Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How do I use injection resin to stabilise stairgate in crumbly wall

I put up a stairgate at the top of our stairs but the rawl plugs keep
getting loose and then the stairgate comes out of its fixings.
I've tried those wetfix things to no avail and am planning to try
using injection resin, ie
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25733/...on-Resin-150ml
Despite having read a few old posts I'm not sure exactly how to use
it.
I assume I use the applicator with a sealant gun to fill the existing
hole.
Do I then just stick a rawl plug immediately into the wet resin and
leave to cure or do I leave to cure and then drill a new hole?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I put up a stairgate at the top of our stairs but the rawl plugs keep
getting loose and then the stairgate comes out of its fixings.
I've tried those wetfix things to no avail and am planning to try
using injection resin, ie
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25733/...on-Resin-150ml
Despite having read a few old posts I'm not sure exactly how to use
it.
I assume I use the applicator with a sealant gun to fill the existing
hole.
Do I then just stick a rawl plug immediately into the wet resin and
leave to cure or do I leave to cure and then drill a new hole?

Not sure its a job for resin, Chances are the fixings aren't right. What
type of wall are you fixing to?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's just bricks and mortar but it's an Edwardian house 1903 ish so
it's fairly ancient bricks and mortar!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I put up a stairgate at the top of our stairs but the rawl plugs keep
getting loose and then the stairgate comes out of its fixings.
I've tried those wetfix things to no avail and am planning to try
using injection resin, ie
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25733/...on-Resin-150ml
Despite having read a few old posts I'm not sure exactly how to use
it.
I assume I use the applicator with a sealant gun to fill the existing
hole.
Do I then just stick a rawl plug immediately into the wet resin and
leave to cure or do I leave to cure and then drill a new hole?

Resin fixings are meant to have a piece of appropriate size stud (about
2mm les than the size of the hole) pushed into the resin filled hole.
Gate is then fixed to the stud with a washer & nut. (Awning fixed to
wall using this method).

Malcolm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

hmmm!

I guess the other option is to fix a baton to the wall using longer
screws etc and attach the gate to the baton. I'm limited in the
screwsize i can use at the moment as the slot in the stairgate for the
screw head is relatively small. What size screws would you advise
using this method? (assuming you think this approach would work!).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I put up a stairgate at the top of our stairs but the rawl plugs keep
getting loose and then the stairgate comes out of its fixings.
I've tried those wetfix things to no avail and am planning to try
using injection resin, ie
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25733/...on-Resin-150ml
Despite having read a few old posts I'm not sure exactly how to use
it.
I assume I use the applicator with a sealant gun to fill the existing
hole.
Do I then just stick a rawl plug immediately into the wet resin and
leave to cure or do I leave to cure and then drill a new hole?

Just a thought,

Are you using either:

1 Too big a drill for the rawl plugs?

2 Too small a screw for the plugs?

3 Drilling into the joints rather than the brick?

4 Is the gate hingebound? I.E. is the hanging side of the gate touching
either the skirting or wall (or other point) before fully opening or
closing? This 'levering' the screw and plug out of the wall over a period
of time?

I have never tried the product in question, but if none of the above apply
and the problem is down to crumbling brickwork - then give it a try.

I would suggest that you leave the stuff to dry for the recommended time (or
at least 24 hours) and the drill and plug the wall - remembering to use the
correct size drill, plugs and screws for the job.

Tanner-hop

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:32:56 -0700, jgkgolf wrote:

It's just bricks and mortar but it's an Edwardian house 1903 ish so
it's fairly ancient bricks and mortar!

If your fixings are actually trying to get a grip in the mortar and it's
crumbly then you're on a hiding to nothing. You might get away with
opening up the hole and digging away the mortar a bit either side of the
hole and filling with something like one-coat plaster or thickly mixed
tetrion, leaving to set and drilling and plugging into that.

--
John Stumbles

This message has been rot13 encrypted twice for added security
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
hmmm!

I guess the other option is to fix a baton to the wall using longer
screws etc and attach the gate to the baton. I'm limited in the
screwsize i can use at the moment as the slot in the stairgate for the
screw head is relatively small.

Well, if the screw hole is too small for a screw into a baton its unlikely
you have used a long enough screw into a wall plug which is still your main
problem anyway in fixing the baton. Possibly you have fixed mostly into
plaster. If the brick is poor you need a rimless nylon plug set below the
plaster (about 18mm probably) and not near the edge of the brick, then a
screw which will finish about the length of the plug. Trouble is you can't
see the brick and the joints can be wide so its hit and miss and being
constrained by the holes in the stairgate is unlikely to work hence the need
for a baton. So you now need screws the length the wall plug +18mm + the
baton thickness. In my opinion forget the resin and other hard expanding
fixings. Gate to baton just needs to be baton thickness, No8 will probably
suffice but use the size recommended.

What size screws would you advise
using this method? (assuming you think this approach would work!).

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:32:56 -0700, jgkgolf wrote:

It's just bricks and mortar but it's an Edwardian house 1903 ish so
it's fairly ancient bricks and mortar!

==================================
An alternative method is to cut pieces of wood about 4" square and just
thicker than a mortar joint. Hammer two or three of these into raked out
mortar joints and then screw your stairgate direct to these.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tanner-hop" wrote in message
[...]

If it really is getting a problem you could consider changing the stairgate
to one that has pads that open out to trap it into a gap between two walls -
no fixing required. My daughter used one for about 5 years and it had the
advantage that if her son stayed with us she could bring it to our house.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I put up a stairgate at the top of our stairs but the rawl plugs keep
getting loose and then the stairgate comes out of its fixings.
I've tried those wetfix things to no avail and am planning to try
using injection resin, ie
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25733/...on-Resin-150ml
Despite having read a few old posts I'm not sure exactly how to use
it.
I assume I use the applicator with a sealant gun to fill the existing
hole.
Do I then just stick a rawl plug immediately into the wet resin and
leave to cure or do I leave to cure and then drill a new hole?

Hi,
Can you use an expanding stair gate? You can get some that are designed
to fit like a plug in the gap and have threaded arms.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Salisbury wrote:
wrote:
I put up a stairgate at the top of our stairs but the rawl plugs keep
getting loose and then the stairgate comes out of its fixings.
I've tried those wetfix things to no avail and am planning to try
using injection resin, ie
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/25733/...on-Resin-150ml

Despite having read a few old posts I'm not sure exactly how to use
it.
I assume I use the applicator with a sealant gun to fill the existing
hole.
Do I then just stick a rawl plug immediately into the wet resin and
leave to cure or do I leave to cure and then drill a new hole?

Hi,
Can you use an expanding stair gate? You can get some that are designed
to fit like a plug in the gap and have threaded arms.

Sounds like a classic case of "the hole has to be right here, but not
this big". Time for the car body filler. Fill whatever cavity you have
and drill a new hole 10 minutes later

Injection Mold t0l7poo0 Metalworking 0 December 24th 07 02:47 PM
Fixing heavy things to friable block wall/resin sleeves - where to buy? Tim S UK diy 15 November 5th 06 12:37 AM
Damp wall - good case for injection? Grunff UK diy 62 April 11th 06 01:56 PM
crumbly drywall on the ceiling [email protected] Home Repair 3 March 11th 06 09:41 AM
DIY damp injection JK UK diy 9 October 13th 03 11:25 AM