Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default fitting high skirting

Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Toucan Groups wrote:
Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

Circular saw against a batten works pretty well. Getting the exact
length can be more difficult than the angle.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toucan Groups" wrote

Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

Either buy a mitre saw/block arrangement or, if they are not available for
deep skirting, make one.

Phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Oct, 13:50, "Toucan Groups" please_rely_thru_news_group wrote:
Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

You need a compound mitre saw which can be adjusted in the vertical
plane as well as the horizontal.
That way you will be cutting a board which is 7" wide and not 7" high.

Mark.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toucan Groups" please_rely_thru_news_group wrote in message
Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

With 7" you're better profiling,much neater.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have used a cheap mitreing device which I got from B&Q, you just slide the
skirting board in, two thumbscrews hold it in place and you just saw down
the 45 deg. angle on the edge for an external mitre. Internal corners are
best profiled the trick to that is to first cut an internal mitre then
follow the profile with a coping saw.

If you are not confident sawing mitres with mitre boxes and the like, buy a
mitre saw, Screwfix are selling 2 that will cut deep mitres up to 178mm (7")
for £20 and £27. These saws consist of a hacksaw like saw mounted on guides
that slide down guide bars the whole arrangement can be swung round to cut
almost any angle including mitres.

After that the next best thing is a sliding compound mitre saw. Got one this
summer from B&Q for £85 for a 250mm diam blade with 295mm lenght of cut it
has been ripping through all sorts since don't know how I managed without
one before.

Richard

"George" wrote in message
.uk...

"Toucan Groups" please_rely_thru_news_group wrote in message
Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

With 7" you're better profiling,much neater.

Who sells 6" high skirting board with rounded top edge? Mike D UK diy 11 June 30th 07 09:49 AM
how high is too high for residential water pressure? bugs bunny Home Repair 20 December 17th 05 08:51 PM
MDF Skirting john UK diy 23 September 4th 05 09:30 AM
Retro fitting TRV's - new valve fitting type Tony Collins UK diy 5 November 27th 04 01:12 PM
Very high input impedance high voltage meter??? Norm Dresner Electronics Repair 21 September 27th 04 08:04 AM