Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Door open" during wash on Whirlpool washing machine - simple repair?

Our Whirlpool washing machine has taken to stopping half way through a
wash with the "door open" light flashing.

Presumably this suggests that the door latch mechanism which detects
the door open/closed (and locks it closed) is faulty. It's easy
enough to remove.

Is my diagnosis likely to be correct and just replacing the door latch
electrics will fix it?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Skipweasel writes:
In article , says...
Is my diagnosis likely to be correct and just replacing the door latch
electrics will fix it?

I'd fudge round it by linking the switch out first to test the
supposition. No point in replacing it if the fault turns out to be
somewhere else.

Bear in mind that if it does appear to be the switch it could either be
the switch itself, or the mechanism that operates it.

If you're going to take it off, check for wear and/or lubrication
gone sticky, and it might be fixable. I would not link out the
switch other than as a one-off test - it's a safety feature and
you might seriously regret doing so later on.

As it turns out (and after a bit of Google searching for the fault)
the Door Open flashing can *also* mean that the main motor brushes are
worn. That appears to be the cause on our machine as removing the
brushes, stretching the springs a bit, cleaning them up and putting
them back has cleared the fault. I will order a new pair and replace
them next time we see "Door Open".

It does seem a very odd diagnostic to say "Door Open" when the brushes
are worn. The machine can output error codes on its display for other
faults (e.g. drain blocked is "FH", water input fault is "FP") so why
on earth don't they use one for brushes worn rather than making you
think something is wrong with the door?

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Skipweasel wrote:

One will be a power feed to heat the bimetal strip that operates the
delay. Probably. Take it apart and have a look.

Why do washing machines have such a *long* delay on the door mechanism
these days? I've had three Hotpoint W/D over the past 25 years, the
first two you could open the door the second the drum had stopped, the
present one is about a three minute delay ... very annoying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Andy
Burns writes
Skipweasel wrote:

One will be a power feed to heat the bimetal strip that operates the
delay. Probably. Take it apart and have a look.

Why do washing machines have such a *long* delay on the door mechanism
these days? I've had three Hotpoint W/D over the past 25 years, the
first two you could open the door the second the drum had stopped, the
present one is about a three minute delay ... very annoying.

Although I can't find a ref for it I have a dim recollection of it being
a legislated safety requirement, hence why they all have it and the
minimum 2 minute period being common to all.
--
fred