Posted to uk.d-i-y
harry harry is offline

Default UPVC window handle fell off, how to re-attach?

On Dec 12, 8:46*am, Ian Jackson
wrote:
In message , Tim Watts
writes

NT wrote:

On Dec 11, 10:54 pm, Justin C wrote:
Our UPVC kitchen window was always stiff and took quite a yank to close,
over time this has weakened the threads in the locking mechanism that
the handle screws to. I've re-screwed it time and time again and now the
screws no longer bite, the internal thread has all but gone.

How can I re-attach the handle? It is of the type where you depress a
button and turn it 90 degrees to unlock and then open the window.

Justin.

You can buy replacement mechanisms for the window. Hopefully this will
fix the cause as well as the effect.

NT

I recommend dgpartsco on ebay - and there are many others that sell all
manner of replacement bits. I don;t knwo how the OP's handle is fixed, but
if it's self tappers, there are such things as "repair screws" for when the
hole is buggered (they're a bit bigger/longer).

I have a window which is stiff to close, and I have always been careful
to try and avoid pulling the handle off. It's the rubber seal which is
the problem. If the window does 'bind up' as you're pulling it closed,
rather than trying to yank closed it in one motion, it often helps to
ease off the pulling and close it in gentle, easy, back-and-forth
stages.

I find that the occasional quick wipe of the rubber with a cloth which
has neat washing up liquid on it (as lubrication) makes a big
difference. I suppose a WD40 soaked oily rag would also work, and maybe
last a bit longer, but it's easier to keep things clean if you use
washing up liquid.
--
Ian

It can be adjusted. There are cams/eccentics on the latchng bits to
alter the distance between the casement and the frame. The locks are
not very strong, if you apply a lot of force they eventually break.