Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Well that's the cat dead.

On Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:23:40 PM UTC, wrote:

Google for this... "glasgow james watt st fire"

Apparently, the fire doors were chained shut, I heard later.

Also the Stardust disco in Dublin. Exits padlocked to keep out non-payers, 44 dead in piles at the doors.

I did a few surveys of commercial properties in which you found yourself thinking "'kin 'ell", or similar at some of the rule bending. People worked there 40 hours a week and never once glanced at the fire precautions. I used to annoy the kids in entertainment halls, getting them to point out the fire exits and tell me what they'd do if an alarm went off or if they smelt smoke.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2012 14:51, ARWadsworth wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 13:49:44 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

dennis@home wrote:
"Tim wrote in message
tim.... wrote:

Dobbing them in to the local Fire Officer would be "being a
****"

Not really - dobbing a gratuitous[1] breach of fire and H&S
workplace regulations is not being a **** - it may save some
employees (ie nurse)'s life.

Like exit signs that lead the victim to a dead end - no signs
would be less
bad,or no fire extinguishers.

Its an easy choice, you tell them its wrong, if they don't do
anything you report it.
Many people are dead because of people not dobbing others in. If
adam was to go to said dentist again and they were still wrong
what would he do, ignore it and hope nothing happens?

Its exactly the same with the dimwit TMH, he was told not to
continue to incite people to commit crimes against persons
(harassment and bullying) and I asked TS to advise him to stop
doing so. He is a bit of an idiot but I think he has been much
more careful since. If someone had actually done as he said I
would have reported it to the police for action.

That's the problem with society these days, too many just ignore
what's going on and things get worse and worse.

At one time you could recommend UK.DIY to others if they need
help, now you have to warn them about the anti-social behaviour
first.

I would warn people from taking advice from fools that think you
take an injured cat to the dentists.

Well, dennis does inhabit another planet....

dennisworld?

Like Rimmerworld but without the charm?

(with apologies to Red Dwarf fans)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:

On Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:23:40 PM UTC, wrote:

Google for this... "glasgow james watt st fire"

Apparently, the fire doors were chained shut, I heard later.

Also the Stardust disco in Dublin. Exits padlocked to keep out non-payers,
44 dead in piles at the doors.

I did a few surveys of commercial properties in which you found yourself
thinking "'kin 'ell", or similar at some of the rule bending. People
worked there 40 hours a week and never once glanced at the fire
precautions.

Or the basic safety flaws. My wife used to rent business premises at a
local stately home. One of the reasons for giving up was the appalling
state of the building with an electrical system that had been wired by
an idiot (the owner). All of the sockets were daisy chained to an MCB
(yes, just one) but no circuit was on a ring. The circuit breaker used
to trip regularly (either in the local panel or the RCB located in a
nearby barn) and on one occasion when a 2kW heater was used with a fixed
13A socket the T&E cable started to smoke. Given that the building was
timber framed with timber cladding, had just one exit and stairs that
were too narrow, it was a death trap.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 24/03/2012 13:16, dennis@home wrote:

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
tim.... wrote:

Dobbing them in to the local Fire Officer would be "being a ****"

Not really - dobbing a gratuitous[1] breach of fire and H&S workplace
regulations is not being a **** - it may save some employees (ie
nurse)'s
life.

Like exit signs that lead the victim to a dead end - no signs would be
less
bad,or no fire extinguishers.

Its an easy choice, you tell them its wrong, if they don't do anything
you report it.

For once dennis says something sensible...

(although it does seem to conflict with his usual shoot first, don't
bother with the questions MO)

and then we return back to form with the sanctimonious **** routine...

That's the problem with society these days, too many just ignore what's
going on and things get worse and worse.
At one time you could recommend UK.DIY to others if they need help, now
you have to warn them about the anti-social behaviour first.

Or you could try to be more social, thus saving the problem in the first
place!

I am not the one that goes out in public and starts swearing in front of the
kids.
You might be BTW.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 16:26:29 +0000, grimly4 wrote:

On 24 Mar 2012 09:16:03 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 08:39:25 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Or could it just be that odd behaviour happens a lot but we only
remember it when its linked to something else.

Baader-Meinhof syndrome.

What, like cats are simply urban terrorists in furry coats?

http://everything2.com/title/Baader-Meinhof+syndrome

But yes, that too.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 24, 4:23*pm, wrote:
On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 14:56:27 +0000, Tim Watts
wrote:

If, OTOH, I ever see a blocked fire escape at M&S or Tescos...

I've been fairly twitchy about locked/chained fire escape doors since
the mid-60s in Glasgow, when the James Watt St fire happened.

Google for this... "glasgow james watt st fire"

Apparently, the fire doors were chained shut, I heard later.

The re was a big fire in Asuncion very similar not long since.
Hundreds killed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ycuá_Bo...permarket_fire
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 24, 4:40*pm, Onetap wrote:
On Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:23:40 PM UTC, wrote:
Google for this... "glasgow james watt st fire"

Apparently, the fire doors were chained shut, I heard later.

Also the Stardust disco in Dublin. Exits padlocked to keep out non-payers, 44 dead in piles at the doors.

* I did a few surveys of commercial properties in which you found yourself thinking "'kin 'ell", or similar at some of the rule bending. People worked there 40 hours a week and never once glanced at the fire precautions. I used to annoy the kids in entertainment halls, getting them to point out the fire exits and tell me what they'd do if an alarm went off or if they smelt smoke.

If you travel in third world countries, some of the hotels are
unbelievable.
It would be good to carry a rope. It would be the only chance of
escape in someplaces.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"S Viemeister" wrote in message

There was a major fire in NYC many years ago, with locked escape doors -
the Triangle Shirtwaist factory disaster.
You'd think people would have learned by now...

Not a chance.
A few years ago I watched a film at the Kings in west brom.
At the end we did the usual and went down the fire escape only to find that
some pillock had parked their car across the doors.
I bet he leant that it wasn't a good idea as the door hit it very hard,
several times.
It would have had even more damage if it hadn't gone by the time the forty
of fifty of us had walked back up and down the other exit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
tim.... wrote:

[...]

No. You are the one that goes out in public and the kids swear at you.

When the kids shout "look at that ****ing Joey" it is you that they are
shouting and pointing a finger at.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Mar 24, 4:26 pm, wrote:
What, like cats are simply urban terrorists in furry coats?

That certainly applies to some of them.

Been found with traces of explosive sandtex.

Owain

and how hard it is to achieve it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

When the kids shout "look at that ****ing Joey" it is you that they are
shouting and pointing a finger at.

Do kids still say "Joey"?

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
ARWadsworth wrote:

When the kids shout "look at that ****ing Joey" it is you that they are
shouting and pointing a finger at.

Do kids still say "Joey"?

ARW is the only child I have ever heard say that unless they were talking to
a budgie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:
On Mar 24, 4:26 pm, wrote:
What, like cats are simply urban terrorists in furry coats?

That certainly applies to some of them.

Been found with traces of explosive sandtex.

"How do you make a cat go woof?"

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2012 21:54, Adrian C wrote:
Owain wrote:
On Mar 24, 4:26 pm, wrote:
What, like cats are simply urban terrorists in furry coats?

That certainly applies to some of them.

Been found with traces of explosive sandtex.

"How do you make a cat go woof?"

Bucket of petrol and a match?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 24, 8:13*am, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:
The odd thing was my cat ran out and sat next to Ray's cat after the
accident and did not move until I had got it into a travel cage.

Cats will, they can have a very strong attachment and would stay all
night if necessary.

The emotional attachment can be very strong to owners.
When a neighbour had a stroke, the cat was found to have spent time
scratching her and gently nibbling her fingers. It had left a
perimeter of car hair between her body & arm having slept there
overnight. I do recall it howling in the porch, not warbling catawall
but a identical repeating howl. On finding me the next day it was
frantic for affection and kept going out to sit at the edge of
driveway with a very peculiar staring expression. When I finally went
out to the cat because it did not move even in the rain, it
immediately moved away and sat down again, moving again as I followed
it until it was on her driveway then ran to the back door (no cat
flap).

She was in the hall.

Whilst she was in hospital the cat would not leave her jumper, and
would sit outside looking up and down the road waiting for her.
Morning and night. She never did return. The cat would lay out in the
rain and not move, no-one would take it in - I am allergic but did
feed it, her cleaner did. The cat was re-homed by Cats Protection.

Cats sixth sense greeting owner's coming home is just memory &
acoustics - they are creatures of habit and security is number one,
despite seemingly... rather secure lives from a human perspective.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"S Viemeister" wrote in message

There was a major fire in NYC many years ago, with locked escape
doors - the Triangle Shirtwaist factory disaster.
You'd think people would have learned by now...

Not a chance.
A few years ago I watched a film at the Kings in west brom.
At the end we did the usual and went down the fire escape only to
find that some pillock had parked their car across the doors.
I bet he leant that it wasn't a good idea as the door hit it very
hard, several times.
It would have had even more damage if it hadn't gone by the time the
forty of fifty of us had walked back up and down the other exit.

Possibly removed by a clamping firm. They make more money by removal than
clamping and blocking fire exits usually gets a quick responce from them.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Tim Watts" wrote in message
tim.... wrote:

[...]

Police "Hello, how can I help you?"
Customer "I have someone keeps asking me for the money I owe them"

The mind boggles.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
tim.... wrote:

Dobbing them in to the local Fire Officer would be "being a ****"

Not really - dobbing a gratuitous[1] breach of fire and H&S workplace
regulations is not being a **** - it may save some employees (ie nurse)'s
life.

Like exit signs that lead the victim to a dead end - no signs would be
less
bad,or no fire extinguishers.

Its an easy choice, you tell them its wrong, if they don't do anything
you report it.
Many people are dead because of people not dobbing others in.
If adam was to go to said dentist again and they were still wrong what
would he do, ignore it and hope nothing happens?

Its exactly the same with the dimwit TMH, he was told not to continue to
incite people to commit crimes against persons (harassment and bullying)
and I asked TS to advise him to stop doing so.

And you did so only because you are a slippery, nasty, vindictive little
****.

First of all, what I do has got **** all to do with you, secondly
chasing up bitches who won't pay you isn't illegal.

Trading standards read through some of your posts - I had to tell them
what name to look for, since you sent a chicken **** anonymous e mail.
They agreed that you are a sad twisted little ******* (but not in so
many words).

He is a bit of an idiot but I think he has been much more careful since.
If someone had actually done as he said I would have reported it to the
police for action.

No you wouldn't. The police would insist on having your name & address
& you don't have the balls to reveal those details.

That's the problem with society these days, too many just ignore what's
going on and things get worse and worse.

They problem with society is arse holes like you

At one time you could recommend UK.DIY to others if they need help, now
you have to warn them about the anti-social behaviour first.

More useful to warn them about ****wits like you who think you take
injured cats to the dentist.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 11:17:46 +0100, ARWadsworth wrote:

It would have had even more damage if it hadn't gone by the time

the
forty of fifty of us had walked back up and down the other exit.

Possibly removed by a clamping firm. They make more money by removal
than clamping and blocking fire exits usually gets a quick responce from
them.

Naw, it went because the driver had just come out of the cinema via
another route.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim....
writes

"ARWadsworth" wrote in message
geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
I was looking after the next door neighbours cat but my other
nextdoor neighbour has just run it over.

Not looking after it very well then ...

hasn't it got another eight lives?

It must have used them up:-(

She was 17 years old and deaf. She could hardly walk and had gone for a
nap under Pauls car.

When I spoke to the vet on the phone and said the back end of the cat was
"flat" I doubt she believed me.

It took her 2 seconds to decide to put it down. Her words were "I have
never seen anything like that before, I must put it to sleep". That was
the Ł80 consultation fee done with.

As I am a **** I did point out that the veterinary practice did not have
the correct fire exit signs. They do have fire exit signs but they direct
you to a locked door.

I don't see how that's "being a ****"

Dobbing them in to the local Fire Officer would be "being a ****"

tim

Nah, setting fore to the place to prove your point - that would be
"being a ****".
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Sat, 24 Mar 2012 11:37:58 -0000, tim.... wrote:

As I am a **** I did point out that the veterinary practice did

not
have the correct fire exit signs. They do have fire exit signs but

they
direct you to a locked door.

I don't see how that's "being a ****"

Dobbing them in to the local Fire Officer would be "being a ****"

Quite agree, give it a week or two and revisit. If the signs are
still wrong and/or the door still locked then tell the local Fire
Officer. They've been told and had a chance to correct things.

I agree - if you happened to be going back anyway.

If not, I would dob them because IME if you report something like that to
the local bod, it's fairly rare for anything to actually be done.

I also tend to measure severity of response by how much they "should know
better".

eg small outfit with 1 or 2 staff, fair enough - it might be an oversight.

If, OTOH, I ever see a blocked fire escape at M&S or Tescos...

The general principle of H&S is that everyone has a responsibility. So
if you see a danger such as this and don't report it you could be liable
for prosecution.
--
hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

hugh wrote:
As I am a **** I did point out that the veterinary practice did
not have the correct fire exit signs. They do have fire exit
signs but they direct you to a locked door.

I don't see how that's "being a ****"

Dobbing them in to the local Fire Officer would be "being a ****"

tim

Nah, setting fore to the place to prove your point - that would be
"being a ****".

:-)

The voice of reason.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes

Clearly not fixable. Not so easy for town dwellers but, I would not
have taken it to a vet to be put down.

Had it been my cat and there were not crying women around I might have put
it down myself.

A neighbour of mine owned a Collie from a pup, when she became old and
unable to look after herself and was beginning to live a miserable life
he sat playing with her in the back garden and gently, sympathetically,
shot her with a 12 bore. She knew nothing. Unfortunately for him he
told others about her demise and ended up with the RSPCA on his case for
cruelty, anything less cruel is hard to imagine, she wasn't suffering
any more and didn't at the end, not even the stress of going to the
vets.

But I also had to think to what would happen if Ray was later told "Adam
chopped your cats head off in his back garden".

I am not that squeamish.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2012 13:49, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A few days later I see Mum over the fence and say hello, as I
always do. She confronts me with the question, did I run over
the cat? Well, of course I didn't. I doubt she believed me,
or the bit about the passer-by knocking on my door.

Reminds me once when a teenage lad got knocked off his bike by a taxi
outside our house - we heard the screech and bang and went out to see
what was what. Lad was shaken but undamaged, unlike his bike. As we
had a fairly large estate car, I was able to stick the bike in the back
and ran him to where he was going, a couple of miles away...

....mum comes out of the house, takes in the sight of the squashed bike,
forlorn son, and me, and looks absolutely aghast - lays in to me big
time for nearly killing her son before either me or the kid could even
get a word in edgeways...

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Owain wrote:

On Mar 25, 12:53 pm, "ARWadsworth" wrote:

I did play it back on my CCTV. The cat that was run over screamed at it was
run over. My cat did run out the catflap and up to it.

Well, that's be a Youtube hit ...

I think I'll pass, thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Firth wrote:
Onetap wrote:

[...]

Windsor Castle?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/03/2012 17:21, Bill wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

Clearly not fixable. Not so easy for town dwellers but, I would not
have taken it to a vet to be put down.

Had it been my cat and there were not crying women around I might have
put
it down myself.

A neighbour of mine owned a Collie from a pup, when she became old and
unable to look after herself and was beginning to live a miserable life
he sat playing with her in the back garden and gently, sympathetically,
shot her with a 12 bore. She knew nothing. Unfortunately for him he told
others about her demise and ended up with the RSPCA on his case for
cruelty, anything less cruel is hard to imagine, she wasn't suffering
any more and didn't at the end, not even the stress of going to the vets.

Dis he actually get end up convicted (or prosecuted) though? Because if
the only story the RSPCA were given was "man blows away dog with
shotgun" they would be quite right to investigate...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/03/2012 12:30, ARWadsworth wrote:

Had it been my cat and there were not crying women around I might have put
it down myself.

Angle Grinder. ;-)

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
On 25/03/2012 17:21, Bill wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

A neighbour of mine owned a Collie from a pup, when she became old and
unable to look after herself and was beginning to live a miserable life
he sat playing with her in the back garden and gently, sympathetically,
shot her with a 12 bore. She knew nothing. Unfortunately for him he told
others about her demise and ended up with the RSPCA on his case for
cruelty, anything less cruel is hard to imagine, she wasn't suffering
any more and didn't at the end, not even the stress of going to the vets.

Dis he actually get end up convicted (or prosecuted) though? Because
if the only story the RSPCA were given was "man blows away dog with
shotgun" they would be quite right to investigate...

David

I believe that he was sternly warned not to do it again, probably so as
not to set a precedent, so presumably some common sense was used, he
certainly had a few months worrying about it before he was told though.

I imagine that they, quite sensibly, don't want every Tom, Dick and
Harry putting their own pets down as some may do it so humanely.

--
Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes
On 24/03/2012 13:49, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

A few days later I see Mum over the fence and say hello, as I
always do. She confronts me with the question, did I run over
the cat? Well, of course I didn't. I doubt she believed me,
or the bit about the passer-by knocking on my door.

Reminds me once when a teenage lad got knocked off his bike by a taxi
outside our house - we heard the screech and bang and went out to see
what was what. Lad was shaken but undamaged, unlike his bike. As we
had a fairly large estate car, I was able to stick the bike in the back
and ran him to where he was going, a couple of miles away...

...mum comes out of the house, takes in the sight of the squashed bike,
forlorn son, and me, and looks absolutely aghast - lays in to me big
time for nearly killing her son before either me or the kid could even
get a word in edgeways...

No good deed goes unpunished . . . .

Sad really.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

First of all, what I do has got **** all to do with you, secondly chasing
up bitches who won't pay you isn't illegal.

Harassment is illegal.

Trading standards read through some of your posts - I had to tell them
what name to look for, since you sent a chicken **** anonymous e mail.
They agreed that you are a sad twisted little ******* (but not in so many
words).

Do you think they would like a list of your posts so they can see what sort
of person they are recommending?
I bet you didn't even send them my posts as you think I am someone else.

He is a bit of an idiot but I think he has been much more careful since.
If someone had actually done as he said I would have reported it to the
police for action.

No you wouldn't. The police would insist on having your name & address &
you don't have the balls to reveal those details.

The TS could have contacted me if they wanted to, they had my contact
details.

So do you want me to send them a list of your posts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

Or the basic safety flaws. My wife used to rent business premises at a
local stately home. One of the reasons for giving up was the appalling
state of the building with an electrical system that had been wired by
an idiot (the owner). All of the sockets were daisy chained to an MCB
(yes, just one) but no circuit was on a ring. The circuit breaker used
to trip regularly (either in the local panel or the RCB located in a
nearby barn) and on one occasion when a 2kW heater was used with a
fixed 13A socket the T&E cable started to smoke. Given that the
building was timber framed with timber cladding, had just one exit
and stairs that were too narrow, it was a death trap.

Windsor Castle?

Heh, no, it's a local pile that nowadays is an international school, but
family inheritances have divided up the grounds with one family member
leasing outbuildings for commercial use. Best customers used to be the
kids from the school buying presents to send to relatives.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I wasn't harassing anyone you slippery little ****. I was chasing up a
bad debt. And it has **** all to do with you.

Trading standards read through some of your posts - I had to tell them
what name to look for, since you sent a chicken **** anonymous e mail.
They agreed that you are a sad twisted little ******* (but not in so
many words).

Do you think they would like a list of your posts so they can see what
sort of person they are recommending?
I bet you didn't even send them my posts as you think I am someone else.

What do you mean 'I think you are someone else'?

He is a bit of an idiot but I think he has been much more careful since.
If someone had actually done as he said I would have reported it to the
police for action.

No you wouldn't. The police would insist on having your name & address
& you don't have the balls to reveal those details.

The TS could have contacted me if they wanted to, they had my contact
details.

No they didn't. They had an anonymous e mail address.

So do you want me to send them a list of your posts?

Do you seriously think they would take you seriously after last time?
They are used to dealing with nutters.

Can anyone find this ****s real name & address for me?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Dennis, c/o Gnasher
http://www.beano.com/contact

Posted to uk.d-i-y

brass monkey wrote:
Can anyone find this ****s real name & address for me?

Dennis, c/o Gnasher
http://www.beano.com/contact

our dennis is funnier than the Beano's Dennis.

--
Adam

electric double oben dead - suspect fan element but why whole lot dead? Jim K[_3_] UK diy 33 November 15th 11 12:55 AM
More dead in Mexican Drug war in 3 yrs....5 x the number of dead in Iraq/Aghanistan Bill Noble[_2_] Metalworking 1 April 27th 10 05:57 AM
Dead TVs tundra Electronics Repair 9 August 23rd 06 10:51 PM
CTC 185 dead. Dani Electronics Repair 1 August 21st 06 01:45 PM
Panasonic G520 mobile phone - dead battery or dead phone? Just Allan Electronics Repair 0 July 18th 05 01:27 PM