Peter T. Keillor III

Default Broom Handle Thread Specs?

Does anybody know the dimensions for a broom handle thread? I had no
luck with Google. I need to make a clamp with extension handle for
the flush kit for my outboard. The outboard is too old to have the
hose connection, and I've cracked the cartilage in my ribs for the
last time reaching over the transom. The boat is stored in a lift at
a marina, so I can't routinely get at it on a trailer.

The thread appears to be acme, 5 tpi, ~0.71" dia. I'd like to see the
specs to confirm.

Thanks.

Pete Keillor
Spehro Pefhany

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:13:51 -0500, the renowned Peter T. Keillor III
wrote:

Does anybody know the dimensions for a broom handle thread? I had no
luck with Google. I need to make a clamp with extension handle for
the flush kit for my outboard. The outboard is too old to have the
hose connection, and I've cracked the cartilage in my ribs for the
last time reaching over the transom. The boat is stored in a lift at
a marina, so I can't routinely get at it on a trailer.

The thread appears to be acme, 5 tpi, ~0.71" dia. I'd like to see the
specs to confirm.

Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Appears to be "Acme" 3/4"-5 according to web pages:

http://www.sizes.com/home/handles_broom.htm
http://www.landa.com/docs/catalog/Accessories.pdf

There's an awful lot of pages on "Acme" threads in Machinery's.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Peter T. Keillor III

wrote:

Does anybody know the dimensions for a broom handle thread? I had no
luck with Google. I need to make a clamp with extension handle for
the flush kit for my outboard. The outboard is too old to have the
hose connection, and I've cracked the cartilage in my ribs for the
last time reaching over the transom. The boat is stored in a lift at
a marina, so I can't routinely get at it on a trailer.

The thread appears to be acme, 5 tpi, ~0.71" dia. I'd like to see the
specs to confirm.

Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Appears to be "Acme" 3/4"-5 according to web pages:

http://www.sizes.com/home/handles_broom.htm
http://www.landa.com/docs/catalog/Accessories.pdf

There's an awful lot of pages on "Acme" threads in Machinery's.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Thanks, Spehro. The 0.75" would account for the sloppy fit. Great
references.

I looked in Machinery's, but standard acme's are 1.00" before you get
to 5 tpi.

That fiberglass extension pole was what I had in mind for a handle.

Thanks again,

Pete Keillor
Martin H. Eastburn

wrote:

[...]

I was at my Dad's a few months ago and I spotted a broom head to sweep the shop without
a handle - the wood one split... I noticed a junk plastic mop in the trash barrel.
I went over and un-screwed the handle, went and screwed it into the wood broom head
and Dad had a new broom. He was delighted to see it and where I got the handle.
He never guessed the mop would have a screw in handle. I had my fingers crossed and it did.

Nice to have standards like this. And the plastic will never split like the wood did.

I've used paint roller extension rods with a ball brush to get into the high corners of the house.
Pesky spiders.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
jtaylor

"Peter T. Keillor III" wrote in message
Does anybody know the dimensions for a broom handle thread? I had no
luck with Google. I need to make a clamp with extension handle for
the flush kit for my outboard. The outboard is too old to have the
hose connection, and I've cracked the cartilage in my ribs for the
last time reaching over the transom. The boat is stored in a lift at
a marina, so I can't routinely get at it on a trailer.

The thread appears to be acme, 5 tpi, ~0.71" dia. I'd like to see the
specs to confirm.

If you mean those threads you get on the cheap metal broom "sticks" you
attach paint rollers to, I hat'e them. The plastic thing they make with the
threads, that is. They seem to always break late saturday evening when the
rental apt is half painted and the new tenant wants in on monday.

I'd be tempted to use 1" pipe and a real pipe coupling.

Gunner

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 17:13:51 -0500, Peter T. Keillor III
wrote:

Does anybody know the dimensions for a broom handle thread? I had no
luck with Google. I need to make a clamp with extension handle for
the flush kit for my outboard. The outboard is too old to have the
hose connection, and I've cracked the cartilage in my ribs for the
last time reaching over the transom. The boat is stored in a lift at
a marina, so I can't routinely get at it on a trailer.

The thread appears to be acme, 5 tpi, ~0.71" dia. I'd like to see the
specs to confirm.

Thanks.

Pete Keillor

Which model Broomhandle? Red 9 or post war?

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."
Dave Hinz

wrote:

Does anybody know the dimensions for a broom handle thread? I had no
luck with Google. I need to make a clamp with extension handle for
the flush kit for my outboard. The outboard is too old to have the
hose connection, and I've cracked the cartilage in my ribs for the
last time reaching over the transom. The boat is stored in a lift at
a marina, so I can't routinely get at it on a trailer.

The thread appears to be acme, 5 tpi, ~0.71" dia. I'd like to see the
specs to confirm.

Which model Broomhandle? Red 9 or post war?

You know, I've always wanted one of those. Either of them. Odd
that it has yet to happen.

wrote:

Does anybody know the dimensions for a broom handle thread? I had no
luck with Google. I need to make a clamp with extension handle for
the flush kit for my outboard. The outboard is too old to have the
hose connection, and I've cracked the cartilage in my ribs for the
last time reaching over the transom. The boat is stored in a lift at
a marina, so I can't routinely get at it on a trailer.

The thread appears to be acme, 5 tpi, ~0.71" dia. I'd like to see the
specs to confirm.

Which model Broomhandle? Red 9 or post war?

You know, I've always wanted one of those. Either of them. Odd
that it has yet to happen.

Me, I'm holding out for the .45 version.

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
David R. Birch

Dave Hinz wrote:

Which model Broomhandle? Red 9 or post war?

You know, I've always wanted one of those. Either of them. Odd
that it has yet to happen.

Just go to gun shows and keep your eyes open. I decided I wanted one in 9X19 and
two shows later, in Fond du Lac, Wi, I found a Fed Ord rebuilt one that was
exactly what I wanted, 9mm, nicely polished & reblued & and totally
noncollectable, a really nice looking & performing shooter.

David

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:19:10 GMT, the inscrutable Gunner
spake:

Which model Broomhandle? Red 9 or post war?

Nimbus 2000!

--
The clear and present danger of top-posting explored at:
http://diversify.com Premium Website Development

Martin H. Eastburn

jtaylor wrote:

[...]

No the 20 or $30 Expanding triangular three section extension paint handles.
Nothing cheap about these. The one I had was loaned out and you guessed it -
we forgot who and no one fesses up. Rats.
Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer
NRA LOH, NRA Life
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 00:57:56 GMT, David R. Birch wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Which model Broomhandle? Red 9 or post war?

You know, I've always wanted one of those. Either of them. Odd
that it has yet to happen.

Just go to gun shows and keep your eyes open. I decided I wanted one in 9X19 and
two shows later, in Fond du Lac, Wi, I found a Fed Ord rebuilt one that was
exactly what I wanted, 9mm, nicely polished & reblued & and totally
noncollectable, a really nice looking & performing shooter.

Well, I'd like it to look somewhat authentic. It's just never been
the one I wanted to buy when I had the money in pocket, there has
always been something else I wanted more. Ah well...

I wouldn't mind one in .30 either, but I'd shoot a 9 more...
Gunner

Dave Hinz wrote:

Which model Broomhandle? Red 9 or post war?

You know, I've always wanted one of those. Either of them. Odd
that it has yet to happen.

Just go to gun shows and keep your eyes open. I decided I wanted one in 9X19 and
two shows later, in Fond du Lac, Wi, I found a Fed Ord rebuilt one that was
exactly what I wanted, 9mm, nicely polished & reblued & and totally
noncollectable, a really nice looking & performing shooter.

Well, I'd like it to look somewhat authentic. It's just never been
the one I wanted to buy when I had the money in pocket, there has
always been something else I wanted more. Ah well...

I wouldn't mind one in .30 either, but I'd shoot a 9 more...

ACK! the deadly Cop Killer .30 Mauser.

Chuckle...its fascinating to note all the brewhaha over "armor
piercing buuullets" in the last 15 yrs, when this 90 yr old pistol
cartridge designed for antique guns will generally whizz right though
both sides of a "bullet proof" vest and its wearer.

Gunner

" We have all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million
typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of
Shakespeare...Thanks to AOL and WebTv, we know this is not possible."

Dave Hinz

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:54:04 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 4 Feb 2005 15:58:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I wouldn't mind one in .30 either, but I'd shoot a 9 more...

ACK! the deadly Cop Killer .30 Mauser.

If it's anything like the .30 carbine to reload, I'm guessing it's
a bitch, though.

Chuckle...its fascinating to note all the brewhaha over "armor
piercing buuullets" in the last 15 yrs, when this 90 yr old pistol
cartridge designed for antique guns will generally whizz right though
both sides of a "bullet proof" vest and its wearer.

Gee. The ammo hasn't changed, the guns haven't changed... nope, not
gonna go there, we both know the score on that one.

Gunner

On 4 Feb 2005 16:58:32 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 16:54:04 GMT, Gunner wrote:
On 4 Feb 2005 15:58:25 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I wouldn't mind one in .30 either, but I'd shoot a 9 more...

ACK! the deadly Cop Killer .30 Mauser.

If it's anything like the .30 carbine to reload, I'm guessing it's
a bitch, though.

Actually, its quite easy.
Chuckle...its fascinating to note all the brewhaha over "armor
piercing buuullets" in the last 15 yrs, when this 90 yr old pistol
cartridge designed for antique guns will generally whizz right though
both sides of a "bullet proof" vest and its wearer.

Gee. The ammo hasn't changed, the guns haven't changed... nope, not
gonna go there, we both know the score on that one.

Lol