Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MK Echo

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system. Sounds quite
interesting.

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Prod...s/default.aspx

And for prices, there are 58 results on amazon.co.uk.

The biggest downside seems to be their high cost. Are there any other
manufacturers of similar products. (It sounds as if the technology is
being made common to permit interworking.) Anyone got experience of using
them?

To be honest, for now, the ordinary plug-in devices that cost a tiny
fraction of those prices does everything I really need. So this is by way
of interest rather than serious intent.

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 21:22:50 -0000, polygonum
wrote:

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system. Sounds quite
interesting.

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Prod...s/default.aspx

And for prices, there are 58 results on amazon.co.uk.

The biggest downside seems to be their high cost. Are there any other
manufacturers of similar products. (It sounds as if the technology is
being made common to permit interworking.) Anyone got experience of using
them?

To be honest, for now, the ordinary plug-in devices that cost a tiny
fraction of those prices does everything I really need. So this is by way
of interest rather than serious intent.

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system.

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

This is the underlying technology ...

http://www.enocean-alliance.org/en/enocean_technology/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

wrote:

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system.

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

This is the underlying technology ...

http://www.enocean-alliance.org/en/enocean_technology/

And here is where it was invented

http://vps.templar.co.uk/Cartoons%20...7322.strip.gif
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:19:02 +0000, Andy Burns
wrote:

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system.

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

This is the underlying technology ...

http://www.enocean-alliance.org/en/enocean_technology/

I'm still intrigued, but all I see is marketing eco ********. What I
would like to see is actual circuit diagrams etc.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:12:18 -0000, Graham. wrote:

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

Sort-of sounds like the homeopathy of the energy world. :-)

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
polygonum writes:
Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system. Sounds quite
interesting.

http://www.mkelectric.com/en-gb/Prod...s/default.aspx

And for prices, there are 58 results on amazon.co.uk.

The biggest downside seems to be their high cost. Are there any other
manufacturers of similar products. (It sounds as if the technology is
being made common to permit interworking.) Anyone got experience of using
them?

X10 is the cheaper standards-based option, and that's because
the patents have run out and anyone can manufacture X10 parts,
and many people do.

There are lots of newer (and better) products now, but you will
pay heavily for them still being covered by patents/licensing.
Some of the newer products are X10 backwards compatible, allowing
you to upgrade an X10 installation without having to replace it
all.

To be honest, for now, the ordinary plug-in devices that cost a tiny
fraction of those prices does everything I really need. So this is by way
of interest rather than serious intent.

They are even cheaper than X10, but with no compatibility between
products.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Graham. wrote:

wrote:

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system.

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

This is the underlying technology ...

http://www.enocean-alliance.org/en/enocean_technology/

I'm still intrigued, but all I see is marketing eco ********. What I
would like to see is actual circuit diagrams etc.

http://www.enocean.com/en/patents/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

writes:

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system. Sounds quite
interesting. (It sounds as if the technology is being made common
to permit interworking.) Anyone got experience of using them?

X10 is the cheaper standards-based option

I hadn't heard of this home automation software before, apparently it
works with the Echo/EnOcean switches ...

http://fhem.de/fhem.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 22:12:18 +0000, Graham. wrote:

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

Well you don't need much for a short duration few mW pulse of RF...

Looking at the site mentioned they have motion (switch operation or
waggle it about/vibration) for power generation. I have a "shaker
torch", powerful magnet slides back and forth through a coil of wire.
Just letting the magnet drop through the coil makes the LED flash.

I like the peltier thermal stuff, there are temperature gradients all
over the place. Light switch, warm room air one side, cold wall the
other. Handheld remote, warm hand, cold innards.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Graham. wrote:

wrote:

Just came across the MK Echo wireless switch system.

Interesting that the transmitter works without batteries by
"harvesting energy". I wouldn't have expected it to work.

This is the underlying technology ...

http://www.enocean-alliance.org/en/enocean_technology/

In California, where they're based, they just wait for a 'quake to shake
the building.

In a few years, they might just have a problem with overloading when the
big one hits.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Magicjack Echo Problem Patrick C Home Repair 25 March 28th 20 10:06 PM
Has anyone had experience with Echo chainsaw ? Paul J. Dudley Home Repair 13 November 10th 11 02:47 PM
MK Echo protocol hacking Rob[_29_] UK diy 3 February 21st 11 02:19 PM
Echo Drill Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 1 August 29th 10 03:36 AM
stihl or echo chainsaw? peter Home Repair 19 January 3rd 08 03:57 PM