Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default "Door open" during wash on Whirlpool washing machine - simple repair?

wrote:
On 12 Feb,
wrote:

As it turns out (and after a bit of Google searching for the fault)
the Door Open flashing can *also* mean that the main motor brushes are
worn. That appears to be the cause on our machine as removing the
brushes, stretching the springs a bit, cleaning them up and putting
them back has cleared the fault. I will order a new pair and replace
them next time we see "Door Open".

I wouldn't wait to replace them. Damage to the motor may result, at best teh
commutator will become less smooth, resulting in quicker wear of the
replacements.

I've ordered them, will replace when they arrive.

It does seem a very odd diagnostic to say "Door Open" when the brushes are
worn. The machine can output error codes on its display for other faults
(e.g. drain blocked is "FH", water input fault is "FP") so why on earth
don't they use one for brushes worn rather than making you think something
is wrong with the door?

Cost cutting!

But it isn't really, there's no more hardware needed, just
(presumably) a change in some firmware somewhere such that "flash the
door open light" becomes "display Fx".

--
Chris Green