Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Electric socket in downstairs toilet

I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but what is
the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a bog and a sink
in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but
what is the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a
bog and a sink in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

Yes. Just keep it out of the splash areas:-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2012 16:27, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but what
is the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a bog and a
sink in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

If there is no shower or bath, then treat basically as any other room,
although use common sense and don't stick it somewhere it will be splashed.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2012 18:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/03/2012 16:27, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but what
is the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a bog and a
sink in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

If there is no shower or bath, then treat basically as any other room,
although use common sense and don't stick it somewhere it will be splashed.

And always remember not to use it when you're standing with one foot in
the bowl...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/03/2012 12:42, Lobster wrote:
On 30/03/2012 18:54, John Rumm wrote:
On 30/03/2012 16:27, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but what
is the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a bog and a
sink in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

If there is no shower or bath, then treat basically as any other room,
although use common sense and don't stick it somewhere it will be
splashed.

And always remember not to use it when you're standing with one foot in
the bowl...

Is this something you do to clean your shoes, or just for fun? ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 16:54:45 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

And always remember not to use it when you're standing with one foot in
the bowl...

Is this something you do to clean your shoes, or just for fun? ;-)

They're still scratching their heads over bidets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/03/2012 16:27, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but what
is the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a bog and a
sink in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

Television?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 30, 4:27*pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but what is
the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a bog and a sink
in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

Take care not to break the porcelain when drilling it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 30, 4:27*pm, "Mentalguy2k8" wrote:
I've read something about not putting them within 3m of a bath, but
what is the law/guidelines regarding a downstairs toilet that has a
bog and a sink in it? Could you fit a socket in there?

A toilet is not a special location under SI2006.
So the work may legally be done as long as good workmanship etc to
BS7671.
Hopefully that makes you feel a little more secure from hysterical
government.

The industry recommendation is no wiring accessory within 300mm
measured horizontally from the edge of the sink, unless of course that
wiring accessory is rated to IPx4 or better.

Unfortunately the NICEIC manual extract uses the word "ideally" twice
both at 300mm & 1000mm. That indicates more than one edit by their
Markretin Department. Sort of like a Joint Intelligence Committee
report on Iraq Weapons of Mass Destruction, only even less
identifiable brains but a charitable trust to hide behind so equally
beyond the law.
As long as the sink does not have an extensible spray head (eg, for
blasting away what you just did in the toilet since no eco-cistern has
a hope in hell of ever shifting it) you can assume even the dumbest
illiterate jobsworth **** can figure out 300mm is ok. Aside - an
industrial firework will shift it and is a viable solution when the
toilet has a Turd Vadar attached (known as a Saniflo).

"Electrical installation designers often ask how close a socket-outlet
or other accessory is permitted to be installed to a domestic or
commercial kitchen sink, or to a wash basin in a bedroom or
cloakroom.
The simple answer is that BS 7671 does not specify a minimum distance.
However, Regulation 512-06-01 requires due account to be taken of
external influences. An extract from the regulation is reproduced
below for ease of reference:

Extract from Regulation 512-06-01:
'Every item of equipment shall be of a design appropriate to the
situation in which it is to be used or its mode of installation shall
take account of the conditions likely to be encountered.'

2. Domestic premises
Domestic kitchens, bedrooms and cloakrooms (unlike bathrooms and
shower rooms) are not included amongst the special installations or
locations in Part 6 of BS 7671 and are not rooms where the resistance
of the body is likely to be significantly reduced. Therefore, normal
precautions against electric shock should be adequate and the general
rules of BS 7671 are applicable.
However, whilst BS 7671 does not forbid the installation of a socket-
outlet or other accessory close to a sink in a domestic kitchen,
bedroom or cloakroom, the requirements of Regulation 512-06-01 have to
be taken into account.
The requirements of Regulation 512-06-01 mean that ordinary BS 1363
socket-outlets and similar accessories are not suitable to be
installed so close to sinks or draining boards that they are likely to
be splashed with water or operated with wet hands.
The penetration of water into an accessory could have serious effects.
Water entering the terminals and mechanism may lead to corrosion,
internal arcing, general degradation and eventually malfunction.
Additionally, and more seriously, water may provide a track for the
phase voltage to be transmitted to the front cover of the accessory,
giving rise to the risk of electric shock.
A rule of thumb recommendation for domestic premises, to avoid the
effects of splashing, is that ordinary BS 1363 socket-outlets and
similar accessories should ideally be mounted not less than about 300
mm (ideally not less than about 1000 mm), in the horizontal plane,
from the extremity of a sink top or wash basin.
Where splashing of accessories cannot be avoided, equipment having a
degree of protection of at least IPX4 (protection against water
splashing from any direction) or IPX5 (protection against water jets
from any direction) is likely to be required. This type of equipment
is, of course, unlikely to be visually acceptable in most domestic
situations indoors."