Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tinkerer[_2_] Tinkerer[_2_] is offline

Default OT ... PC upgrade

tony sayer wrote:
In article ,
the_constructor scribeth thus
"johno" wrote in message
You need a functioning .ac.uk email address
Sorry Andy, but thats not correct, see the conditions pasted from
their website. In particular 2.

The Key Facts About Eligibility.

1. All School, College, University students and their family members
are eligible!

2.No Student ID required for Microsoft Software*:As an Official
Microsoft Partner, our offers extend beyond academic email address
holders so that any family member or guardian can buy on behalf of a
pupil or student.

*All licensees' must be Qualified Education Users (i.e. students or
their parents or guardians)
Be very careful, read your computer manufacturers website for your model
of PC first.

A friend was in your position and he purchased the Windows 7 Ultimate
for his PC. Waste of money. His PC wouldn't run it. Checked on the
manufacturers website and sure enough, it wasn't compatible.

Why ever not?..

He must have had a very low spec PC then?..

More likely weird hardware with no w7 driver support.

I can give an example. My Gateway laptop (four years old) is a Vista
machine but cannot be upgraded to Win 7 as there are no drivers for either
USB or the audio. Fortunately Vista has behaved itself and I have no need
to upgrade.
--
Tinkerer