Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT New French breathalyser law

"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and
a first aid kit.

There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

Baguettes and the ability to lose wars against the Germans?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Another Dave
writes

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...dfordrivinginf
rance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Reading between the lines it sounds like a scam lobbied for by the ferry
companies so they can make healthy returns on the sale of the gear. I
assume locals wont bother and wont get pulled either.

On the triangles, I wonder how many broken down have been wiped out when
deploying them? Didn't know it had been bumped up to 2 though.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:

On the triangles, I wonder how many broken down have been wiped out when
deploying them? Didn't know it had been bumped up to 2 though.

Only if you have a caravan or drift into Spain I think.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2012 19:55, ARWadsworth wrote:
Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and
a first aid kit.

There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

Baguettes and the ability to lose wars against the Germans?

http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...ndermonkey.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and
a first aid kit.

There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

Baguettes and the ability to lose wars against the Germans?

http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...armyknife2.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in France
to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Bar of chocolate, 2 packs nylons, gross of contraceptives........
Oh, hang on, that was pre-EEC.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...itstoberequire...

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx

If like me - you're teetotal - it couldn't be more pointless.

Perhaps I should carry Gauloise in case I take up smoking unexpectedly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Another Dave writes:
fred wrote:

On the triangles, I wonder how many broken down have been wiped out when
deploying them? Didn't know it had been bumped up to 2 though.

Only if you have a caravan or drift into Spain I think.

Another Dave

I once saw an English tourist putting up a triangle where they'd
broken down in Rome, and laughed. It was run over 3 seconds later...

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2012 19:39, Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Another Dave

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nce_Monaco.pdf

Suggests that although you are right on the breathalyser, not all the
rest is needed. Source?

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

I once saw an English tourist putting up a triangle where they'd
broken down in Rome, and laughed. It was run over 3 seconds later...

I would laugh too, mine has a base made from 9 mm steel so they would ruin
their tyres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...iredfordriving

infrance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and
a first aid kit.

There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

Baguettes and the ability to lose wars against the Germans?

Proper French baguettes are fab for all except those with soft doe like
mouths.

Top memories of a youthful late season holiday in the quieter south of
France, walking into a bar and being accused of being English. After a
tense silence the we were embraced, given apologies and bought drinks
when we revealed in halting French that we were Ecossais.

We've always had a Gaelic affinity and I love it! Only shandy drinkers
need fear this.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , fred writes
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...tstoberequired
fordriving

infrance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and
a first aid kit.

There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

Baguettes and the ability to lose wars against the Germans?

Proper French baguettes are fab for all except those with soft doe like
mouths.

Top memories of a youthful late season holiday in the quieter south of
France, walking into a bar and being accused of being English. After a
tense silence the we were embraced, given apologies and bought drinks
when we revealed in halting French that we were Ecossais.

We've always had a Gaelic affinity and I love it! Only shandy drinkers
need fear this.

Did they offer you porridge

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nce_Monaco.pdf

Suggests that although you are right on the breathalyser, not all the
rest is needed. Source?

I didn't say all of it was needed, though most is, just that I carried
it. It's all recommended by the Caravan Club and some of it is mandatory
in countries other than France through which I transit.

I've now noticed that satnavs which warn of speed traps are illegal and
that there are no longer any of those civilised warning signs just
before a radar trap.

What with all that and the burgeoning wind farms I think I'll stay at home.

Another Dave

--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Another Dave
writes
Andy Champ wrote:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nce_Monaco.pdf
Suggests that although you are right on the breathalyser, not all
the rest is needed. Source?

I didn't say all of it was needed, though most is, just that I carried
it. It's all recommended by the Caravan Club and some of it is
mandatory in countries other than France through which I transit.

I've now noticed that satnavs which warn of speed traps are illegal and
that there are no longer any of those civilised warning signs just
before a radar trap.

But academic unless they actually catch you

AFAIK, we don't have any cross border agreements with any european
countries

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , geoff
writes
In message , fred writes
In article , ARWadsworth
writes

Baguettes and the ability to lose wars against the Germans?

Proper French baguettes are fab for all except those with soft doe like
mouths.

Top memories of a youthful late season holiday in the quieter south of
France, walking into a bar and being accused of being English. After a
tense silence the we were embraced, given apologies and bought drinks
when we revealed in halting French that we were Ecossais.

We've always had a Gaelic affinity and I love it! Only shandy drinkers
need fear this.

Did they offer you porridge

No but they told me where the light switch was in the toilet, a huge
advantage.

Believe it or not I had porridge this morning, proper salted build
too[1], I have it when I've got a really physical day and need a good
start.

[1] sugar later to make it at least partially edible (out of raisins so
no fillers).
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message

I've now noticed that satnavs which warn of speed traps are illegal and
that there are no longer any of those civilised warning signs just before
a radar trap.

Why not just drive properly and then you don't need those.

I would be OK with my tomtom, the first thing I did was turn off the speed
camera warnings as they are annoying and serve no useful purpose.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 21:37:46 +0000, fred wrote:

Top memories of a youthful late season holiday in the quieter south of
France, walking into a bar and being accused of being English. After a
tense silence the we were embraced, given apologies and bought drinks
when we revealed in halting French that we were Ecossais.

We've always had a Gaelic affinity and I love it!

Even after todays Rugby result?

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2012 19:39, Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

Windscreen emission level sticker for several German cities that have
low emission zones.

A set of bulbs would be difficult for my car, as it has no user
changeable bulbs.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Another Dave" wrote in message

I've now noticed that satnavs which warn of speed traps are illegal
and that there are no longer any of those civilised warning signs
just before a radar trap.

Why not just drive properly and then you don't need those.

I would be OK with my tomtom, the first thing I did was turn off the
speed camera warnings as they are annoying and serve no useful
purpose.

Well it would serve no purpose to you as you sit at the back of the bus
licking the windows on your journeys.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

AFAIK, we don't have any cross border agreements with any european
countries

Do this mob have legal authority, or just send threatening letters?

http://www.sparksproject.org

This looks like the next stage from 2013, but the UK appears to have
opted-out

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/en/pressroom/content/20110629BKG22876/html/Cross-border-traffic-offence-penalties-to-improve-road-safety
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
geoff wrote:

AFAIK, we don't have any cross border agreements with any european
countries

Do this mob have legal authority, or just send threatening letters?

http://www.sparksproject.org

A discussion group

This looks like the next stage from 2013, but the UK appears to have
opted-out

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/e...0110629BKG2287
6/html/Cross-border-traffic-offence-penalties-to-improve-road-safety

" But many Member States have not yet fully transposed this decision
into their national laws and the administrative mechanism that it
introduces has not proven able to deal with large numbers of road
traffic offences.|"

So, not really

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Andy Burns writes

http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/e...0110629BKG2287
6/html/Cross-border-traffic-offence-penalties-to-improve-road-safety

" But many Member States have not yet fully transposed this decision
into their national laws and the administrative mechanism that it
introduces has not proven able to deal with large numbers of road
traffic offences.|"

So, not really

That's the paragraph explaining why the 2005 attempt needed replacing by
the 2011 version ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff writes:
In message , Another Dave
writes
Andy Champ wrote:

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nce_Monaco.pdf
Suggests that although you are right on the breathalyser, not all
the rest is needed. Source?

I didn't say all of it was needed, though most is, just that I carried
it. It's all recommended by the Caravan Club and some of it is
mandatory in countries other than France through which I transit.

I've now noticed that satnavs which warn of speed traps are illegal and
that there are no longer any of those civilised warning signs just
before a radar trap.

But academic unless they actually catch you

AFAIK, we don't have any cross border agreements with any european
countries

We do - The Criminal Justice and Immigration Bill brings into force
an EU Directive for recovering fines resulting from criminal activities
across EU borders. I've no idea if it really works in the case of Brits
traveling abroad. A lot hinges on the fines being for criminal
activities, so it can't be used to recover things like UK parking fines,
which are civil fines, not criminal.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

A set of bulbs would be difficult for my car, as it has no user
changeable bulbs.

That doesn't sound very helpful, but is the way maintenance seems
to be going these days.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2012 21:37, fred wrote:
In article , ARWadsworth
writes
Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...iredfordriving

infrance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and
a first aid kit.

There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

Baguettes and the ability to lose wars against the Germans?

Proper French baguettes are fab for all except those with soft doe like
mouths.

Top memories of a youthful late season holiday in the quieter south of
France, walking into a bar and being accused of being English. After a
tense silence the we were embraced, given apologies and bought drinks
when we revealed in halting French that we were Ecossais.

Hmph. I (an Englishman) remember holidaying in France many years ago
and visiting the baker with a view to the acquisition of some breakfast.
Behind the counter were racks upon racks of freshly-baked baguettes.
"Un baguette, s'il vous plait!" I said, in my best schoolboy French,
when my turn came.

"Huh?" Much Gallic shrugging and furrowing of brows ensued. "Un
baguette, s'il vous plait!"

Zilch. I mean, I'm sure my accent isn't the best, but come on, how bad
can it be?

My new friend consulted her colleague at the counter, and the shrugs
just doubled. Mystified, I pointed at the shelves behind her, and
repeated my request again.

"Ah - vous voulais UNE baguette!" and realisation apparently finally
dawned, as she handed one over. FFS. Excuse me for forgetting that
your bread is female.

Symptomatic of why France is not my destination of choice for holidays.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Streater :
There's a section of some autostrada on the west coast of Italy, near
the top, which is very bendy and alternates between tunnels and
viaducts. In 1975 coming out of a tunnel at speed onto a viaduct that
curved to the left, it became apparent that there'd been an earlier
smash in the nearside lane. Screeching of brakes all round, and the
cars in the inside lane ran into the back of the smash, much to the
annoyance [1] of the Italian cop who'd recently put a triangle or cone
about ten feet back from the smash. This of course was completely
invisible to the inside lane traffic, due to the curve and the parapet
of the viaduct. It obviously hadn't occurred to the fathead to put his
warning signs at the exit to the tunnel - or at any rate much further
back.

Luckily I was able to brake and not hit the car in front and pushed off
toot sweet.

Presto pronto, surely?

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2012 21:10, Andy Champ wrote:
On 26/02/2012 19:39, Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Another Dave

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice...nce_Monaco.pdf

Suggests that although you are right on the breathalyser, not all the
rest is needed. Source?

It was mentioned in the Sunday Times 26 Feb (online article will be
behind a paywall though). Apparently the penalty for non-compliance is
an on-the-spot fine of 9 quid so it's not a disaster...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Another Dave" wrote in message
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in France
to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Just occured to me that there must be a market for dummy devices.
I mean, they can't make you blow into the device because then you don't have
a working breathalyser.
This based on the possibly unwarranted assumption that a £2 device is one
shot.
Pot of glue and some sticky backed plastic, anyone?
Damn, I think I just went on topic.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I heard about this. Surely with the current tech, we should be able to
make a vehicle that won't allow drunk people to start it up?
Brian

--
Brian Gaff -
in the display name may be lost.
"Another Dave" wrote in message
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in France
to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote
Nightjar wrote

A set of bulbs would be difficult for my car, as it has no user changeable bulbs.

That doesn't sound very helpful,

It is actually when only a single led fails and you dont give
a damn because there are so many more than havent failed.

but is the way maintenance seems to be going these days.

It is with lights with cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Chris J Dixon wrote
Nightjar wrote

A set of bulbs would be difficult for my car, as it has no user
changeable bulbs.

That doesn't sound very helpful,

It is actually when only a single led fails and you dont give
a damn because there are so many more than havent failed.

I couldn't work out how to replace a dip beam bulb in my Passat. I had the
bulb from a set I bought before going to France last year, but I was damned
if I could work out how to release the clip holding the old one in.

I had to resort to looking it up in the handbook, the answer!
"This is a main dealer operation"

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/02/2012 07:31, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Nightjar wrote:

A set of bulbs would be difficult for my car, as it has no user
changeable bulbs.

That doesn't sound very helpful, but is the way maintenance seems
to be going these days.

The headlights use dangerously high voltages and everything else uses
LEDs, which not only have a much longer life expectancy, they also have
multiple redundancy.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 22:24:05 +0000, Tim Streater wrote:

much to the annoyance [1] of the Italian cop who'd recently put a
triangle or cone about ten feet back from the smash.

I've seen these triangles put out like that over here, useless.
Personally I can't see any point in them at all unless placed before
a corner or other obstruction that is blocking the view of
approaching traffic but I've never seen that they are normally just
10' away...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar wrote:

A set of bulbs would be difficult for my car, as it has no user
changeable bulbs.

That doesn't sound very helpful, but is the way maintenance seems
to be going these days.

The headlights use dangerously high voltages and everything else uses
LEDs, which not only have a much longer life expectancy, they also have
multiple redundancy.

but, what usually fails is the electronics driving the LEDs, rather than
the LEDs themselves.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/02/2012 21:37, fred wrote:
Top memories of a youthful late season holiday in the quieter south of
France, walking into a bar and being accused of being English. After a
tense silence the we were embraced, given apologies and bought drinks
when we revealed in halting French that we were Ecossais...

Many years ago, I was not allowed to pay for anything in a bar in a
remote area of France because I am English. I may not have taken part in
the liberation of France, but they were not going to stop that from
allowing them to express their appreciation of it happening.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 26 Feb 2012 19:39:35 +0000, Another Dave
wrote:

"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...nfr ance.html

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

Don't forget the metal detector.

Another Dave
--
Change nospam to gmx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Lobster
writes

[...]

I think you'll find dicks wherever you go but I may have been lucky. My
nicest experiences were in the south where reputedly things are a bit
more laid back. The guys at the ticket counter in Gare du Nord were
utter arseholes but they may have been worn down by (some) English
speaking foreigners expecting English to be spoken wherever they went.
--
fred
it's a ba-na-na . . . .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"MuddyMike" wrote in message
om...

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
Chris J Dixon wrote
Nightjar wrote

A set of bulbs would be difficult for my car, as it has no user
changeable bulbs.

That doesn't sound very helpful,

It is actually when only a single led fails and you dont give
a damn because there are so many more than havent failed.

I couldn't work out how to replace a dip beam bulb in my Passat. I had the
bulb from a set I bought before going to France last year, but I was
damned if I could work out how to release the clip holding the old one in.

I had to resort to looking it up in the handbook, the answer!
"This is a main dealer operation"

You are lucky, I was driving a Smart, you have to unbolt the front and
remove it to get to the lamps.
At least the new ones (~2009) can be done without unbolting the front half.

French Polishing - need help please FarmI Woodworking 5 June 29th 09 11:51 AM
French TV channels Patty UK diy 9 October 1st 06 10:58 AM
French Adaptors John UK diy 17 May 21st 05 11:57 AM
OT-The French Gunner Metalworking 25 January 8th 05 09:41 AM
French taps Andy Evans UK diy 7 December 23rd 04 05:40 PM