Posted to uk.d-i-y
DIYer[_2_] DIYer[_2_] is offline

Default Rendering with sand cement

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
On Nov 14, 11:29 am, stuart noble wrote:

I've just blocked up my garage door and plan to render tomorrow. It's
only a small panel, 2.2 x 2.1m with a 1.0 x 1.2m window and I'm going
use a sand / cement mix with plasticiser.

That size is fairly easy to do, using a length of 6"x1" to level it with
the surrounding render. The difficult bit is matching the surface texture.

Too late now if he has built it to finish flush but a slight step in
would have made life easier all around.

Use a 4 to 1 mix and apply a scratch coat. Next day the final.

Your biggest problem is rain falling on it before it is dry. You
shouldn't have too much trouble with cracking, that is a summer thing.

4 metres isn't worth getting a mixer for.

What you do need is a flexible trowel. A cheap one will be hard to use.

The wall panel is recessed, so I'm rendering up against brickwork at 90
degrees at both ends and up to a bellcast at the bottom. Eaves soffit board
at the top. Cornwall's overcast at the moment with the sun trying to break
out. If this goes okay today, then I'm planning to render all my new
internal walls, which are part of my garage conversion / small extension.