Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rendering with sand cement

I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's only
a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to use a
sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"DIYer" writes:
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's only
a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to use a
sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

What are you rendering on to?

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DIYer" writes:
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only
a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to use a
sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

What are you rendering on to?

7N blockwork

wet it with a hosepipe before you start so it doesn;t suck all the
water out of your mix ;)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DIYer" wrote in message
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks

Look in Yellow Pages or similar and find someone who knows how to do it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2011 11:10, Ian wrote:
wrote in message
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks

Look in Yellow Pages or similar and find someone who knows how to do it.

That size is fairly easy to do, using a length of 6"x1" to level it with
the surrounding render. The difficult bit is matching the surface texture.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Ian" wrote in message
om...

"DIYer" wrote in message
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks

Look in Yellow Pages or similar and find someone who knows how to do it.

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DIYer" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
om...

"DIYer" wrote in message
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks

Look in Yellow Pages or similar and find someone who knows how to do it.

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

The bit about d-i-y ing what you can, and knowing when to leave things to
someone else?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2011 17:31, DIYer wrote:
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's only
a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to use a
sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks

I'd PVA it first.

You can buy packs of fibre to mix in with the mortar which helps prevent
cracking.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 8:14 pm, "Ian" wrote:
"DIYer" wrote in message

"Ian" wrote in message
news:TPSdnVyArq2Tal3TnZ2dnUVZ7rmdnZ2d@brightview. com...

"DIYer" wrote in message
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks
Look in Yellow Pages or similar and find someone who knows how to do it.

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

The bit about d-i-y ing what you can, and knowing when to leave things to
someone else?

kin ell !..... modern Britain......

what happened to asking, trying, learning and bettering oneself?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:14:43 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

The bit about d-i-y ing what you can, and knowing when to leave things to
someone else?

****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd PVA it first.

You can buy packs of fibre to mix in with the mortar which helps prevent
cracking.

All Bran?

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:14:48 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

****.

www.henden.co.uk/

Good grief.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 11:31 pm, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:14:48 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

****.

www.henden.co.uk/

Good grief.

flickr ?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On Nov 14, 11:31 pm, Grimly
wrote:
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:14:48 -0800 (PST), Jim
wrote:

****.

www.henden.co.uk/

Good grief.

flickr ?

Yeah, have you ever seen worse pictures taken with a DSLR?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/henden/...n/photostream/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:57:00 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

www.henden.co.uk/

Good grief.

flickr ?

My eyes!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 14, 11:29*am, stuart noble wrote:

I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. *It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

That size is fairly easy to do, using a length of 6"x1" to level it with
the surrounding render. The difficult bit is matching the surface texture..

Too late now if he has built it to finish flush but a slight step in
would have made life easier all around.

Use a 4 to 1 mix and apply a scratch coat. Next day the final.

Your biggest problem is rain falling on it before it is dry. You
shouldn't have too much trouble with cracking, that is a summer thing.

4 metres isn't worth getting a mixer for.

What you do need is a flexible trowel. A cheap one will be hard to use.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim K" wrote in message

"DIYer" wrote in message
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow.
It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

Thanks
Look in Yellow Pages or similar and find someone who knows how to do
it.

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

The bit about d-i-y ing what you can, and knowing when to leave things to
someone else?

kin ell !..... modern Britain......

what happened to asking, trying, learning and bettering oneself?

Jim K

Nothing at all wrong with that.

But your biggest investment is your house.

Whilst many competent DIYers have added to their investment, more than a few
incompetent DIYers have knocked (in more ways than one) quite a bit off
it....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 20:14:43 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

The bit about d-i-y ing what you can, and knowing when to leave things to
someone else?

****.

Congratulations on a fairly accurate self-assessment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Nov 14, 11:29 am, stuart noble wrote:

I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

That size is fairly easy to do, using a length of 6"x1" to level it with
the surrounding render. The difficult bit is matching the surface texture.

Too late now if he has built it to finish flush but a slight step in
would have made life easier all around.

Use a 4 to 1 mix and apply a scratch coat. Next day the final.

Your biggest problem is rain falling on it before it is dry. You
shouldn't have too much trouble with cracking, that is a summer thing.

4 metres isn't worth getting a mixer for.

What you do need is a flexible trowel. A cheap one will be hard to use.

The wall panel is recessed, so I'm rendering up against brickwork at 90
degrees at both ends and up to a bellcast at the bottom. Eaves soffit board
at the top. Cornwall's overcast at the moment with the sun trying to break
out. If this goes okay today, then I'm planning to render all my new
internal walls, which are part of my garage conversion / small extension.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Jim K wrote:
On Nov 14, 8:14 pm, "Ian" wrote:
"DIYer" wrote in message
"Ian" wrote in message
news:TPSdnVyArq2Tal3TnZ2dnUVZ7rmdnZ2d@brightview. com...

[...]
Look in Yellow Pages or similar and find someone who knows how to do it.

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

The bit about d-i-y ing what you can, and knowing when to leave things to
someone else?

kin ell !..... modern Britain......

what happened to asking, trying, learning and bettering oneself?

Though some things are much better learnt by watching someone who knows
how to do it, and having them watch you try, than by reading textual
descriptions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 07:14:42 -0000, "Ian" wrote:

Oh dear. Which part of d-i-y did you struggle with?

The bit about d-i-y ing what you can, and knowing when to leave things to
someone else?

****.

Congratulations on a fairly accurate self-assessment.

Nope, you're still a ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Grimly
Curmudgeon scribeth thus
On Mon, 14 Nov 2011 15:14:48 -0800 (PST), Jim K
wrote:

****.

www.henden.co.uk/

Good grief.

Yes .. Sod that!, you'd never get me ridin me bike clad that way;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"DIYer" writes:
I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only
a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going to use
sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

I haven't rendered before and would welcome any advice or tips

What are you rendering on to?

7N blockwork

Not sure what the surface of those is.

Liberally slap on well diluted PVA (1:5) and let it soak in.
If it completely vanishes in seconds, wait for it to dry, and
repeat (second coat can be less diluted). In response to the
suggestion to wet with a hose - you don't want the blockwork
soaking wet as it will have no suction and the render won't
stick. Also, some concrete blocks (thermal blocks perticularly)
expand and contract slightly when wetted, and this can cause
the bond with the render to break if the blocks shrink after
the render sets.

Apply scratch (under-) coat render before PVA dries (at least,
start before it dries). Apply max 10mm thick. Rule the surface
off flat with a piece of straight edged timber, using a sawing
motion to cut away peaks. Fill in any troughs the straight edge
didn't contact and repeat. The whole surface should be left
rough, but flat. If it's too smooth, scratch over it with a
comb made from some nails poking out of a piece of wood or
hammered through an old float (called a devil float). The
purpose of the scratch coat is to leave a flat surface for the
finish coat, but with a rough finish so the finish coat can
key onto it.

Finish coat needs to be applied between 24 and 48 hours later,
when scratch coat is part set but still wet. Lightly brush off
any surface lumps (_lightly_ being important - at this point you
can brush off all the render if you keep going). Finish coat is
normally much thinner - thick enough to ensure that it completely
covers the rough peaks by a few mm, but doesn't need to be any
thicker as the scratch coat should have left a flat surface,
and if you make the finish coat thick, you risk undoing that
flat surface. Depending on the finish you want, you can polish
the surface, but you may have to wait for it to set a bit first.
The mistake people often make with both plaster and render is
to try poilishing it too much too soon, and end up making it
worse. At least with render, it sets slower, so you have more
leaway. The polishing is done with the straight metal edge of
the rendering trowel, dampened. Do not use a long straight
edge (derby) or your wooden straight edge, and never apply
the face of the trowel to the render, only the edge.

Protect from frost and rain for as long as possible. Render
takes about 6 weeks to reach full strength. Avoid rubbing the
surface before then, as you'll mark it.

I would use a 1:4* cement:sand mix. Scratch coat must be sharp
sand. Finish coat should be too, but you might get away with
building sand for an easier finish but possibly shorter life.
You should include plasticiser for ease of use, and can include
waterproofer. (Strickly, the waterproofer should only be in one
of the coats, and it depends if your doing in winter of summer
which one that is, but I can't remember which way round, and
it probably doesn't matter on a garage.)

*I've had a couple of builders mention to me that cement has
got harder over the years, and you can go with weaker mixes
nowadays.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew

Thank you for taking the time to explain things. I've used building sand,
which here in Cornwall is derived from granite and comes more gritty anyway.
I've applied the scratch coat and am now waiting for the set to float it off
flat, as a trial for the finishing coat tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'm slurry tanking the single block skin garage walls