Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Caple Washing machine, "rubbery" smell.

Our Caple WMI 1012 washing machine produces a burnt rubber smell when
washing. It's not all the time, on the last couple of washes, it was
fine, now it's back again..

I am thinking most of these are direct drive these days, so it's unlikely
to be belts and stuff.

The only thing I can think of, is the door seal. We have found some small
balls of rubber similar in colour to the door seal, but can't see anywhere
where it's worn thou.

Does this sound like the likely candidate? Is it worth taking a punt on
one.

I found this, and it looks pretty simple to replace...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhpBQTPmyNs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

Don't know the make but more likely to be the belt slipping if it has
one.
Check for tension and wear.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

MarkG wrote:
Our Caple WMI 1012 washing machine produces a burnt rubber smell when
washing. It's not all the time, on the last couple of washes, it was
fine, now it's back again..

I am thinking most of these are direct drive these days, so it's unlikely
to be belts and stuff.

Well, given that quick google for spares shows spiders and belts for sale,
I don't think your machine is direct drive.

The only thing I can think of, is the door seal. We have found some
small balls of rubber similar in colour to the door seal, but can't see
anywhere where it's worn thou.

Does this sound like the likely candidate? Is it worth taking a punt on one.

More likely the belt's slipping when the machine's heavily loaded. Could be
a fault in the tensioner.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends where he found the rubber. If its inside the washer it does restrict
the source rather I'd say. I recall a friend finding these in the filter and
in tthe end it turned out to be the pump on the way out, so there must be
some kind of seal in some of those as well I suppose.
What I'd like to know is why the always seem to fit the filters near the
floor. It means you cannot stop a flood when you undo them.
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"harry" wrote in message
On Apr 26, 11:21 pm, MarkG wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 26, 11:21*pm, MarkG wrote:
Our Caple WMI 1012 washing machine produces a burnt rubber smell when
washing. *It's not all the time, on the last couple of washes, it was
fine, now it's back again..

I am thinking most of these are direct drive these days, so it's unlikely
to be belts and stuff.

The only thing I can think of, is the door seal. *We have found some small
balls of rubber similar in colour to the door seal, but can't see anywhere
where it's worn thou.

Does this sound like the likely candidate? *Is it worth taking a punt on
one.

I found this, and it looks pretty simple to replace...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhpBQTPmyNs

Could be various things. Inspection should tell you what. I wouldnt
consider replacing things semirandomly until you know where the fault
is.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 26 Apr 2012 23:21:58 +0100, MarkG wrote:

Our Caple WMI 1012 washing machine produces a burnt rubber smell when
washing. It's not all the time, on the last couple of washes, it was
fine, now it's back again..

I am thinking most of these are direct drive these days, so it's
unlikely to be belts and stuff.

The only thing I can think of, is the door seal. We have found some
small balls of rubber similar in colour to the door seal, but can't see
anywhere where it's worn thou.

Does this sound like the likely candidate? Is it worth taking a punt on
one.

I found this, and it looks pretty simple to replace...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhpBQTPmyNs

OK, to follow this up, rubbery smell went away, then it came back with a
vengeance, stips of the door seal arriving in the tub after a wash.
Ordered a new door seal, and attempted a replacement today. However this
is what I found:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRgD7dS3SU

Is the machine knackered?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

MarkG wrote:
[...]

I guess its bent from spin drying that concrete block.

and how hard it is to achieve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

This sounds more like perrished rubber. Have you washed any old blackout
curtains recently?
The debris from those can take ages to get rid of. I'd have though if it
were the door seal, one shoul be able to see the damage. also of course, you
must be washing bloomin hot to do that.

Is it perhaps overheating pointing to a thermostat issue?

Brian

From the sofa of Brian Gaff -

"MarkG" wrote in message newsp.wej07eupuxgxf7@vaio-laptop...
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 19 May 2012 15:33:10 +0100, Brian Gaff
wrote:

This sounds more like perrished rubber. Have you washed any old blackout
curtains recently?
The debris from those can take ages to get rid of. I'd have though if it
were the door seal, one shoul be able to see the damage. also of course,
you
must be washing bloomin hot to do that.

Is it perhaps overheating pointing to a thermostat issue?

Brian

100% certain it's the door seal, the old one has bits missing from it.
The washing machine is now in bits, and I am trying to determine if it's
worth putting the new seal in, or if it's just going to rip this one
apart, because the drum is spinning offcentre, or if that behavior in my
YouTube video is normal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This sounds more like perrished rubber. Have you washed any old blackout
curtains recently?
*The debris from those can take ages to get rid of. I'd have though if it
were the door seal, one shoul be able to see the damage. also of course,
you
must be washing bloomin hot to do that.

Is it perhaps overheating *pointing to a thermostat issue?

Brian

100% certain it's the door seal, the old one has bits missing from it.
The washing machine is now in bits, and I am trying to determine if it's
worth putting the new seal in, or if it's just going to rip this one
apart, because the drum is spinning offcentre, or if that behavior in my
YouTube video is normal.

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:http://www.opera.com/mail/

I see that Caple appliances are recommended by those two well known
engineers, Colin and Justin.

http://www.caple.co.uk/whycaple.aspx

Re-reading Brian's original post, you can hear the implied "Oo-er,
missus!" and "Oo, you are awful..." at the end of every sentence:

"Depends where he found the rubber. If its inside the washer it does
restrict
the source rather I'd say. I recall a friend finding these in the
filter and
in the end it turned out to be the pump on the way out, so there must
be
some kind of seal in some of those as well I suppose.
What I'd like to know is why the always seem to fit the filters near
the
floor. It means you cannot stop a flood when you undo them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

This sounds more like perrished rubber. Have you washed any old blackout
curtains recently?
*The debris from those can take ages to get rid of. I'd have though if it
were the door seal, one shoul be able to see the damage. also of course,
you
must be washing bloomin hot to do that.

Is it perhaps overheating *pointing to a thermostat issue?

Brian

100% certain it's the door seal, the old one has bits missing from it.
The washing machine is now in bits, and I am trying to determine if it's
worth putting the new seal in, or if it's just going to rip this one
apart, because the drum is spinning offcentre, or if that behavior in my
YouTube video is normal.

I didnt see a damn thing in the video. If the drum can waggle, it
needs new bearings. Not expensive. If the drum assy is just bent, ie
it rotates offcentre but no wiggle, it needs a new spider. Either way
if you have time to do it its 1/10th the price of a new machine

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

It's definitely 100% the door seal, I have it off, and it's been ripped
apart, with chunks of it missing. The question is, will it do the same to
the new one if I fit it.

Not knowing if the offcentre rotation is normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukRgD7dS3SU

I believe Caple is the UK brand-name for SMEG, which isn't called SMEG
here for obvious reasons.... :-)