Posted to uk.d-i-y
DerbyBoy DerbyBoy is offline

Default Fitting skirting and avoiding damp

I would find some blocks of plastic (or something impervious to water)
the same thickness as the plaster, and stick them to the brickwork with
Gripfill/Stixall just above floor level at regular - maybe 150mm -
intervals. Then fit the skirting - with a a bead of adhesive near the
top to meet the plaster, and a dollop on each plastic block. The
skirting will then be adequately supported both at the top and bottom -
without creating any water transmission path.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Thanks Roger - sounds good. If I use a straight edge down from the plaster I
should be able to make measurements of the thickness of plastic spacer I
need. Now I need to find something suitable!