Posted to alt.home.repair

Default crumbly drywall on the ceiling

I was just patching a hole in the ceiling where a fixture used to be.
The drywall is very weak. For example I put some furring behind the
hole, mounted to the drywall. When I began to attach the patch to the
furring, the drywall screws holding the furring pulled right through
the drywall. The pressure I applied to drive the screw was enough to
easily pull the furring loose.

I'm wondering what this means. Does old drywall become weak and
crumbly? Is this water damage? Inferior product? Is the ceiling going
to drop on me if I don't replace it?

If it is water damage, is there any good way to find the extent of it?
I mean, I hate to poke holes all over the ceiling, but how else can I
tell?

Btw, the roof was replaced a couple years before I bought the house. I
don't think it's leaking now, but it may have been a few years ago.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Saus29

could be water damage, but if it's behind a light fitting it could be heat
damage. ive seen what you descibe and can only guess its heat damage of some
sort.

ups.com...

ceiling drywall Oh_Jeeze Home Repair 6 December 30th 04 08:22 PM
Priming new drywall on skimcoated ceiling/ Which primer should I use????? LarryK Home Ownership 4 September 30th 04 12:58 PM
Hanging drywall ceiling from plaster walls Ray Home Repair 2 April 28th 04 01:52 AM
Deflecting Drywall Ceiling Michael Roback Home Repair 2 April 7th 04 11:47 AM
How to redo drywall taping on garage ceiling?? Ron Home Repair 8 November 26th 03 01:29 PM