Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crumbly bricks

When renovating 2up,2 down victorian terrace, discovered some of the
bricks in the walls under the stairs are extremely dry and crumbly.
(The downstairs is concete floor and no damp present). Looking at old
posts on this web site seems like PVA or fibre glass resin is the
solution. I want to plaster then paint over this area to match the
rest. Can anyone confirm the best way to deal with this?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

this DIY discussion (website...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Eleanor Clark writes:
When renovating 2up,2 down victorian terrace, discovered some of the
bricks in the walls under the stairs are extremely dry and crumbly.
(The downstairs is concete floor and no damp present). Looking at old
posts on this web site seems like PVA or fibre glass resin is the
solution. I want to plaster then paint over this area to match the
rest. Can anyone confirm the best way to deal with this?

That's a funny place to find crumbly bricks, but that is where the
'B' grade bricks and less skilled brickie will have been deployed.

For making the surface stable, paint them with well watered down
PVA so that it soaks in well, and then let it dry. This won't do
anything to strengthen the bricks, just stop the surface coming
away when you plaster it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2012 10:01, cool cucumber wrote:
this DIY discussion (website...)

You're on Usenet. It looks as though you are accessing it via Google
Groups, which is probably what you think is the web site, but that's
just a view onto the real content.

Good luck with the PVA. Andrew normally knows his stuff.

Andy

Basement wall too crumbly to finish over? Watch my video! Bryan Scholtes Home Repair 12 June 12th 10 07:49 PM
How do I use injection resin to stabilise stairgate in crumbly wall [email protected] UK diy 13 April 12th 08 11:21 AM
crumbly drywall on the ceiling [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 11th 06 09:41 AM
Bricks dadiOH Home Repair 13 March 16th 05 03:18 PM
Air bricks John Miller UK diy 8 October 23rd 04 12:40 AM