Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Has anyone had experience with Echo chainsaw ?

I'm in need of purchasing a chain saw. Am having 3 large oaks
trimmed and 3 large pines removed. The trunks of the pines
will be hauled off but I must cut up/burn the limbs. I will also
cut up the oak limbs and stack anything worth keeping for
firewood. The rest I'll stack and burn with the pine. I also have
some clearing to do here and there.

I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed
echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using
echo ? Trying to keep the price at 300 dollars.

TIA

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:21:47 -0700, tim birr wrote:

SNIP *I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed
echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using echo ? Trying to
keep the price at 300 dollars. *SNIP

Paul, I have a tree farm and have been using saws for about 35 years.

An Echo is a decent saw. As with any brand, Echo has the pro line and
home line. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and a few others are all fine.

My question would be how much are you going to really use this saw. Do you
really need a gas saw. It sounds as if you might be able to get away with
a small electric saw just to do the trimming, cutting work you need done.
Be a much cheaper, less of a hassle option. Just a suggestion.

If you do feel the need for a gas saw, it looks as if you will use it
very, very little. If so, while I hate to say it, you might be able to
get by with one of the "big box" saws such as a Poulan -- the type they
sell at K-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

Not the greatest saws, and I wouldn't use one, but for what it sounds
like, it might just fit your needs. Finally, if you have a saw shop in
your area (and I assume you do since you mention Stihl), ask THEM what
they suggest. AND, they might just have a used saw or two sitting around
that they could sell you.

Local pawn shops are also an option, with this economy, many saws are
ending up pawned. Only thing is I usually find pawn prices to be really
high.

As for electric, I will be sawing too far from power supply. I will
check in with local dealers for their advice as you mention. Not
keen on buying second hand though. As for Poulan, my experience
with Poulan products has been dismal. The last Poulan chainsaw
I used wouldn't keep running. Hard to start and I spent more time
tightening the chain than it was worth.

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 2:00*am, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:
* As for electric, I will be sawing too far from power supply. I will
* check in with local dealers for their advice as you mention. Not
* keen on buying second hand though. As for Poulan, my experience
* with Poulan products has been dismal. The last Poulan chainsaw
* I used wouldn't keep running. Hard to start and I spent more time
* tightening the chain than it was worth.

* Paul

If you are going ahead with getting one of the big three, I would
seriously suggest that you pick one with a servicing dealer near you
-- meaning don't buy an Echo if the closest servicing dealer is 90
miles away.

Stihl, Husky, Echo, Shindiwa, etc. are all fine. Personally, I prefer
Husky, followed by Stihl, but nothing wrong with Echo. But, I have
Echo, Stihl and Husky service shops all within 15 miles.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:02:10 -0400, Paul J. Dudley wrote:

I'm in need of purchasing a chain saw. Am having 3 large oaks
trimmed and 3 large pines removed. The trunks of the pines will be hauled
off but I must cut up/burn the limbs. I will also cut up the oak limbs and
stack anything worth keeping for firewood. The rest I'll stack and burn
with the pine. I also have some clearing to do here and there.

I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed
echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using echo ? Trying to
keep the price at 300 dollars.

TIA

Paul

Thanks to all replies. I'm now looking into Husky. I have a Husky weed
whacker ( 5 y.o.). Starts every time 1 - 3 pulls. Never stalls and has
plenty of power to keep up with 3 acre even when I've let it all get
ahead of me ( grass and weeds 3 ft tall at times... ). I forget the
model off hand but it is the bottom of the commercial line ( 300
and some change ). I purchased the high end home model from
Lowes and when I got it home the spool was missing. When I returned
it they informed me it was the last one, but would I settle for the
next model up for same price. I graciously accepted. It has lived
up to the Husky reputation.

I am now looking into 235 e-series - 34.4 cc, 1.8 hp, 13"-16", 10.3 lbs
at $199.95. From the reviews I've read this saw might be the one I
need.

Any input ... ?

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Paul J. Dudley" wrote in message
news
I'm in need of purchasing a chain saw. Am having 3 large oaks
trimmed and 3 large pines removed. The trunks of the pines
will be hauled off but I must cut up/burn the limbs. I will also
cut up the oak limbs and stack anything worth keeping for
firewood. The rest I'll stack and burn with the pine. I also have
some clearing to do here and there.

I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed
echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using
echo ? Trying to keep the price at 300 dollars.

TIA

Paul

I've bought one of their 20" professional models ( don't recall which one
off-hand) a few years back to clear 1-1/2 acres of trees in the center of a
5 acre lot. It always starts easily, and runs strong and is a great saw.
Get the longest bar you can afford - you'll be glad you did.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Oct 12, 11:21*pm, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:
[...]

Well, just got my bailey's catalog today in the mail. They are
cutting prices on their Husky saws and offering free UPS shipping.
You can step up a bit and get the 240-series 38CC 16" BAR & CHAIN for
the same $200 at the moment. Step up to an 18-inch bar and it's $45
more. And, as I mentioned, shipping is free.

Bailey's is an old-time Northern California saw shop which has
embraced the digital age. I think they have even opened up a
distribution center on the East Coast.

Anyway, if you are interested, Google them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, a PS -- I just started poking about the Web -- since I really
don't know anything about the Husky homeowner line, and found that a
few places sell the 240 for $260 -- and I found the 235 for $270. Free
shipping....

They both appear nearly identical....except for the power. Think I
would opt for the extra power....of course, I'm a bit reluctant to
purchase a saw online....But for your purposes, I'd lean toward the
MODEL 240 at 38CC for $260 with free ship.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Seems like one out three of my posts don't go through. Anyway, hope
this is not a double....

I'm finding the 240 and the 235 much cheaper through a few other
online places. Never ordered from them....and not sure I ever would
order a saw online, but chainsawdirect (or is it chainsawsdirect) has
the 240 for $260 and the $235 for $10 more....free ship, no tax. No
experience with either of them, but they look almost the same....and
the 240 has a few more cc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 03:02:10 -0400, Paul J. Dudley wrote:

I'm in need of purchasing a chain saw. Am having 3 large oaks
trimmed and 3 large pines removed. The trunks of the pines will be hauled
off but I must cut up/burn the limbs. I will also cut up the oak limbs and
stack anything worth keeping for firewood. The rest I'll stack and burn
with the pine. I also have some clearing to do here and there.

I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed
echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using echo ? Trying to
keep the price at 300 dollars.

TIA

Paul

Well .... I changed my mind. I bought a Stihl 170 w/16" bar.

When the people showed up to work the above mentioned
trees I noticed that all their equipment was Stihl. Even
their leaf blower.

The first day I just watched and assisted in removing
downed limbs and braches. They had various sized chain
saws for all aspects of their work. All chain saws started
first pull ( after initial warm up that is ). I could see how
dependable they were. And they all cut without bogging
down. And light weight - 9.somethin' pounds for the 170.

I always knew Stihl had a great name for quality products.
After the first day watching these guys work, I went out
the next day and researched Stihl. I went to a local shop
and after talking with their mechanic I walked out with
the Stihl 170 for $179.00 I took it to the work site to do
some break-in "lite-duty" work trimming limb branches.
Just like all the others, once the saw was warmed up on
initial start up ( 2 pulls choked - then 1 to 2 pulls to start.
After that, it fired up first pull every time.

After the break-in ( 3 gas/oil fills ) I started tearing up
some of the larger limbs of oak for the fire wood pile.
So far - no regrets. I feel confident in my change in
plan and bought Stihl instead of Echo.

Thanks to all replies,

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Oct 2011 11:09:58 -0500, Steve Barker wrote:

On 10/12/2011 2:02 AM, Paul J. Dudley wrote:
I'm in need of purchasing a chain saw. Am having 3 large oaks
trimmed and 3 large pines removed. The trunks of the pines will be
hauled off but I must cut up/burn the limbs. I will also cut up the oak
limbs and stack anything worth keeping for firewood. The rest I'll stack
and burn with the pine. I also have some clearing to do here and there.

I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed
echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using echo ? Trying to
keep the price at 300 dollars.

TIA

Paul

Stihl

Thanks Steve. Purchased a Stihl 170 16 inch for $179. So far ... GREAT
SAW...!

Paul

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 09 Nov 2011 19:35:01 -0500, "Paul J. Dudley"
wrote:

[...]

Stihl is said to be one of the top saws. I have one I'm going to
repair when the parts come. It's an older model and is hard to get
some of the parts for it.

I also have an Echo saw. It used to run quite well, but as with all
these small engines, I dont use them often, and the next thing the
carb is needing work. I intend to fix that Echo one of these days. I
always liked it, since it was a nice small and compact saw.

I was told by a friend with an Echo weed whacker, that Echo is out of
business. His carb was beyond repair on that whacker and they can not
get carbs to sell anymore. But they do have the kits. I assume it's
the same for my saw.

As far as this guys whacker, I bet he could mount another carb on it
from a different brand. Then little carbs are all pretty much the
same. I showed him my saw and he said the carb looks the same. Of
course he wanted to buy it, but I told him I plan to fix the saw.

I've heard mixed opinions of the quality of Echo. I'd personally give
it a thumbs up, except for the fact that you cant get parts anymore.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Great field report. I'll think nice things about Stihl, now.

I have two saws, a Homelite and a Stihl. The Stihl, the off
switch doesn't quite work right. have to turn it off by
idling down, and then choke it.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Paul J. Dudley" wrote in
message news

Echo Drill Robatoy[_2_] Woodworking 1 August 29th 10 03:36 AM
stihl or echo chainsaw? peter Home Repair 19 January 3rd 08 03:57 PM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 17 November 9th 05 01:21 AM
Chainsaw Usage Question From First Time Chainsaw User ? Robert11 Home Repair 3 November 6th 05 11:39 PM