal.
may be you can find new o'rings,if they are not specially made.

IME, a spring loaded cup-shaped neoprene or similar seal, not just a common
or garden 'O' ring.

--
The Wanderer

I want to die how my Grandad died, peacefully, in his sleep,
Not like his passengers, who were screaming and shouting!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:20:04 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

I have had these in our bathroom for a few years and the hot tap is
dripping. This tap only has about 2m head from the tank and I wonder if
these taps need greater pressure to seal properly. The cold tap is
working at mains pressure and is giving no trouble.

Anyone know?

TIA

Bob

If it's just the seals that are playing up, you could try

http://www.brev.co.uk/

Very useful for spares, shame about the floating logo!

--
The Wanderer

That no one understands doesn't make you an artist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Medway
Handyman writes

I've replaced lots of ceramic cartridges that were only a few years old.
Spawn of Satan IMO.

Are they all the same? One size fits all?

Kitchen tap works but the 1/3 turn taps have become 'sticky'. I'm sure
that prior to going away, when I had some plumbing done - motion of the
levers required much less effort (turnable with little finger before,
now not)

--
Mike Tomlinson
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Wanderer
writes
On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 18:20:04 +0000, Bob Minchin wrote:

I have had these in our bathroom for a few years and the hot tap is
dripping. This tap only has about 2m head from the tank and I wonder if
these taps need greater pressure to seal properly. The cold tap is
working at mains pressure and is giving no trouble.

Anyone know?

TIA

Bob

If it's just the seals that are playing up, you could try

http://www.brev.co.uk/

Very useful for spares, shame about the floating logo!

Hmmn, def a last resort site for that very reason but it does look
useful.

Turning of javascript stops the dancing logo though.
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010 23:23:08 -0000, John wrote:

I've replaced lots of ceramic cartridges that were only a few years old.
Spawn of Satan IMO.

Is the Medway Handyman unable to adapt to modern devices?

Does use a fall back line with his customers to blame his failures on modern
technology?

Modern devices have "different" failure modes to their older versions.

Yes, maintainance-free: when it goes wrong it has to be replaced.
--
Peter.
2x4 - thick plank; 4x4 - two of 'em.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No way| Take a look at http://www.brev.co.uk/

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I've replaced lots of ceramic cartridges that were only a few years
old. Spawn of Satan IMO.

Is the Medway Handyman unable to adapt to modern devices?

Does use a fall back line with his customers to blame his failures on
modern technology?

Neither. I live in the real world. I've sorted more leaky taps than you
could imagine. Ceramics don't last that much longer than washers in all
cases.

Situation 1. Traditional tap. Turn off water, remove head assembly,
replace washers, check seat, reseat if necessary, replace, turn on water,
check work. Worst case scenario 1 hours labour max - usually less, I don't
bother charging for washers.

Situation 2. Ceramic Cartridge tap. Turn off water, remove head assembly,
sod about removing bits of broken cartridge moulding (in many cases). Drive
to only stockist of ceramic cartridges in town, match cartridge, drive back
to customer, replace, turn on water, check work. Worst case scenario 2
hours + labour (depending on traffic), cost of cartridges £12 - £20.

Granted I earn more with ceramic taps, but the customer doesn't. He has
bought a maintenance headache.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Tomlinson wrote:
In article , The
Medway Handyman writes

I've replaced lots of ceramic cartridges that were only a few years
old. Spawn of Satan IMO.

Are they all the same? One size fits all?

Far from it! Not only do you have to match the cartridge, even the splines
are different sizes.

Kitchen tap works but the 1/3 turn taps have become 'sticky'. I'm
sure that prior to going away, when I had some plumbing done - motion
of the levers required much less effort (turnable with little finger
before, now not)

Worth descaling.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman