Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pikey thieves need ID now

On Dec 29, 6:43 pm, "Brian Gaff" wrote:
We have had to do this at our tip for some years, though there are permits
issued, we are warned that they will record the info.

is that more to do with stopping jobbing/cowboy "builders" taking
their assorted crap in to the "Household waste site" and avoiding
paying for a skip? so they usually just find a quiet (usually
picturesque) place nearby and fly tip it anyway...

The thing is though will they keep folk waiting till they check?
I doubt it and so it will probably be pointless.

yup fair point - spose depends on the "teeth" any (eventual)
legislation will actually have to encourage ahem "honest" scrappies to
"give a sh.." and potentially incriminate their feral scumbag
"suppliers"...

The thing is the money is
not made at such places its the less than legal middle men who will make
even more money now.

how? what's the definition of "middle men" in the context ? and how
will they make more money?

IIUC once the "metal" has provenance - by ceasing to be stolen/scrap
and becoming a "recyclable resource" via a frontline "scrap merchant"
- it is traded (internationally) on open terms and prices....

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Gaff
wrote

We have had to do this at our tip for some years,

My local council wants proof of residency before allowing cars into the
local tip/recycling centre. Council tax notifications with an address is
acceptable, as well as any photo ID with an address.

though there are permits
issued, we are warned that they will record the info.

Or make it "free" if you have a permit with you and charge you £5 a car
load if you don't .

The thing is though
will they keep folk waiting till they check?

They do at my local tip. Although on a busy day the amount of time
checking is insignificant compared to time waiting for all the cars in
front to unload and then getting the next free space.

I doubt it and so it will probably be pointless. The thing is the money is
not made at such places its the less than legal middle men who will make
even more money now.

The thread is about scrap metal dealers requiring proof of ID before
purchasing stolen metal from the "man in the street". I suspect that
being a cash in hand business and the dealers already suspecting where
some of the metal comes from the legislation is unlikely to make any
difference to the problem of metal theft.

Laws are only effective on the law abiding. Criminals just carry on in
the same old way.

What may curtail some theft is stopping the Police reporting that
thieves got away with £10,000 worth of telephone cable whereas in the
real world the scrap value was peanuts and £10,000 is the cost in
manpower to replace the cable. Even if the cable is expensive to
purchase as new it doesn't mean the value of it when scrapped is great.
--
Alan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/12/2011 00:41, Alan wrote:

What may curtail some theft is stopping the Police reporting that
thieves got away with £10,000 worth of telephone cable whereas in the
real world the scrap value was peanuts and £10,000 is the cost in
manpower to replace the cable. Even if the cable is expensive to
purchase as new it doesn't mean the value of it when scrapped is great.

More to the point, when they get caught, they should be prosecuted
according to the total impact cost of the crime. So rather than being
treated as having pinched £500 quids worth of cable, treat it as £25,000
worth of vandalism / theft etc.

--
Cheers,

John.