Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting skirting and avoiding damp

We have just had a wall treated, tanked and re-plastered due to damp
problems. The plasterer was careful not to take the plaster down too low. I
now have the problem of fitting MDF plasterboard ( (to match the rest)
without causing a problem.
I am thinking of sticking plastic wedges onto the back of the skirting which
are assembled to suit the gap between skirting and brickwork then using
adhesive to stick the skirting to the plaster - however - I am a little
concerned that only about the top inch of the skirting will meet the
plaster.

Any thoughts?

Regards

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 20/11/2011 16:35, DerbyBoy wrote:
We have just had a wall treated, tanked and re-plastered due to damp
problems. The plasterer was careful not to take the plaster down too
low. I now have the problem of fitting MDF plasterboard ( (to match the
rest) without causing a problem.
I am thinking of sticking plastic wedges onto the back of the skirting
which are assembled to suit the gap between skirting and brickwork then
using adhesive to stick the skirting to the plaster - however - I am a
little concerned that only about the top inch of the skirting will meet
the plaster.

Any thoughts?

Regards

John

An L shape metal bracked, small part of the L screwed onto floor and the
skirting screwed to the other part. OR
A wood batten screwed along the floor, the bottom of the skirting could
be screwed to this and the top part of the skirting to the plasterboard.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2011 16:35, DerbyBoy wrote:
We have just had a wall treated, tanked and re-plastered due to damp
problems. The plasterer was careful not to take the plaster down too
low. I now have the problem of fitting MDF plasterboard ( (to match the
rest) without causing a problem.
I am thinking of sticking plastic wedges onto the back of the skirting
which are assembled to suit the gap between skirting and brickwork then
using adhesive to stick the skirting to the plaster - however - I am a
little concerned that only about the top inch of the skirting will meet
the plaster.

Any thoughts?

Regards

John

I would find some blocks of plastic (or something impervious to water)
the same thickness as the plaster, and stick them to the brickwork with
Gripfill/Stixall just above floor level at regular - maybe 150mm -
intervals. Then fit the skirting - with a a bead of adhesive near the
top to meet the plaster, and a dollop on each plastic block. The
skirting will then be adequately supported both at the top and bottom -
without creating any water transmission path.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would find some blocks of plastic (or something impervious to water)
the same thickness as the plaster, and stick them to the brickwork with
Gripfill/Stixall just above floor level at regular - maybe 150mm -
intervals. Then fit the skirting - with a a bead of adhesive near the
top to meet the plaster, and a dollop on each plastic block. The
skirting will then be adequately supported both at the top and bottom -
without creating any water transmission path.
--
Cheers,
Roger
____________
checked.

Thanks Roger - sounds good. If I use a straight edge down from the plaster I
should be able to make measurements of the thickness of plastic spacer I
need. Now I need to find something suitable!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2011 10:09, DerbyBoy wrote:
Thanks Roger - sounds good. If I use a straight edge down from the
plaster I should be able to make measurements of the thickness of
plastic spacer I need. Now I need to find something suitable!

The spacer thickness doesn't have to be exact - as long as it's *less*
than the plaster thickness - because the Gripfill/Stixall or whatever
will fill any slight gaps.

You could possible use the sort of plastic spacers used by window or
door fitters - maybe something like
https://www.multifixings.com/type-d-...-1-subcat.html - which are
available in thicknesses of up to 15mm. [If the shape isn't quite right,
you could cut them in half].
--
Cheers,
Roger