Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT ... PC upgrade

Carrying out upgrade so it has an element of diy :-)

PC is running Vista Ultimate (genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

However .. I can buy the student version for £59 ..
http://www.software4students.co.uk/M...e-details.aspx

It even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the software
after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the
software after 3 years

no, once you've got it you keep it.

do they check you are a student ?

You need a functioning .ac.uk email address
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 10:14*pm, Andy Burns wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:
How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the
software after 3 years

no, once you've got it you keep it.

do they check you are a student ?

You need a functioning .ac.uk email address

You don't need that for software4students MS products, I think you do
for Adobe though.

http://www.software4students.co.uk/FAQ.aspx#q1
Posted to uk.d-i-y

However .. I can buy the student version for £59 ..http://www.software4students.co.uk/M...Ultimate_32_bi...

It even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the software
after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Used it many times and its what we recomend to our students. Choose
the CD option rather than the download, that can be a bit of a hassle
should you need to run a repair or re install. Highly recomend the
site.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

You need a functioning .ac.uk email address

Sorry Andy, but thats not correct, see the conditions pasted from
their website. In particular 2.

The Key Facts About Eligibility.

1. All School, College, University students and their family members
are eligible!

2.No Student ID required for Microsoft Software*:As an Official
Microsoft Partner, our offers extend beyond academic email address
holders so that any family member or guardian can buy on behalf of a
pupil or student.

*All licensees' must be Qualified Education Users (i.e. students or
their parents or guardians)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
o.uk...
Rick Hughes wrote:

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the
software after 3 years

no, once you've got it you keep it.

do they check you are a student ?

You need a functioning .ac.uk email address

Be very careful, read your computer manufacturers website for your model of
PC first.

A friend was in your position and he purchased the Windows 7 Ultimate for
his PC. Waste of money. His PC wouldn't run it. Checked on the manufacturers
website and sure enough, it wasn't compatible.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:10:48 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Yes, very good value and shows how much money MS is ripping ordinary
business or retail customers off with the charge what the market will
stand stance. Of course it might be cross subsidised on the basis of
getting children and families hooked on MS products early means they
make more sales overall, as machines are upgraded etc.

All you need is a family member in fulltime education. IIRC the
licence you get allows the software to be loaded on up to three
machines simultaneously but as this is MS read the small print...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:22:36 +0000, Dave Liquorice wrote:

On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:10:48 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Yes, very good value and shows how much money MS is ripping ordinary
business or retail customers off with the charge what the market will
stand stance. Of course it might be cross subsidised on the basis of
getting children and families hooked on MS products early means they
make more sales overall, as machines are upgraded etc.

All you need is a family member in fulltime education. IIRC the licence
you get allows the software to be loaded on up to three machines
simultaneously but as this is MS read the small print...

Yup, use it a lot. Two kifs in full time education and two parents
teaching....

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 10:10*pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Carrying out upgrade so it *has an element of diy * :-)

PC is running Vista Ultimate *(genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

However .. I can buy the student version for £59 ..http://www.software4students.co.uk/M...Ultimate_32_bi...

It even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the software
after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB
stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate
Edition.

I bought a copy of XP students and teachers editions in 2001 or so.
Nobody asked me which I was.
(Both; till the day I die.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus

"johno" wrote in message

[...]

Why ever not?..

He must have had a very low spec PC then?..

Jim

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johno" wrote in message
[...]

More likely weird hardware with no w7 driver support.

Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB
stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate
Edition.

Talk about M$ rip offs, take a free product and charge 20 quid for it + a 1
quid stick.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

johno wrote:

You need a functioning .ac.uk email address

Sorry Andy, but thats not correct

OK, perhaps not fo that particular promotion (I didn't visit the page)
but certainly has been for other ones they've run ...

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/education/studentoffer/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2011 22:10, Rick Hughes wrote:

.. I can buy the student version for £59 ..
http://www.software4students.co.uk/M...e-details.aspx

It even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the
software after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Used them several times. I don't think they do any checking up at all.
Old Farts like me who belong to U3A qualify for Microsoft products and
you get the activation code with the box, or online if you download.

But for Adobe products you only get a "coupon code" and the 30-day trial
product. You then have to send Adobe proof of genuine academic status -
student photo-card or letter of employment + current payslip - from an
accredited educational establishment. Only then will Adobe send you an
activation code.

--
Reentrant

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB
stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate
Edition.

Talk about M$ rip offs, take a free product and charge 20 quid for it +
a 1 quid stick.

Dunno why anyone would charge for linux at all, unless its for support.

I just downloaded it and burned an installation DVD.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 9:32*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB
stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate
Edition.

Talk about M$ rip offs, take a free product and charge 20 quid for it +
a 1 quid stick.

Dunno why anyone would charge for linux at all, unless its for support.

I just downloaded it and burned an installation DVD.

How did you like it?

I think that a finished product on a USB stick at 20 odd quid would be
ideal for anyone lame enough to buy Windows at twice the price on a CD
or DVD. I might get one myself.

Tesco were selling 4 GB sticks for a fiver but they are not large
enough to hold Ultimate Ubuntu.

Of course you can get versions of linux that require less than 50 mb
these days. I don't see the sense of those though.

The problem with Microsoft products is that the company reamed Tory B
Liar when he asked them for help to ruin the country and now we have
to have expensive computer taxation to make use of the "free"
facilities in schools and libraries.

It is so bad that you can't find a book on the subject of office help
in this country unless it is Microsoft Office.

That's not right is it?

rant mode off

Ricky baby, go buy WTH you like.
For the rest of us:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

PC is running Vista Ultimate (genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

I boggle at the thought of paying for an OS...

I can't understand why anyone would run Win7[1]...

The thought of paying money for the pile of steaming cr@p that is Win7
is off the radar!

[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at
least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin.

[2] This'll be the sad, sad day when I can't get drivers that work in XP :-(

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 9:21*am, Reentrant wrote:
[...]

Oh, I joined that a couple of weeks back. So I can get Microsoft cheap
eh?

Wow, that changes everything.

http://www.ebuyer.com/search?q=4+gb+...+drive&x=0&y=0 How come the preces vary so much; anyone?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB
stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate
Edition.

Talk about M$ rip offs, take a free product and charge 20 quid for it + a
1 quid stick.

Dunno why anyone would charge for linux at all, unless its for support.

because they can, just like M$.

I just downloaded it and burned an installation DVD.

I put it on a stick, there are instructions about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Scott M
writes
Rick Hughes wrote:

PC is running Vista Ultimate (genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

I boggle at the thought of paying for an OS...

So you're happy to carry on running a pirated copy of Windows or an
inferior OS such as Linux?

I can't understand why anyone would run Win7[1]...

The thought of paying money for the pile of steaming cr@p that is Win7
is off the radar!

Your ignorance is showing. W7 is far superior to Vista any day.

[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at
least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin.

You can turn off the graphics in W7 as well.

[2] This'll be the sad, sad day when I can't get drivers that work in XP :-(

I find W7 is more compatible with my old hardware than Vista ever was.
--
Hugh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 11:01, Weatherlawyer wrote:

Oh, I joined [U3A] a couple of weeks back. So I can get Microsoft cheap
eh?

Wow, that changes everything.

Yes, no problem. If your particular U3A branch doesn't appear in the
dropdown list when you order, click the Bromley (BR1 postcode) national
office.

--
Reentrant
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
dennis@home wrote:

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB
stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate
Edition.

Talk about M$ rip offs, take a free product and charge 20 quid for it +
a 1 quid stick.

Dunno why anyone would charge for linux at all, unless its for support.

I just downloaded it and burned an installation DVD.

How did you like it?

I don't like linux as a desktop.
I have had so many things that don't work properly on my machine that its
not worth it.
It is a slightly unusual machine being a convertible tablet with a
multitouch screen.

I think that a finished product on a USB stick at 20 odd quid would be
ideal for anyone lame enough to buy Windows at twice the price on a CD
or DVD. I might get one myself.

Tesco were selling 4 GB sticks for a fiver but they are not large
enough to hold Ultimate Ubuntu.

You can buy 32 Gb sticks for about £17 inc P&P.

Of course you can get versions of linux that require less than 50 mb
these days. I don't see the sense of those though.

They run on old computers, you know the ones that use so much electricity
they would pay for a new PC in a few months.

The problem with Microsoft products is that the company reamed Tory B
Liar when he asked them for help to ruin the country and now we have
to have expensive computer taxation to make use of the "free"
facilities in schools and libraries.

What expensive taxation?

It is so bad that you can't find a book on the subject of office help
in this country unless it is Microsoft Office.

There is no money in linux or other free software.
People download it, decide they don't like it and buy office home and
student, or get a copy off their friends (it can run on three machines so
its only ~£20 a copy).

That's not right is it?

Its life.

rant mode off

Ricky baby, go buy WTH you like.
For the rest of us:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 31/10/2011 23:22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:10:48 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Yes, very good value and shows how much money MS is ripping ordinary
business or retail customers off with the charge what the market will
stand stance.

How much did you think a mass produced CD and case cost to make then? ;-)

Of course it might be cross subsidised on the basis of
getting children and families hooked on MS products early means they
make more sales overall, as machines are upgraded etc.

That will have a large part to play. As will the deals they will do with
large OEM, or less than copyright friendly nations to sell their product
at almost any cost if it means maintaining the whole eco system and
keeping users aware from competitive products.

All you need is a family member in fulltime education. IIRC the
licence you get allows the software to be loaded on up to three
machines simultaneously but as this is MS read the small print...

It varies with the package. There are signs that they are starting to
soften a little on the home user in general...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Scott M wrote:
Rick Hughes wrote:

PC is running Vista Ultimate (genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

I boggle at the thought of paying for an OS...

But you later say you're running XP?

I can't understand why anyone would run Win7[1]...

The thought of paying money for the pile of steaming cr@p that is Win7
is off the radar!

[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at
least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin.

I was extremely glad my laptop came with a free upgrade to Win7 from
Vista. My desktop was running XP. Now Win7 which I prefer to XP. But have
kept XP on another partition.

Think you're the very first person I've heard admitting to liking Vista.

--
*Income tax service - We‘ve got what it takes to take what you've got.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 11:14, Hugh Jampton wrote:

I find W7 is more compatible with my old hardware than Vista ever was.

I've never used Vista - going straight from XP to W7 - but all my
hardware and most of my software works in W7 - albeit with a few quirks.

Examples of minor problems a
* There's no specific W7 driver for my HP Deskjet 1220C - so it has to
use a generic one which is without many of the advanced features (like
booklet printing)
* Quicken 98 has lost its ability to print invoices
* CapellaScan5 only works in German!
* Finale 2002 prints n^2 copies when you tell it to print n!

I can get round most of these by running the affected application in a
virtual XP machine within W7 - bit of a fag, but it saves a fortune on
updating all my applications.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 31/10/2011 23:22, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:10:48 -0000, Rick Hughes wrote:

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

Yes, very good value and shows how much money MS is ripping ordinary
business or retail customers off with the charge what the market will
stand stance.

How much did you think a mass produced CD and case cost to make then? ;-)

About 10p for the disk and about 15p for the case and inserts?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Weatherlawyer wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:10Â*pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Carrying out upgrade so it Â*has an element of diy Â* :-)

PC is running Vista Ultimate Â*(genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

However .. I can buy the student version for £59 ..http://www.software4students.co.uk/M...Ultimate_32_bi...

It even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the software
after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

59 quid is far too much. You can get easily better stuff on a USB
stick from a Linux distributer for about 20 quid. Eg Ubuntu Ultimate
Edition.

£20!!! Just download it for free. Or if it's really, really
difficult then you can get free Ubuntu CDs if you ask.

I bought a copy of XP students and teachers editions in 2001 or so.
Nobody asked me which I was.
(Both; till the day I die.)

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 1, 9:21 am, wrote:

Used them several times. I don't think they do any checking up at all.
Old Farts like me who belong to U3A qualify for Microsoft products and
you get the activation code with the box, or online if you download.

Oh, I joined that a couple of weeks back. So I can get Microsoft cheap
eh?

Wow, that changes everything.

Yes it does

Forget about having to sire kids to gain microsoft discounts, all ye now
have to do is have the friendly mother-in-law gain residence in your
abode and pack her off daily to the University of the 3rd Age!

Sweet.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-11-01, dennis@home wrote:

There is no money in linux or other free software.

Oh, so Red Hat's business is imaginary, is it?

Ok tell us which free software RH sell?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Think you're the very first person I've heard admitting to liking Vista.

No, I just hate it less than Win7! They've changed the fundamentals just
for the sake of it which, to me, is a pain. To me an OS is something
that looks after the mouse and keyboard, not something to "surprise and
delight" me with endless pointless graphic things; sliding menus,
see-through menu bars in a vain attempt to emulate Macs.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hugh Jampton wrote:
In message , Scott M
writes

I boggle at the thought of paying for an OS...

So you're happy to carry on running a pirated copy of Windows or an
inferior OS such as Linux?

Funnily enough I was given a free copy of Win 7 this morning. Currently
trying to remove it from the Netbook it came with. Free because there
was a case a while ago where someone wanted a refund because he didn't
want the OS with a laptop. It was granted but them M$ changed the
wording so it's not possible any more.

Your ignorance is showing. W7 is far superior to Vista any day.
You can turn off the graphics in W7 as well.

I know. I tried it a while ago on a W7 PC but the colour scheme your
left with for the task bar text is almost unreadable and it can't be
changed. Not really a solution.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"johno" wrote in message
[...]

I can give an example. My Gateway laptop (four years old) is a Vista
machine but cannot be upgraded to Win 7 as there are no drivers for either
USB or the audio. Fortunately Vista has behaved itself and I have no need
to upgrade.
--
Tinkerer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rick Hughes wrote:

PC is running Vista Ultimate (genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

I boggle at the thought of paying for an OS...

So you're happy to carry on running a pirated copy of Windows or an
inferior OS such as Linux?

I can't understand why anyone would run Win7[1]...

The thought of paying money for the pile of steaming cr@p that is Win7
is off the radar!

Your ignorance is showing. W7 is far superior to Vista any day.

[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at
least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin.

You can turn off the graphics in W7 as well.

[2] This'll be the sad, sad day when I can't get drivers that work in
XP :-(

I find W7 is more compatible with my old hardware than Vista ever was.

I managed to go straight from XP to 7 which is quite user friendly if
you spend enough time googling how to get it to work your way instead of
how some idiot at M$ thinks you out to use it.

There are however some issues with some software and the 64 bit version
of W7 (which I have) not liking each other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-11-01, dennis@home wrote:

There is no money in linux or other free software.

Oh, so Red Hat's business is imaginary, is it?

Ok tell us which free software RH sell?

Linux

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/11/2011 10:52, Scott M wrote:

[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at
least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin.

There really is little to commend Vista over Win7 beyond "that is what
the machine came with, and I can't be bothered to change it".

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 31, 10:10*pm, "Rick Hughes"
wrote:
Carrying out upgrade so it *has an element of diy * :-)

PC is running Vista Ultimate *(genuine licensed)
If I look around I can get Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade for about £150

However .. I can buy the student version for £59 ..http://www.software4students.co.uk/M...Ultimate_32_bi...

It even says family members of students can buy at this rate ?

How does this work ... does the big Bill gates empire time out the software
after 3 years, do they check you are a student ?

Anybody used the 'student' route to buy MS software ?

How it works is you sit around trying to work out how much you can pay
for windows when linux is now as user friendly, is better in most
respects, is free, and also free of most horrible windows issues. Try
Mint 7, pretty much no learning curve to worry about.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 Nov 2011 10:52:37 +0000, Scott M wrote:

[1] I would actually, in preference, run Vista[2] than 7 as you can at
least turn off the ghastly graphics and made it look like TradWin.

I'm running 7 (only use it for work stuff), and mine looks pretty
traditional! Apart from the Start button not saying, Start, that is.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
On 01/11/2011 14:18, dennis@home wrote:

Ok tell us which free software RH sell?

Linux

They don't sell Linux.

Upgrade or not? Doug Miller Woodworking 0 June 27th 06 04:42 AM
Upgrade or not? Dave Balderstone Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 02:29 AM
Upgrade or not? Doug Miller Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 02:01 AM
Upgrade or not? Tom Watson Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 01:33 AM
Upgrade or not? Leon Woodworking 0 May 20th 06 12:24 AM