Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default You can't get the customers...

Phone rang around 9am;

"I have a problem with my airing cupboard door, How much to fix it"?

TMH; Whats wrong with it?

"I don't know".

TMH; Is it falling off? Jammed shut? Won't close?

"I don't know, I'm not a carpenter. How much to fix it?"

TMH; If I don't know whats wrong I can't tell you I'm afraid.

"OK, I'm in this afternoon, what time will you be round?"

TMH; I couldn't fit it in till Friday. Whats wrong with it?

"I don't know, but I can't wait till Friday".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Phone rang around 9am;

"I have a problem with my airing cupboard door, How much to fix it"?

TMH; Whats wrong with it?

I've learnt (another) expensive lesson today.
A local couple who i've worked for before rang me last Thursday to fit a
bathroom cabinet, and a porcelain cover for the sink.

I said I would fit it in when I get a chance, give me a week, if I get a
chance, I'll be round on Friday afternoon, otherwise it'll be next
week.OK, no problems they said.

Couldnt make it Friday as I didnt finish until 6, got home, 2 messages
on the answerphone - 'you said you were coming, what time?, and 'we've
waited in but you didnt come, ring us to let us know when you are
coming'
I rang, and said I'd be round when I get a chance, as I had said
yesterday.

So, 4pm Monday, I get a call, 'are you coming today?'
No.
8am Tuesday, another call, are you coming today? I said I'd be round at
4pmish. Got there at 4:45.

Now this job is to drill 4 holes, and screw the fittings in. I had told
them it woudl be £10. Complete waste of time for me, but I thought I'd
be doing them a favour, so not particularly bothered about the money.
Started with the porcelain cover.
Captive bolts in the wall, so drilled/put them in, and saw it was a
bloody awful fit. Tightened up one of the bolts, to nowhere near 'really
tight', and the whole thing shattered.
FFS.
I packed my stuff up, told him I'd drop the cash off tomorrow to replace
the piece of junk he'd bought, and I wouldnt be doing anything else as
it was just not worth my time to do 'favours', then be out of pocket.

So, that's it now, no more favours, or cheap jobs, and I'll be refusing
to fit any more junk that a customer has bought.

Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phone rang around 9am;

"I have a problem with my airing cupboard door, How much to fix it"?

TMH; Whats wrong with it?

"I don't know".

Just the same as when my mum rings me for help fixing her computer
problems...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Phone rang around 9am;

"I have a problem with my airing cupboard door, How much to fix it"?

TMH; Whats wrong with it?

"I don't know".

TMH; Is it falling off? Jammed shut? Won't close?

"I don't know, I'm not a carpenter. How much to fix it?"

Should of asked him how he knew it was broken! ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:34:54 +0000, John Rumm
wrote:

Should of

Could of.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 18:10:20 +0000, The Medway Handyman
wrote:

Phone rang around 9am;

"I have a problem with my airing cupboard door, How much to fix it"?

TMH; Whats wrong with it?

"I don't know".

Had exactly the same at St George's Hospital, Tooting.

Superintendant Radiographer ... "The films are falling off"

Me ... "What's happening, what is it that's making them fall off?"

Sup. Rad. in aggressive/defensive mood "How am I supposed to know?"

The films are can be seen exposed at all times and the usual cause is
films properly located at bottom but not at top, or films curly not
flat because the dryer is set too hot.

Me, "Sigh. You'll have to have a service visit then (needing a 520
mile drive with 2 overnight stays in a hotel) let's say £1,100 before
I start."

Derek G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:02:03 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Should of

Could of.

Could have.

Wood off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 20:01:41 +0000, Ian wrote:

"Derek Geldard" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 12:31:15 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon
wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:02:03 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Should of

Could of.

Could have.

Wood off.

Wood eye

WoodRuff. At least it's OT......

Yes, that's the key thing....
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Fields wrote:

Derek Geldard wrote:

Superintendant Radiographer ... "The films are falling off"

Me ... "What's happening, what is it that's making them fall off?"

Sup. Rad. in aggressive/defensive mood "How am I supposed to know?"

The films are can be seen exposed at all times and the usual cause is
films properly located at bottom but not at top, or films curly not
flat because the dryer is set too hot.

Me, "Sigh. You'll have to have a service visit then (needing a 520
mile drive with 2 overnight stays in a hotel) let's say £1,100 before
I start."

Make your money while you can....

The last X-ray I had was a case of walking 10 yards down a corridor,
being positioned in front of something, then being told to go back to
the consultant. By the time I'd walked the 10 yards back, he'd
examined the image on his computer...

my dentist has been doing that for years.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 08:42:45 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

Make your money while you can....

The last X-ray I had was a case of walking 10 yards down a corridor,
being positioned in front of something, then being told to go back to
the consultant. By the time I'd walked the 10 yards back, he'd
examined the image on his computer...

Aye, even our cottage hospital x-ray machine is digital now, though
it wasn't about three years ago. It also has a ,net connection to the
radiographers/consultants at Carlisle so for routine stuff you don't
have to make the 60+ mile round trip just for an x-ray. There is also
a video link to the "out of hours" doctors in Penrith.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Terry Fields" wrote in message

Make your money while you can....

The last X-ray I had was a case of walking 10 yards down a corridor,
being positioned in front of something, then being told to go back to
the consultant. By the time I'd walked the 10 yards back, he'd
examined the image on his computer...

They haven't had xray film in the main machines in our local NHS hospital
for years.
Even a few years ago when they looked like they were putting films in the
machines they weren't.. they were charged metallised polyester(IIRC) sheets,
the X rays affected the charge on them and they then scanned it to get the
image.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Terry Fields
scribeth thus

Derek Geldard wrote:

Superintendant Radiographer ... "The films are falling off"

Me ... "What's happening, what is it that's making them fall off?"

Sup. Rad. in aggressive/defensive mood "How am I supposed to know?"

The films are can be seen exposed at all times and the usual cause is
films properly located at bottom but not at top, or films curly not
flat because the dryer is set too hot.

Me, "Sigh. You'll have to have a service visit then (needing a 520
mile drive with 2 overnight stays in a hotel) let's say £1,100 before
I start."

Make your money while you can....

The last X-ray I had was a case of walking 10 yards down a corridor,
being positioned in front of something, then being told to go back to
the consultant. By the time I'd walked the 10 yards back, he'd
examined the image on his computer...
Terry Fields

Thats how there're doing it these days and damm good it is too!. My
daughter despite being told not to walk around barefoot after we bloke a
large window did just that and got a bit of glass in her foot. Whilst we
pulled that bit out it was still painful and she was duly taken to
hospital and X-rayed. Nothing could be seen but she was till in pain.
We were old to come back if it didn't get any better.

In the meantime someone who knew how to get the best out of that system
used the Zoom and enhance facilities then the remaining bit of glass was
seen. In the meantime the surrounding tissue had pushed it to the
surface where it was removed

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 08:42:45 +0000, Terry Fields wrote:

Make your money while you can....

The last X-ray I had was a case of walking 10 yards down a corridor,
being positioned in front of something, then being told to go back to
the consultant. By the time I'd walked the 10 yards back, he'd
examined the image on his computer...

Aye, even our cottage hospital x-ray machine is digital now, though
it wasn't about three years ago. It also has a ,net connection to the
radiographers/consultants at Carlisle so for routine stuff you don't
have to make the 60+ mile round trip just for an x-ray. There is also
a video link to the "out of hours" doctors in Penrith.

They can do that and an excellent idea it is too. But they cannot get
the medical record from my GP's office at the hospital where the lack of
knowledge that I had an antibiotic allergy almost put me six foot
under;!...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:02:03 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Should of

Could of.

Could have.

Wood off.

Wood eye

Mornington Crescent.

Crescent wrench.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:02:03 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Should of

Could of.

Could have.

Wood off.

Wood eye

Mornington Crescent.

Crescent wrench.

pleasant clench

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 3, 1:03 pm, Tim Streater wrote:
In article
,

wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2011 09:02:03 +0000, Tim Streater
wrote:

Should of

Could of.

Could have.

Wood off.

Wood eye

Mornington Crescent.

Crescent wrench.

pleasant clench

pleasant wench?

--
Tim

french peasant?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 03 Nov 2011 11:10:08 +0000, tony sayer wrote:

In article o.uk, Dave
Liquorice scribeth thus
[...]

That's why a bracelet is a good idea...Both I and one of my sons have one.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/11/2011 11:06, tony sayer wrote:
In , Terry Fields
scribeth thus

Derek Geldard wrote:

[...]

Tell me more :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/11 19:23, A.Lee wrote:
So, that's it now, no more favours, or cheap jobs, and I'll be refusing
to fit any more junk that a customer has bought.

Alan.

Never a good deed goes unpunished.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
On 01/11/11 19:23, A.Lee wrote:
So, that's it now, no more favours, or cheap jobs, and I'll be refusing
to fit any more junk that a customer has bought.

Alan.

Never a good deed goes unpunished.

I don't think it is always the customer after Saturday's experience. I
wanted a metal box file to take record cards. I found what I wanted and
asked if the shrink wrap could be removed so that I could measure the
inside. The answer is No, take it as it is. I pointed out I had special
cards that had to fit. The lady then went up stairs and found one that was
not wrapped up. I said I will take that one. No you can't have that one it's
not a stock item she said. I said it is the colour I want and I have
measured this one. Off she goes and returns and said You can have this one
but I'm sorry we will have to charge you less. By this time I'm looking
around for the TV cameras!
You can't get the staff either, it seems

Robbie