Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT New French breathalyser law

On 01/03/2012 21:24, ARWadsworth wrote:
No such thing as random breath tests in the
UK:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Not in law. In practice...

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9421...s tmas_blitz/

AKA

http://tinyurl.com/8726f4o

which is the second hit for "police breath tests christmas"

"Officers have so far conducted 1,164 roadside breath tests." ...
"police have made 43 arrests". That's about 3.5%. If they're wrong 19
times out of 20 how is that not random?

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Champ wrote:
On 01/03/2012 21:24, ARWadsworth wrote:
No such thing as random breath tests in the
UK:-))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Not in law. In practice...

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/9421...s tmas_blitz/

AKA

http://tinyurl.com/8726f4o

which is the second hit for "police breath tests christmas"

"Officers have so far conducted 1,164 roadside breath tests." ...
"police have made 43 arrests". That's about 3.5%. If they're wrong 19
times out of 20 how is that not random?

what it presumably shows that there are an awful lot of very poor drivers
about.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.18

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/03/2012 22:52, geoff wrote:
In Jakarta, you used to be able to "rent" kids to travel in your car
with you

Most of them looked adult to me. That was their job - to travel into
town with the rich guys in the morning, hang about all day, then travel
back in the evening.

Interesting place isn't it!

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Martin wrote:
On Wed, 29 Feb 2012 18:52:33 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Martin wrote:
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 18:05:57 -0000, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

In the van I have a hi vis paramedics waterproof jacket.
Along with the hi vis T Shirt and the waterproof hi vis
trousers.

and a nurses uniform :-)

A high viz one?

For an inflatable doll?

I have often thought about putting one of those in the passenger
seat to allow me to use the HOV lanes in Leeds.

In Jakarta, you used to be able to "rent" kids to travel in your car
with you

How much extra was it to pay for them to do the driving?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 01/03/2012 22:52, geoff wrote:
In Jakarta, you used to be able to "rent" kids to travel in your car
with you

Most of them looked adult to me. That was their job - to travel into
town with the rich guys in the morning, hang about all day, then travel
back in the evening.

Interesting place isn't it!

Nah its horrible, one massive gridlocked traffic jam

Accidentally went down one of those streets once when I got lost.
Fifteen minutes of haggling got the backsheesh down from 50,000 rupiah
to 20,000

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
geoff wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

wrote:

In the van I have a hi vis paramedics waterproof jacket.
Along with the hi vis T Shirt and the waterproof hi vis
trousers.

and a nurses uniform :-)

A high viz one?

For an inflatable doll?

I have often thought about putting one of those in the passenger
seat to allow me to use the HOV lanes in Leeds.

In Jakarta, you used to be able to "rent" kids to travel in your car
with you

How much extra was it to pay for them to do the driving?

The ones that can drive are already out driving public minibusses
(angkutan kota) around

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 29, 4:25*pm, Nightjar
wrote:
On 28/02/2012 19:07, Halmyre wrote:

FFS. We're hoping to take the wife's MX5 to France and Italy this
year. By the time we've got all the compulsory crap in it there'll be
no room for her, the luggage and me. And I know where I'll be in the
queue with the luggage...

Leave the luggage and take a credit card. I'm sure the wife will enjoy
shopping for clothes in France and Italy.

Thanks, I'll be sure to suggest that to her...

--
Halmyre

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2012 22:17, geoff wrote:
Interesting place isn't it!

Nah its horrible, one massive gridlocked traffic jam

I said it was interesting, not nice.

Accidentally went down one of those streets once when I got lost.
Fifteen minutes of haggling got the backsheesh down from 50,000 rupiah
to 20,000

I didn't try to drive - had locals doing it for me (I was out on a
support call). I liked the description one of them gave of a river
through the middle. "People swim in it, they do their lanudry in it,
they S*** in it. On a good day you can see all 3 at once".

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote
geoff wrote

Interesting place isn't it!

Nah its horrible, one massive gridlocked traffic jam

I said it was interesting, not nice.

Accidentally went down one of those streets once when I got lost. Fifteen minutes of haggling got the backsheesh down
from 50,000 rupiah to 20,000

I didn't try to drive - had locals doing it for me (I was out on a
support call). I liked the description one of them gave of a river
through the middle. "People swim in it, they do their lanudry in it,
they S*** in it. On a good day you can see all 3 at once".

And in India they toss their corpses into it and drink it as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Champ
writes
On 02/03/2012 22:17, geoff wrote:
Interesting place isn't it!

Nah its horrible, one massive gridlocked traffic jam

I said it was interesting, not nice.

Accidentally went down one of those streets once when I got lost.
Fifteen minutes of haggling got the backsheesh down from 50,000 rupiah
to 20,000

I didn't try to drive - had locals doing it for me (I was out on a
support call). I liked the description one of them gave of a river
through the middle. "People swim in it, they do their lanudry in it,
they S*** in it. On a good day you can see all 3 at once".

I had a driver for work, but preferred driving myself around in the
evening. Even after three years, I was uneasy being driven around.

Mind you , at the moment, you'd be better off with a boat, it's hardly
stopped raining for the past week - hot, humid and uncomfortable

I should be over there at the moment for my s-i-l's funeral, but I
can't take the time off

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Halmyre wrote:
On Feb 26, 7:39 pm, Another Dave wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...itstoberequire...

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

FFS. We're hoping to take the wife's MX5 to France and Italy this
year. By the time we've got all the compulsory crap in it there'll be
no room for her, the luggage and me. And I know where I'll be in the
queue with the luggage...

Take the approach that I have and buy a house at your destination then when
you drive there you only need to take enough clothes for the stopover.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/4/2012 8:02 AM, Steve Firth wrote:
wrote:
On Feb 26, 7:39 pm, Another wrote:
"A new measure will soon require all foreign and local motorists in
France to carry £2 breathalyzer kits in their cars."

http://www.ferryonline.co.uk/news/20...itstoberequire...

We already carry two warning triangles, two luminous vests, a fire
extinguisher, a spare pair of spectacles, a complete set of bulbs and a
first aid kit. There's probably other stuff I don't even know about.

It's a minefield out there

FFS. We're hoping to take the wife's MX5 to France and Italy this
year. By the time we've got all the compulsory crap in it there'll be
no room for her, the luggage and me. And I know where I'll be in the
queue with the luggage...

Take the approach that I have and buy a house at your destination then when
you drive there you only need to take enough clothes for the stopover.

That's our solution, too except for the car - we fly, but only need
carry-ons.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/03/2012 13:02, Steve Firth wrote:
Take the approach that I have and buy a house at your destination then when
you drive there you only need to take enough clothes for the stopover.

Different requirements. I'm in the middle of planning our summer tour;
it's to a region we've never been before, and we are planning single
nights in a series of hotels.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:

On 04/03/2012 13:02, Steve Firth wrote:
Take the approach that I have and buy a house at your destination then when
you drive there you only need to take enough clothes for the stopover.

Different requirements. I'm in the middle of planning our summer tour;
it's to a region we've never been before, and we are planning single
nights in a series of hotels.

Oh in that case just take an overnight bag and your black American
Express card.

French Polishing - need help please FarmI Woodworking 5 June 29th 09 11:51 AM
French TV channels Patty UK diy 9 October 1st 06 10:58 AM
French Adaptors John UK diy 17 May 21st 05 11:57 AM
OT-The French Gunner Metalworking 25 January 8th 05 09:41 AM
French taps Andy Evans UK diy 7 December 23rd 04 05:40 PM