Tony Collins

Default Retro fitting TRV's - new valve fitting type

OK, I've just bought some TRV's for the upstairs, but they have different
fittings from the valves currently fitted.

New valves have 15mm compression fittings and tails for fitting to raditor.

Rads/old valves have union fittings.

Before I drain down and find out I can't fit the new valves easily - what
should I expect. Will the old union fittings remove easily from the rads,
and what tool is needed?

Will the new 15mm tails have the same screw fitting (into the rad) as the
old union types.

Thanks for your help.

--
Tony Collins

Set Square

Tony Collins reply_to_group wrote:

OK, I've just bought some TRV's for the upstairs, but they have
different fittings from the valves currently fitted.

New valves have 15mm compression fittings and tails for fitting to
raditor.

They're probably designed like that so that they can be used either
vertically or horizontally - having compression fittings in both directions.

Rads/old valves have union fittings.

Before I drain down and find out I can't fit the new valves easily -
what should I expect. Will the old union fittings remove easily from
the rads, and what tool is needed?

You will probably need an Allen key of the appropriate size for radiator
valves. You will need to apply quite a lot of torque if the old tails have
been in the rads for a long time. I have a length of steel tube which I
slide over the Allen key to increase leverage.

Will the new 15mm tails have the same screw fitting (into the rad) as
the old union types.

Yes, they will be 1/2" BSP - whose OD is actually nearer three quarters of
an inch.

--
Cheers,
Set Square

Ed Sirett

On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:22:39 +0000, Tony Collins wrote:

OK, I've just bought some TRV's for the upstairs, but they have different
fittings from the valves currently fitted.

New valves have 15mm compression fittings and tails for fitting to raditor.

Rads/old valves have union fittings.

Before I drain down and find out I can't fit the new valves easily - what
should I expect. Will the old union fittings remove easily from the rads,
and what tool is needed?

Will the new 15mm tails have the same screw fitting (into the rad) as the
old union types.

Thanks for your help.

Yes the old tails will have to come out.

A tool like Screwfix #11467 is needed. However since you are only going to
chuck the valve you could simply use Footprints or Stillsons on the old
tail. The key however will allow you to get a good positive grip to which
you may apply further torque as needed. They maybe a 'little' stiff, heat
will help to get the tails out but do nothing for the paint job on the
radiator.

At the left hand side you will need to push the wrench toward the wall or
get someone to half sit on the rad whilst you pull the wrench up.
Even if you have the room don't pull the wrench forward or you may get more
than you were hoping for.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

John Rumm

Ed Sirett wrote:

Even if you have the room don't pull the wrench forward or you may get more
than you were hoping for.

That sounds like the voice of experiance ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Set Square

Ed Sirett wrote:

At the left hand side you will need to push the wrench toward the
wall or get someone to half sit on the rad whilst you pull the wrench
up.
Even if you have the room don't pull the wrench forward or you may
get more than you were hoping for.

But why do it in situ, anyway? To change the valve, you will have to drain
the rad. So why not take the opportunity to remove it and give it a good
wash out. Then, lay it flat on a Workmate to change the tail. That way,
there's no danger of pulling the brackets off the wall.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

IMM

"Ed Sirett" wrote in message
news
[...]

This is the safest method.

or get someone to half sit on the rad
whilst you pull the wrench up.

This still may bend the rad bracket.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk

Identify this type of non-return valve? Richard Sterry UK diy 8 November 12th 04 10:01 AM
After fitting a bottom entry cistern valve - i have a drip - Help! Christian McArdle UK diy 5 September 12th 03 11:16 PM
Icemaker valve noise TURTLE Home Repair 6 August 20th 03 11:36 PM
Old hot water tank fitting mike ring UK diy 0 August 18th 03 08:12 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 03:56 PM