Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default UPVC window handle fell off, how to re-attach?

Our UPVC kitchen window was always stiff and took quite a yank to close,
over time this has weakened the threads in the locking mechanism that
the handle screws to. I've re-screwed it time and time again and now the
screws no longer bite, the internal thread has all but gone.

How can I re-attach the handle? It is of the type where you depress a
button and turn it 90 degrees to unlock and then open the window.

Justin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 11, 10:54*pm, Justin C wrote:
Our UPVC kitchen window was always stiff and took quite a yank to close,
over time this has weakened the threads in the locking mechanism that
the handle screws to. I've re-screwed it time and time again and now the
screws no longer bite, the internal thread has all but gone.

How can I re-attach the handle? It is of the type where you depress a
button and turn it 90 degrees to unlock and then open the window.

* *Justin.

You can buy replacement mechanisms for the window. Hopefully this will
fix the cause as well as the effect.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

On Dec 11, 10:54 pm, Justin C wrote:
Our UPVC kitchen window was always stiff and took quite a yank to close,
over time this has weakened the threads in the locking mechanism that
the handle screws to. I've re-screwed it time and time again and now the
screws no longer bite, the internal thread has all but gone.

How can I re-attach the handle? It is of the type where you depress a
button and turn it 90 degrees to unlock and then open the window.

Justin.

You can buy replacement mechanisms for the window. Hopefully this will
fix the cause as well as the effect.

NT

I recommend dgpartsco on ebay - and there are many others that sell all
manner of replacement bits. I don;t knwo how the OP's handle is fixed, but
if it's self tappers, there are such things as "repair screws" for when the
hole is buggered (they're a bit bigger/longer).

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Watts
writes
NT wrote:

[...]

I have a window which is stiff to close, and I have always been careful
to try and avoid pulling the handle off. It's the rubber seal which is
the problem. If the window does 'bind up' as you're pulling it closed,
rather than trying to yank closed it in one motion, it often helps to
ease off the pulling and close it in gentle, easy, back-and-forth
stages.

I find that the occasional quick wipe of the rubber with a cloth which
has neat washing up liquid on it (as lubrication) makes a big
difference. I suppose a WD40 soaked oily rag would also work, and maybe
last a bit longer, but it's easier to keep things clean if you use
washing up liquid.
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 11, 10:54*pm, Justin C wrote:
Our UPVC kitchen window was always stiff and took quite a yank to close,
over time this has weakened the threads in the locking mechanism that
the handle screws to. I've re-screwed it time and time again and now the
screws no longer bite, the internal thread has all but gone.

How can I re-attach the handle? It is of the type where you depress a
button and turn it 90 degrees to unlock and then open the window.

* *Justin.

You will need a new lock. The handle screws go into the lock body
which is usually only aluminium alloy (monkey metal).
You will have to disconnect the operating rods, usually just a
"crocodile teeth" arrangement but easy enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 12, 8:46*am, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes

NT wrote:

[...]

It can be adjusted. There are cams/eccentics on the latchng bits to
alter the distance between the casement and the frame. The locks are
not very strong, if you apply a lot of force they eventually break.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-11, Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
Justin C wrote:

Our UPVC kitchen window was always stiff and took quite a yank to close,
over time this has weakened the threads in the locking mechanism that
the handle screws to. I've re-screwed it time and time again and now the
screws no longer bite, the internal thread has all but gone.

How can I re-attach the handle? It is of the type where you depress a
button and turn it 90 degrees to unlock and then open the window.

Are you out of warranty then? It's 10 years normally.

Window arm of the company ceased trading years ago (neighbour is
employed by what's left). And, though I don't recall the exact date,
it's quite likely that warranty would be expired by now.

Thank you for the suggestion.

Justin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-11, Justin C wrote:
Our UPVC kitchen window was always stiff and took quite a yank to close,
over time this has weakened the threads in the locking mechanism that
the handle screws to. I've re-screwed it time and time again and now the
screws no longer bite, the internal thread has all but gone.

How can I re-attach the handle? It is of the type where you depress a
button and turn it 90 degrees to unlock and then open the window.

Okay, I've read the replies so far, and followed up on replacement
parts. I appear to have non-standard windows. Mine have espagnolette
mechanisms, the handle has no tab to rest on the frame and hold it
closed, it has a moving plate on the casement (?) with pins that engage
in the frame when the handle is turned.

I've found something, at what I consider a reasonable price, he
URL:http://www.double-glazing-parts-repairs.co.uk/window-lock-genesis.
The shortest length on this site is 400mm, that seems a bit long for
mine - will have to wait for daylight so I can see to remove mine and
measure it.

If anyone has any recommendations on sources for parts like this I'd be
grateful to hear from you.

Justin.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 13, 5:48*pm, Justin C wrote:
On 2011-12-11, Justin C wrote:

[...]

I know of one in Malvern.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-12-13, harry wrote:
On Dec 13, 5:48Â*pm, Justin C wrote:

[snip]

If anyone has any recommendations on sources for parts like this I'd be
grateful to hear from you.

Â* Â*Justin.

I know of one in Malvern.

They do mail-order and have an online catalogue/reference material?

Justin.

uPVC lock/handle broken [email protected] UK diy 2 June 30th 07 06:04 PM
upvc door handle problem UK diy 4 December 28th 06 03:46 PM
Replacement uPVC Window handle/lock Gavin UK diy 5 June 13th 06 11:45 AM
uPVC window: handle stuck fast [email protected] UK diy 7 June 21st 05 12:04 AM
uPVC windows: handle/lock is broken [email protected] UK diy 5 June 10th 05 12:39 AM