Posted to alt.home.repair
Paul J. Dudley Paul J. Dudley is offline

Default Has anyone had experience with Echo chainsaw ?

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:21:47 -0700, tim birr wrote:

SNIP *I've been looking into husqvarna and stihl, but then I noticed
echo saws. Has anyone had any experience owning/using echo ? Trying to
keep the price at 300 dollars. *SNIP

Paul, I have a tree farm and have been using saws for about 35 years.

An Echo is a decent saw. As with any brand, Echo has the pro line and
home line. Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and a few others are all fine.

My question would be how much are you going to really use this saw. Do you
really need a gas saw. It sounds as if you might be able to get away with
a small electric saw just to do the trimming, cutting work you need done.
Be a much cheaper, less of a hassle option. Just a suggestion.

If you do feel the need for a gas saw, it looks as if you will use it
very, very little. If so, while I hate to say it, you might be able to
get by with one of the "big box" saws such as a Poulan -- the type they
sell at K-Mart, Home Depot, etc.

Not the greatest saws, and I wouldn't use one, but for what it sounds
like, it might just fit your needs. Finally, if you have a saw shop in
your area (and I assume you do since you mention Stihl), ask THEM what
they suggest. AND, they might just have a used saw or two sitting around
that they could sell you.

Local pawn shops are also an option, with this economy, many saws are
ending up pawned. Only thing is I usually find pawn prices to be really
high.

As for electric, I will be sawing too far from power supply. I will
check in with local dealers for their advice as you mention. Not
keen on buying second hand though. As for Poulan, my experience
with Poulan products has been dismal. The last Poulan chainsaw
I used wouldn't keep running. Hard to start and I spent more time
tightening the chain than it was worth.

Paul