Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default reduce diameter of broom handle to fit broom head

The broom handle has broken near the head.

I want to cut the broken bit of the handle and refit the head

The original handle was reduced in diameter at the end to fit the hole
in the broom head.

The fitting on the head is plastic so can't make hole bigger

I need to reduce the diameter of the handle along a length of 2" to
fit into head. It needs to be uniform for a good fit.

I have no lathe.

I've tried to do this before using a table saw tuning the handle held
against the mitre gauge against the blade.

It sort of works but it really needs a jig of some sort to be safe and
accurate.

Any body got any good ideas other than buy a new broom ?

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 12:22*pm, wrote:
The broom handle has broken near the head.

I want to cut the broken bit of the handle and refit the head

The original handle was reduced in diameter at the end to fit the hole
in the broom head.

The fitting on the head is plastic *so can't make hole bigger

I need to reduce the diameter of the handle along a length of 2" to
fit into head. It needs to be uniform for a good fit.

I have no lathe.

I've tried to do this before using a table saw *tuning the handle held
against the mitre gauge *against the blade.

It sort of works but it really needs a jig of some sort to be safe and
accurate.

Any body got any good ideas other than buy a new broom ?

Chris

Spokeshave would be the classic tool for the job, Stanley knife if I
had no other tools.

I've read (but not tried) that you can use the fence rather than the
mitre gauge on a table saw to do this.

Fence set to less than the diameter of the broom handle, end of the
broom handle introduced a few mm between blade and fence, turn the
broom handle axially until the diameter reduced, advance another few
mm, repeat.

This procedure doesn't sound entirely safe, with a chance that the
blade may snatch at the job - but likely to be quicker than your
original method.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2012 13:10, wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:22 pm, wrote:
[...]

I would imagine if doing this, you would want to locate the handle in
the corner of the table to fence angle, and advance into the blade a
couple of inches and then withdraw it completely. Then rotate a small
amount and repeat. Don't go twisting the shaft while it is in the blade
since that will be a good way for bad things to happen. Keep doing this
until you have made enough cuts to have a round enough polygon.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 20, 12:22*pm, wrote:
The broom handle has broken near the head.

I want to cut the broken bit of the handle and refit the head

The original handle was reduced in diameter at the end to fit the hole
in the broom head.

The fitting on the head is plastic *so can't make hole bigger

I need to reduce the diameter of the handle along a length of 2" to
fit into head. It needs to be uniform for a good fit.

I have no lathe.

I've tried to do this before using a table saw *tuning the handle held
against the mitre gauge *against the blade.

It sort of works but it really needs a jig of some sort to be safe and
accurate.

Any body got any good ideas other than buy a new broom ?

Chris

Buy a new broom, life's to short!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

I'd clamp it in the jaws of the workmate and use a rasp on it.

I used to have a mate like that.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graham Jones" wrote in message
On Feb 20, 12:22 pm, wrote:
The broom handle has broken near the head.

I want to cut the broken bit of the handle and refit the head

The original handle was reduced in diameter at the end to fit the hole
in the broom head.

The fitting on the head is plastic so can't make hole bigger

I need to reduce the diameter of the handle along a length of 2" to
fit into head. It needs to be uniform for a good fit.

I have no lathe.

I've tried to do this before using a table saw tuning the handle held
against the mitre gauge against the blade.

It sort of works but it really needs a jig of some sort to be safe and
accurate.

Any body got any good ideas other than buy a new broom ?

Chris

Buy a new broom, life's to short!

That is the correct answer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/02/2012 15:37, Graham Jones wrote:
On Feb 20, 12:22 pm, wrote:
The broom handle has broken near the head.

I want to cut the broken bit of the handle and refit the head

The original handle was reduced in diameter at the end to fit the hole
in the broom head.

The fitting on the head is plastic so can't make hole bigger

I need to reduce the diameter of the handle along a length of 2" to
fit into head. It needs to be uniform for a good fit.

I have no lathe.

I've tried to do this before using a table saw tuning the handle held
against the mitre gauge against the blade.

It sort of works but it really needs a jig of some sort to be safe and
accurate.

Any body got any good ideas other than buy a new broom ?

Chris

Buy a new broom, life's to short!

Reminds me of the Only Fools and Horses sketch with trigger saying he
had the same broom for 30 years....

It had 10 new heads and 7 handles it that time though....

--
Regards
Camdor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson :
I've had a Surform plane for around 40 years. It was only used
occasionally, and I hadn't seen it for several years. Recently, I
realised that it was a good tool for what I wanted to do, so I dug it
out from where it was hiding. Then it suddenly dawned on me, "Is it
pronounced "sir form", or is it "sure form" (which is what I've always
called it)?

surf-orm in our family.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Ian Jackson :
I've had a Surform plane for around 40 years. It was only used
occasionally, and I hadn't seen it for several years. Recently, I
realised that it was a good tool for what I wanted to do, so I dug it
out from where it was hiding. Then it suddenly dawned on me, "Is it
pronounced "sir form", or is it "sure form" (which is what I've always
called it)?

surf-orm in our family.

Thanks for the three 'verdicts'. Actually, I really meant to say I
called "sir form", so I guess that "sir-form" or "surf-orm" wins 4 to 3.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Mike Barnes
writes
Ian Jackson :
I've had a Surform plane for around 40 years. It was only used
occasionally, and I hadn't seen it for several years. Recently, I
realised that it was a good tool for what I wanted to do, so I dug it
out from where it was hiding. Then it suddenly dawned on me, "Is it
pronounced "sir form", or is it "sure form" (which is what I've always
called it)?

surf-orm in our family.

Thanks for the three 'verdicts'. Actually, I really meant to say I
called "sir form", so I guess that "sir-form" or "surf-orm" wins 4 to 3.

all wrong, "cheese grater"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surfirm pronounce like €œsir€ form. From the Latin word sur meaning over and above.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Surfirm pronounce like €œsir€ form. From the Latin word sur meaning over and above.

Youre replying to a 6 year old message and you cant even spell €œSurform€
correctly.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes I have had this same broom for 10 years its only had two new handles
and4 new heads.
Bryan

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Tim+" wrote in message
Surfirm pronounce like "sir" form. From the Latin word sur meaning over
and above.

You're replying to a 6 year old message and you can't even spell "Surform"
correctly.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Never reduce the diameter with a sharp tool. Timber is a natural product and expands and contracts. Take a hammer and hit around the end of the pole to flatten it just enough to bang the handle home. The timber will return to its original size and shape and give a solid tight fit. Wack the screw in and bobs your uncle πŸ‘
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe but I used to take the opposite approach, making the hole slightly
bigger, otherwise you get the lateral wobble issue I found.
Brian

--
----- --

wrote in message
Never reduce the diameter with a sharp tool. Timber is a natural product and
expands and contracts. Take a hammer and hit around the end of the pole to
flatten it just enough to bang the handle home. The timber will return to
its original size and shape and give a solid tight fit. Wack the screw in
and bobs your uncle ??

Wood broom handle fit problem Tom Gardner Woodworking 5 August 2nd 06 03:55 AM
Broom Hilda Bill Gill Home Repair 0 October 16th 05 02:26 PM
If you turn Scotch Broom are you a turning addict? charlie b Woodturning 9 October 6th 05 08:19 PM
Broom Handle Thread Specs? Peter T. Keillor III Metalworking 16 February 5th 05 06:40 AM
"nice quality" (and wide) push-broom: how to clean it? David Combs Home Repair 2 August 6th 03 12:41 AM