DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   fitting high skirting (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/216383-fitting-high-skirting.html)

Toucan Groups October 3rd 07 01:50 PM

fitting high skirting

Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

Stuart Noble October 3rd 07 02:10 PM

fitting high skirting

Toucan Groups wrote:
Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

Circular saw against a batten works pretty well. Getting the exact
length can be more difficult than the angle.

TheScullster October 3rd 07 02:16 PM

fitting high skirting

"Toucan Groups" wrote

Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

Either buy a mitre saw/block arrangement or, if they are not available for
deep skirting, make one.

Phil

[email protected] October 3rd 07 02:19 PM

fitting high skirting

On 3 Oct, 13:50, "Toucan Groups" please_rely_thru_news_group wrote:
Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

You need a compound mitre saw which can be adjusted in the vertical
plane as well as the horizontal.
That way you will be cutting a board which is 7" wide and not 7" high.

Mark.

Stuart Noble October 3rd 07 02:50 PM

fitting high skirting

wrote:
On 3 Oct,
"Toucan Groups" please_rely_thru_news_group wrote:

Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

It is more usual to scribe the joints rather than mitre. one side is then a
square cut, amd most of the other is too (depends on how fancy the board is).

Mitre the outside, scribe the inside is the norm I think. End grain
doesn't look too pretty on the outside corners.

George October 3rd 07 06:06 PM

fitting high skirting

"Toucan Groups" please_rely_thru_news_group wrote in message
Hi,

I need to fit a skirting board which is 7" high.
I am not sure how to cut a 45 degree angle so that the corners look nice.
Can anyone think of an easy way of making the cuts?

TIA
Colin

With 7" you're better profiling,much neater.

Richard Pawlowski October 4th 07 10:40 PM

fitting high skirting

I have used a cheap mitreing device which I got from B&Q, you just slide the
skirting board in, two thumbscrews hold it in place and you just saw down
the 45 deg. angle on the edge for an external mitre. Internal corners are
best profiled the trick to that is to first cut an internal mitre then
follow the profile with a coping saw.

If you are not confident sawing mitres with mitre boxes and the like, buy a
mitre saw, Screwfix are selling 2 that will cut deep mitres up to 178mm (7")
for £20 and £27. These saws consist of a hacksaw like saw mounted on guides
that slide down guide bars the whole arrangement can be swung round to cut
almost any angle including mitres.

After that the next best thing is a sliding compound mitre saw. Got one this
summer from B&Q for £85 for a 250mm diam blade with 295mm lenght of cut it
has been ripping through all sorts since don't know how I managed without
one before.

Richard

.uk...