J Kemph

Default Why sharp sand for rendering?

Anyone know why they recommend sharp sand for mortar rendering onto
brickwork? I would have thought that the finer sand would stick
better...

TIA

JK
Coherers

"J Kemph" wrote in message

Anyone know why they recommend sharp sand for mortar rendering onto
brickwork? I would have thought that the finer sand would stick
better...

I **believe** it has to do with allowing moisture to escape

If you have a chemical damp-course injected, the guarantee will always
specify the use of loam free, washed sharp sand to BS 882 grade M (often
called concreting sand) for re-rendering. The grade governs the particulate
size (M = Medium). On the other hand, soft sands are generally finer with
much smaller average particulates sizes than the rather course grade M.

The reason for this is that large particles packed together result in larger
microscopic spaces between the grains, and this helps moisture escape from
previously damp walls. Using fine grained sand will fill the interstices and
slow the rate at which a damp wall can dry out.

I imagine what is good practice for known damp walls is also good practice
for walls generally. Basically it allows them to "breathe" better.

Mike

"J Kemph" wrote in message

Anyone know why they recommend sharp sand for mortar rendering onto
brickwork? I would have thought that the finer sand would stick
better...

You can get something called plastering sand which is between sharp and
building sand. It gives a finer finish but I'd say the sharp sticks best.

J Kemph

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:27:46 GMT, "Coherers"
wrote:

"J Kemph" wrote in message

[...]

But is this effect negated as soon as the walls are painted with
emilsion? Thanks to everyone for the explanations. -JK

Coherers

"J Kemph" wrote in message

But is this effect negated as soon as the walls are painted with
emilsion? Thanks to everyone for the explanations. -JK

I think you are okay with emulsion as it still allows a certain amount of
moisture through. In fact now you mention it, I seem to recall the same
damp-course specs recommend the use of thin emulsion paints for just this
reason.

However, I imagine that thick oil-based paints would be a different matter.

Another reason I have heard why they use sharp sand relates to what Anna
said. The roughness of the grains gives a better key for the cement
"crystals" which form between grains, and therefore results in stronger
bonds. However, I don't think strength is the main reason because, if so,
presumably it would also be specified more widely for mortars etc.

Anna Kettle

On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 17:43:52 -0000, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

Limewash is cheap

But it makes you have babies :-(

Puzzled Limewash, the noted aphrodisiac /Puzzled

Oh - and a third reason to use it. It is very fashionable according to
some clients of mine who are in marketing and up on such things

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Mary Fisher

wrote:

Limewash is cheap

But it makes you have babies :-(

Puzzled Limewash, the noted aphrodisiac /Puzzled

LOL! My mother's generation always felt the need to whitewash the outside
privvy or cellar just before they went into labour. I always thought it was
an old wives' tale but guess what I had an urge to do before I was carted
off to the labour ward?

Oh - and a third reason to use it. It is very fashionable according to
some clients of mine who are in marketing and up on such things

Oh well, I'll do it if only for that and risk the babies ... :-)

Mary

Coherers

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Mortars aren't supposed to be strong. They are supposed to break
in preference to the bricks breaking, in the even of any movement.

--

That is what my builder said when I caught him using 10:1 ;-)

Mary Fisher

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Mortars aren't supposed to be strong. They are supposed to break
in preference to the bricks breaking, in the even of any movement.

That reminds me of a question which has never had a 100% satisfactory
answer:

What is mortar for?

a) to hold bricks together?

b) to hold bricks apart?

Mary

--
Andrew Gabriel

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"Mary Fisher" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Mortars aren't supposed to be strong. They are supposed to break
in preference to the bricks breaking, in the even of any movement.

That reminds me of a question which has never had a 100% satisfactory
answer:

What is mortar for?

a) to hold bricks together?

No, that's what gravity is for.

b) to hold bricks apart?

Not really.
The purpose is to prevent (or at least to limit) the realative
movement between adjacent bricks. In theory, you could build the
same building with no mortar, but it would be fragile (think of
a dry stone wall or a pile of childrens building blocks).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Mortars aren't supposed to be strong. They are supposed to break
in preference to the bricks breaking, in the even of any movement.

That reminds me of a question which has never had a 100% satisfactory
answer:

What is mortar for?

a) to hold bricks together?

No, that's what gravity is for.

b) to hold bricks apart?

Not really.
The purpose is to prevent (or at least to limit) the realative
movement between adjacent bricks. In theory, you could build the
same building with no mortar, but it would be fragile (think of
a dry stone wall or a pile of childrens building blocks).

You think a dry stone wall is fragile???

But it's a good answer - in relation to bricks. Thanks.

Mary

--
Andrew Gabriel

Mike

"Mary Fisher" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

Mortars aren't supposed to be strong. They are supposed to break
in preference to the bricks breaking, in the even of any movement.

That reminds me of a question which has never had a 100% satisfactory
answer:

What is mortar for?

a) to hold bricks together?

No, that's what gravity is for.

b) to hold bricks apart?

Not really.
The purpose is to prevent (or at least to limit) the realative
movement between adjacent bricks. In theory, you could build the
same building with no mortar, but it would be fragile (think of
a dry stone wall or a pile of childrens building blocks).

Although true in a brick house, in a random stone house the stones lain on
top of each other are quite stable - 24 inches of thickness sees to that -
and I'd say the mortar, which is only on the inner and outer 4 inches or so
is to stop the weather getting into the wall (outer) and to provide a
sensible surface (inner).

Mary Fisher

"Mary Fisher" writes:

What is mortar for?

a) to hold bricks together?

No, that's what gravity is for.

b) to hold bricks apart?

Not really.
The purpose is to prevent (or at least to limit) the realative
movement between adjacent bricks. In theory, you could build the
same building with no mortar, but it would be fragile (think of
a dry stone wall or a pile of childrens building blocks).

Although true in a brick house, in a random stone house the stones lain on
top of each other are quite stable - 24 inches of thickness sees to that -
and I'd say the mortar, which is only on the inner and outer 4 inches or
so
is to stop the weather getting into the wall (outer) and to provide a
sensible surface (inner).

That's another good reply.

I wish I'd had you lot around when my dad used to tease me with this!

Mary

Mike

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
The purpose is to prevent (or at least to limit) the realative
movement between adjacent bricks. In theory, you could build the
same building with no mortar, but it would be fragile (think of
a dry stone wall or a pile of childrens building blocks).

You think a dry stone wall is fragile???

It is while you are building it. I know of cases of people round here being
killed doing so.

Also they are when ******* ramblers stand on them for a better look when
then climb over the stile meant for this purpose.

There is still one good use for foxhounds.

Roger

The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

You think a dry stone wall is fragile???

It is while you are building it. I know of cases of people round here being
killed doing so.

Not in my experience. I confidently stand on incomplete walls when I
build them.

Also they are when ******* ramblers stand on them for a better look when
then climb over the stile meant for this purpose.

200 year old walls where the cowboys who built them didn't as much as
strip the turf off the ground before throwing them up are a prime
candidates for collapse but a well built wall on subsoil that has not
been abused has as much chance of lasting as a mortared wall.

--
Roger
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

You think a dry stone wall is fragile???

It is while you are building it. I know of cases of people round here
being
killed doing so.

I don't. so what does that prove?

People are killed on building sites of all kinds.

Also they are when ******* ramblers stand on them for a better look when
then climb over the stile meant for this purpose.

Anything can be dangerous if misused.

Mary

andrewpreece

Mortar is used to spread the stresses between bricks evenly; you could use
dry sand were it not likely to dribble away. No masonry structure relying
the tensional strength of mortar will stay up for long. I have seen a Roman
aquaduct in Spain constructed of stone only, no mortar. Friction and its own
weight keeps it together. In order to forestall problems with uneven
stresses causing cracking though, they had to shape the individual stones to
fit each other quite accurately.

Of course with bricks, since they are relatively light, a little bit of
tensional strength in the mortar does no harm, especially on the lightly
loaded upper parts of walls.

Andy.

Mike

"Roger" wrote in message
k...
The message
from "Mike" contains these words:

You think a dry stone wall is fragile???

It is while you are building it. I know of cases of people round here

being
killed doing so.

Not in my experience. I confidently stand on incomplete walls when I
build them.

All I can say then is "Are you near the Peak District and are you looking
for work."

Mike

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

Also they are when ******* ramblers stand on them for a better look when
then climb over the stile meant for this purpose.

200 year old walls where the cowboys who built them didn't as much as
strip the turf off the ground before throwing them up are a prime
candidates for collapse but a well built wall on subsoil that has not
been abused has as much chance of lasting as a mortared wall.

Quite possibly. But the fact is most dry stone walls are on dodgy footings
and any abuse causes them to fail.

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

Also they are when ******* ramblers stand on them for a better look
when
then climb over the stile meant for this purpose.

200 year old walls where the cowboys who built them didn't as much as
strip the turf off the ground before throwing them up are a prime
candidates for collapse but a well built wall on subsoil that has not
been abused has as much chance of lasting as a mortared wall.

Quite possibly. But the fact is most dry stone walls are on dodgy
footings
and any abuse causes them to fail.

Evidence?

(not anecdote, opinion or personal experience)

Mike

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

Also they are when ******* ramblers stand on them for a better look
when
then climb over the stile meant for this purpose.

200 year old walls where the cowboys who built them didn't as much as
strip the turf off the ground before throwing them up are a prime
candidates for collapse but a well built wall on subsoil that has not
been abused has as much chance of lasting as a mortared wall.

Quite possibly. But the fact is most dry stone walls are on dodgy
footings
and any abuse causes them to fail.

Evidence?

(not anecdote, opinion or personal experience)

What sort of evidence will you accept then ?

I personally own several miles of dry stone wall and both cattle and
ramblers damage it regularly. As soon as they're damaged in the slightest
way they seem to deteriorate into a pile of stones amazing rapidly.

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

[...]

Perhaps they weren't well built in the first plce or not well maintained ...

But you said copy and paste " ... most dry stone walls ... "

Your own experience is not valid in this context.

Mary

Mary

Mike

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

[...]

Would you accept a comment from the Peak District farmer's association then
? That would cover possibly 20% of dry stone walling the country and a far
higher percentage of ramblers.

Roger

The message
from "andrewpreece" contains these words:

Mortar is used to spread the stresses between bricks evenly; you could use
dry sand were it not likely to dribble away. No masonry structure relying
the tensional strength of mortar will stay up for long. I have seen a Roman
aquaduct in Spain constructed of stone only, no mortar. Friction and its own
weight keeps it together. In order to forestall problems with uneven
stresses causing cracking though, they had to shape the individual stones to
fit each other quite accurately.

Lime mortar can wash out of the joints on exposed walls (the outer skin
of the gable end of my barn has an area of about 10 feet square with
almost none in sight) but the Romans were dab hands at making a cement
mortar that could last 2000 years even exposed to the elements.

--
Roger
Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...

"Mike" wrote in message

"Roger" wrote in message
k...

[...]

LOL! It might also say more about the maintenance in the Peak District than
anything else :-)

Mary

Mike

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
But you said copy and paste " ... most dry stone walls ... "

Your own experience is not valid in this context.

Would you accept a comment from the Peak District farmer's association
then
? That would cover possibly 20% of dry stone walling the country and a
far
higher percentage of ramblers.

LOL! It might also say more about the maintenance in the Peak District

than
anything else :-)

I think what it shows is there is a distinct shortage of dry stone wallers
to undertake maintainence and repair work, hence my offer of work to the
other poster. I doubt if the situation is any better elsewhere though I
accept I don't visit those areas and cannot judge.

Mary Fisher

"Mike" wrote in message

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
et...
But you said copy and paste " ... most dry stone walls ... "

Your own experience is not valid in this context.

Would you accept a comment from the Peak District farmer's association
then
? That would cover possibly 20% of dry stone walling the country and a
far
higher percentage of ramblers.

LOL! It might also say more about the maintenance in the Peak District

than
anything else :-)

I think what it shows is there is a distinct shortage of dry stone wallers
to undertake maintainence and repair work,

Indeed. Not the integrity of a wellbuilt stone wall.

hence my offer of work to the
other poster. I doubt if the situation is any better elsewhere though I
accept I don't visit those areas and cannot judge.

Quite. That's the danger of words like "most".

We all do it ... :-(

Mary

Anna Kettle

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 13:31:33 GMT, Roger
wrote:

Lime mortar can wash out of the joints on exposed walls

Not once it is set it can't. What you are seeing is the results of
sacrificial weathering which is a GOOD THING and you should be
inspired to repoint your gable end come springtime

The Romans were dab hands at making a cement
mortar that could last 2000 years even exposed to the elements.

Roman cement is not cement as we know it today. Today's cement is
produced at much higher temperatures and is much harder and stronger
than Roman cement. If you want the Roman cement effect today then
either use a feebly hydraulic lime mortar (NHL 3.5) or use a lime
putty mortar with 20% of the aggregate being a pozzolan. The Romans
used volcanic ash as a pozzolan, but brick dust is more readily
avaiable in England

Anna

~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642
Roger

The message
from (Anna Kettle) contains these words:

Lime mortar can wash out of the joints on exposed walls

Not once it is set it can't. What you are seeing is the results of
sacrificial weathering which is a GOOD THING and you should be
inspired to repoint your gable end come springtime

I am more inclined to tear down the outer skin of that section of the
gable end and rebuild. It will probably be quicker than squeezing
bucketfuls of mortar into the gaping holes that smile at me as I pass
and being stone it should all be reusable. However any action on that
wall is some way down the pile of tuits (round).

The Romans were dab hands at making a cement
mortar that could last 2000 years even exposed to the elements.

Roman cement is not cement as we know it today. Today's cement is
produced at much higher temperatures and is much harder and stronger
than Roman cement. If you want the Roman cement effect today then
either use a feebly hydraulic lime mortar (NHL 3.5) or use a lime
putty mortar with 20% of the aggregate being a pozzolan. The Romans
used volcanic ash as a pozzolan, but brick dust is more readily
avaiable in England

Brick? What's that?

I haven't been close to original Roman walling lately to test how hard
it is but I don't rate cement mortar as hard (except when compared with
lime mortar). There are a good many examples of Roman masonry that have
survived 2000 years. That bit of my gable end has lost its mortar in 400
or possibly much less).

--
Roger
Anna Kettle

I haven't been close to original Roman walling lately to test how hard
it is

It is hard. You are right it is not going anywhere in a hurry

I don't rate cement mortar as hard (except when compared with
lime mortar)

You would if a lump landed on your head

There are a good many examples of Roman masonry that have
survived 2000 years. That bit of my gable end has lost its mortar in 400
or possibly much less).

Maybe that is something to do with what materials were available at
the time.

400 years Queen Elizabeth I was about to die and I don't think the
road transport system was any great shakes so whoever built your gable
end used lime dug out of the ground half a mile away and local sand
which might not have the right amount of clay in it and the particles
might be poorly graded

Contrariwise, whoever built the Roman buildings had an efficient
supply system (Roman roads and slaves) to bring materials from further
away

Anna
~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England
|""""| ~ Lime plaster repairs
/ ^^ \ // Freehand modelling in lime: overmantels, pargeting etc
|____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 01359 230642

Sharp, but not scary Michael Press Woodworking 9 April 30th 04 06:23 AM
Sharp Microwave Ray Batig Electronics Repair 5 March 8th 04 12:52 AM
Jointer/Planer knives - How sharp should I expect Dave Rowell Woodworking 11 January 4th 04 11:36 PM
Failure to get sharp RWL Metalworking 21 October 10th 03 03:23 AM
Sharp R7380 Microwave Craig Electronics Repair 0 July 10th 03 10:50 PM