Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cheap source of matching door knobs?

I want to get rid of all the brass pseudo-Victorian (made in India) door
handles in my house, and replace them with round ones (but NOT the ultra-
cheap 1940s style bakalite-looking ones that are still being slold for
around 99p a pair).

Something metal or ceramic would suit. Door knobs are not cheap -
especially when you need ten pairs. (Even on eBay!) Can anyone suggest a
source?

Thank you,

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 6, 6:30 pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I want to get rid of all the brass pseudo-Victorian (made in India) door
handles in my house, and replace them with round ones (but NOT the ultra-
cheap 1940s style bakalite-looking ones that are still being slold for
around 99p a pair).

Something metal or ceramic would suit. Door knobs are not cheap -
especially when you need ten pairs. (Even on eBay!) Can anyone suggest a
source?

Thank you,

Al

india or china ;))
I regretted fitting some cheapos in the past as they are the only part
of the door you "interact" with - if the catch or handle/knob is
cheapo then it makes itself known EVERY time you touch it....and
everyone else....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 9:02*am, "AL_n" wrote:
Jim K wrote in news:fea69441-bd79-47a1-8063-
:

india or china ;))
I regretted fitting some cheapos in the past as they are the only part
of the door you "interact" with - if the catch or handle/knob is
cheapo then it makes itself known EVERY time you touch it....and
everyone else....

Jim K

I agree. That's why I want to change the ones I have. The brass looks nice
enough, but there are some sharp points on those lever-style handles, and I
find the action not as slick and ergonomic as the good old round, smooth
Victorian-style doorknobs.

For me, they don;t have to be expensive, as long as the design is good.
Years ago, I found a good source of imitation ceramic ones, made of hard
white plastic. It was at a Homebase store, now long gone. They were about
1.99 a pair IIRC.

Al

If you need to keep it cheap but looking ok, theres always large
cupboard door knobs in pine, very cheap from screwfix et al by the
bagful. They need to be drilled correctly.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 9:02 am, "AL_n" wrote:
[...]

beware of the tubular mortice catch catch - lever handles can deal
with cheapo mortice latches as the leverage on the handle is easy to
increase by the person operating it - when you change to knobs it is
not as easy to grip tight enuf to turn and so operate cheapo (std)
latches.

Cheapo knobs also have ruddy great return springs in them that alone
are getting on for too much to overcome never mind the mortice latch
itself.

I spent too long faffing with both of the above - even I would
willingly spend a few quid on proper knobs n handles now ;))

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote in news:fa6f89d5-a692-44b0-99e9-e8cbed492599
@w4g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

If you need to keep it cheap but looking ok, theres always large
cupboard door knobs in pine, very cheap from screwfix et al by the
bagful. They need to be drilled correctly.

That's worth thinking about. How do you fix the knob to the square-section
spindle? Do you rely on a push-fit only? Is that what you meant when you
said drill them correctly?

Al
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Jan 2012 11:36:31 GMT
"AL_n" wrote:

I can't see the point in having a spring in the latch and another in
the handle. Surely one spring is all that's needed, isn't it? As my
mortice latches already have springs built in, I'd be content with
basic door knobs with no springs built in.

If there wasn't a spring in the handle then it would droop if there was
any play between the shaft and the handle or latch. This would be
particularly noticeable with a lever handle but no problem for a round
knob. It doesn't need to be a very strong spring though.

--
Mike Clarke

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 11:36 am, "AL_n" wrote:
Jim K wrote in news:e6002677-9fc4-4f73-b4ea-
:

beware of the tubular mortice catch catch - lever handles can deal
with cheapo mortice latches as the leverage on the handle is easy to
increase by the person operating it - when you change to knobs it is
not as easy to grip tight enuf to turn and so operate cheapo (std)
latches.

Cheapo knobs also have ruddy great return springs in them that alone
are getting on for too much to overcome never mind the mortice latch
itself.

I spent too long faffing with both of the above - even I would
willingly spend a few quid on proper knobs n handles now ;))

I can't see the point in having a spring in the latch and another in the
handle. Surely one spring is all that's needed, isn't it? As my mortice
latches already have springs built in, I'd be content with basic door knobs
with no springs built in.

? I didn't fit the springs I was removing them...in an effort to make
doors openable by "weak"-handed adults and children...
after p1ssing around removing them you may then find the spring in
the tubular latch isn;t strong enough to fire the catch to hold the
door closed *AND* return BOTH the handles to their original
positions....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 7, 11:38*am, "AL_n" wrote:
NT wrote in news:fa6f89d5-a692-44b0-99e9-e8cbed492599
@w4g2000vbc.googlegroups.com:

If you need to keep it cheap but looking ok, theres always large
cupboard door knobs in pine, very cheap from screwfix et al by the
bagful. They need to be drilled correctly.

That's worth thinking about. How do you fix the knob to the square-section
spindle? Do you rely on a push-fit only? Is that what you meant when you
said drill them correctly?

Al

If drilling alignment is off, the knob will sit wonky. Put sandwich
bag over square bar, pack putty into knob, press it home. When set,
remove bag & use slips of paper to cause the knob to grip the bar.
Obviously dont us e linseed putty, unless you've got months to wait.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 6 Jan 2012 18:30:20 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

I want to get rid of all the brass pseudo-Victorian (made in India) door
handles in my house, and replace them with round ones (but NOT the ultra-
cheap 1940s style bakalite-looking ones that are still being slold for
around 99p a pair).

Something metal or ceramic would suit. Door knobs are not cheap -
especially when you need ten pairs. (Even on eBay!) Can anyone suggest a
source?

Have a look at
http://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/P...ure/Door_Knobs

Not particularly cheap but there may be something to suit in their
extensive range.

--
rbel