Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What price for replacing combi boiler and power flush

What sort of price should I expect to pay for replacing my old baxi
combi boiler with a worcester condensing combi?

I expect I will need a power flush also.

I live in East Kent.

It will almost certainly be just a swap with no complications.

I shall be purchasing the boiler myself.

Is it likely to take a day?
Or longer?

Steve...............
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Lewis wrote:
What sort of price should I expect to pay for replacing my old baxi
combi boiler with a worcester condensing combi?

I expect I will need a power flush also.

I live in East Kent.

It will almost certainly be just a swap with no complications.

I shall be purchasing the boiler myself.

Is it likely to take a day?
Or longer?

one long hard or a couple of more relaxed ones at a guess.

the concept of no complications is unknown in DIY.

Steve...............

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Oct 10, 8:18*pm, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
Steve Lewis wrote:
What sort of price should I expect to pay for replacing my old baxi
combi boiler with a worcester condensing combi?

I expect I will need a power flush also.

I live in East Kent.

It will almost certainly be just a swap with no complications.

I shall be purchasing the boiler myself.

Is it likely to take a day?
Or longer?

one long hard or a couple of more relaxed ones at a guess.

the concept of no complications is unknown in DIY.

Steve...............- Hide quoted text -

British Gas quoted me about 5 K for replacing an old back boiler with
a comi in the place of the old hot water tank and a cheapo fire in the
living room, plus one replacement radiator that leaks and flushing.
This was a few months ago, but I did not take up the offer, it sounded
a lot to me. It is still all working OK and so I shall put it off in
the hope that I can get some sort of grant.

Regards George.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Lewis wrote:
What sort of price should I expect to pay for replacing my old baxi
combi boiler with a worcester condensing combi?

I expect I will need a power flush also.

I live in East Kent.

It will almost certainly be just a swap with no complications.

I shall be purchasing the boiler myself.

Is it likely to take a day?
Or longer?

Calling in Heating engineer ... expect a sucking in of air through the
teeth, and a lot of 'Hmmms'

Especially as you are knocking his margins he would normally make on boiler
..... you would be well advised to get a fixed price.

£300 if you are supplying all parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have already agreed with a possible installer that I get the boiler.

I am waiting for him to come round and give me a price just to remove
the old one and replace it with a worcester.
I guess I will need the system power flushed as well. Isn't this a
condition of any guarantee these days?

Steve.................

Rick Hughes wrote:
Steve Lewis wrote:
What sort of price should I expect to pay for replacing my old baxi
combi boiler with a worcester condensing combi?

I expect I will need a power flush also.

I live in East Kent.

It will almost certainly be just a swap with no complications.

I shall be purchasing the boiler myself.

Is it likely to take a day?
Or longer?

Calling in Heating engineer ... expect a sucking in of air through the
teeth, and a lot of 'Hmmms'

Especially as you are knocking his margins he would normally make on boiler
.... you would be well advised to get a fixed price.

£300 if you are supplying all parts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is he gas safe registered or whatever it is now called?

If not it is extremely illegal.

I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

Steve...

Stewart wrote:
My son also managed to purchase a brand new combi boiler on eBay for �450,
he managed to fit it himself.

"Ret." wrote in message
In article 45f0b59c-8025-415b-93dd-57b334127da1
@q17g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, says...

What sort of price should I expect to pay for replacing my old baxi
combi boiler with a worcester condensing combi?

I expect I will need a power flush also.

I live in East Kent.

It will almost certainly be just a swap with no complications.

I shall be purchasing the boiler myself.

Is it likely to take a day?
Or longer?

My son recently replaced his ancient WB combi with a new condensing WB
combi. I managed to get a great deal on the boiler via eBay (it was
brand-new and boxed but a fair bit cheaper than the cheapest deal on
internet retailers web-sites).

He found a local plumber who did the installation for him - and he was
charged ?360 for the job

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Steve Lewis wrote:
Is he gas safe registered or whatever it is now called?

If not it is extremely illegal.

I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

Steve...

It is not illegal to install gas appliances for yourself - of course, if
there is a resulting accident, your insurance company mightn't love you.

--
From KT24

Using a RISC OS computer running v5.16

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Just looked at gassaferegister.co.uk and it states this

It is against the law for anyone to do work on gas appliances in the
United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Guernsey unless they are Gas Safe
registered.

Steve....

Steve Lewis wrote:
Is this correct?

Surely not!

Steve......

Ret. wrote:
In article e73df451-3d27-4e7c-abb3-
,
says...

Is he gas safe registered or whatever it is now called?

If not it is extremely illegal.

A common misconception. It is only illegal if you charge for gas work
when you are not qualified. If you are doing gas work for yourself - it
is perfectly legal.

I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

See above. If you have the competence - then there isn't a problem. In
any case - you could install the boiler and all the plumbing - but then
get a qualified gas fitter simply to connect up the gas.

--
Kev

Justice? You get justice in the next world,
in this world you have the law...
William Gaddis

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Lewis wrote:
Is this correct?

Surely not!

Steve......

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Lewis wrote:

Just looked at gassaferegister.co.uk and it states this

It is against the law for anyone to do work on gas appliances in the
United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Guernsey unless they are Gas Safe
registered.

They are saying that 'paid' work is illegal. If you are DIYing, and are
competent, then you can do it yourself quite legally.
Being as they are the governing body for gas fitters, they do not want
to promote that, with some good reasoning behind their stance, as gas
explosions, and leaky flues can be very dangerous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2011 06:34, Steve Lewis wrote:

Just looked at gassaferegister.co.uk and it states this

It is against the law for anyone to do work on gas appliances in the
United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Guernsey unless they are Gas Safe
registered.

They are being economic with the truth... (as a trade body funded by
membership fees, that is in their interests).

For a person fitting gas appliances for reward, then there is a
requirement for them to be gas safe registered. However the only actual
legal requirement for someone doing gas work is that the operative is
"competent". (Note however there is not a legal definition of competent
in this circumstance).

The source legislation is he

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1...ulation/3/made

Pay attention to 3 (1) and (3). The "class of persons" bit refers to Gas
Safe and previously CORGI.

This all makes some sense if you think it through - a gas fitter may be
covered by registration belonging to his employer, and spend his days
fitting boilers etc. It would be daft to suggest he could not fit one at
home while not working for the employer.

See Ed's gas fitting FAQ for a fuller explanation.

http://www.makewrite.demon.co.uk/GasFitting.html

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Steve Lewis wrote:
Just looked at gassaferegister.co.uk and it states this

It is against the law for anyone to do work on gas appliances in the
United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Guernsey unless they are Gas Safe
registered.

Fairly typical of those sort of organisations. 'Work' could be assumed to
be paid for work. And it wouldn't do for them to spell out the actual law.

But it is perfectly legal for you to install a gas boiler in your own
residence.

--
*Dancing is a perpendicular expression of a horizontal desire *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
A.Lee wrote:
They are saying that 'paid' work is illegal. If you are DIYing, and are
competent, then you can do it yourself quite legally.
Being as they are the governing body for gas fitters, they do not want
to promote that, with some good reasoning behind their stance, as gas
explosions, and leaky flues can be very dangerous.

Most of which are caused by registered fitters or cowboy builders - not
DIY. Those who would attempt such a thing DIY wise in their own home would
take extra care, IMHO.

--
*Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Lewis" wrote in message
I have already agreed with a possible installer that I get the boiler.

I am waiting for him to come round and give me a price just to remove
the old one and replace it with a worcester.
I guess I will need the system power flushed as well. Isn't this a
condition of any guarantee these days?

why not put in a container of rad flush and run it for a the day prior to
him arriving then a simple flush will be enough.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve Lewis" wrote in message
Is he gas safe registered or whatever it is now called?

If not it is extremely illegal.

I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

Not actually correct.

You can still install a boiler .... just leave the gas connection to 'Gas
safe engineer' and he then connects and tests.
I did same in my place .... all it cost me was 200 cigarettes (I travel a
lot) for the guy to do connection, and issue safety certificate.

Lot cheaper than getting him to install boiler and all that goes with it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

Not actually correct.

You can still install a boiler .... just leave the gas connection to 'Gas
safe engineer' and he then connects and tests.

Wrong. Not against any law to connect the gas yourself. Provided you are
competent to do so.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

Not actually correct.

You can still install a boiler .... just leave the gas connection to
'Gas safe engineer' and he then connects and tests.

Wrong. Not against any law to connect the gas yourself. Provided you
are competent to do so.

When I replaced my gfs parents central heating I ran the gas pipe down to
the meter and got a plumber mate to do the final connection. Can you guess
which bit had a leak?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/10/2011 20:51, Stephen wrote:
wrote in message
In articlee73df451-3d27-4e7c-abb3-
,
says...

Is he gas safe registered or whatever it is now called?

If not it is extremely illegal.

A common misconception. It is only illegal if you charge for gas work
when you are not qualified. If you are doing gas work for yourself - it
is perfectly legal.

I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

See above. If you have the competence - then there isn't a problem. In
any case - you could install the boiler and all the plumbing - but then
get a qualified gas fitter simply to connect up the gas.

I've suiggested that to various gas engineers who also fit boilers etc over
the last few years and they will not touch a job where someone they don't
know has fitted the central heating system, tanks, and the boiler, leaving
just the gas connection too.....

Apparently its to do with who to blame if something does not work.....

and why waste time on a job for beer money when you can charge a few
grand for doing the whole lot...

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I've suiggested that to various gas engineers who also fit boilers etc
over the last few years and they will not touch a job where someone
they don't know has fitted the central heating system, tanks, and the
boiler, leaving just the gas connection too.....

Apparently its to do with who to blame if something does not work.....

Who would expect someone who merely connected the gas supply to be
responsible for the rest of the system? Unless paid a fee for
commissioning the whole thing. Which is an entirely different matter.

More likely due to supply and demand, a qualified fitter would rather have
the whole job than just a part of it. When work gets short, things will
likely change.

--
*I'm already visualizing the duct tape over your mouth

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Steve Lewis writes
Is he gas safe registered or whatever it is now called?

If not it is extremely illegal.

I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

Not as illegal as top posting

I fitted my own boiler

I have yet to be extraordinarily renditioned to guantanamo bay

Stewart wrote:
My son also managed to purchase a brand new combi boiler on eBay for 0 he managed to fit it himself.

Purchased?

Local shop gave me mine FOC

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Steve Lewis writes
Just looked at gassaferegister.co.uk and it states this

It is against the law for anyone to do work on gas appliances in the
United Kingdom, Isle of Man or Guernsey unless they are Gas Safe
registered.

No, you TPB

If you look at

http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/PDF...work%20on%20a%
20gas%20appliance.pdf

there are a lot of "shoulds" and confusing bending of terms

It says "You should not ..." and not "You are not allowed to ..."

"To do work" is associated with payment

They also call fitters "Engineers"

need I say more?

Steve....

Steve Lewis wrote:
Is this correct?

Surely not!

Steve......

Ret. wrote:
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Stephen wrote:
I've suiggested that to various gas engineers who also fit boilers etc
over the last few years and they will not touch a job where someone
they don't know has fitted the central heating system, tanks, and the
boiler, leaving just the gas connection too.....

Apparently its to do with who to blame if something does not work.....

Who would expect someone who merely connected the gas supply to be
responsible for the rest of the system? Unless paid a fee for
commissioning the whole thing.

Not only "the system" but all other gas appliances in the house

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Rick Hughes wrote:
I could install it myself but am not planning to as it is ilegal as
far as I am aware.

Not actually correct.

You can still install a boiler .... just leave the gas connection to
'Gas safe engineer' and he then connects and tests.

Wrong. Not against any law to connect the gas yourself. Provided you
are competent to do so.

When I replaced my gfs parents central heating I ran the gas pipe down to
the meter and got a plumber mate to do the final connection. Can you guess
which bit had a leak?

Of all the joints in my house, there was one done by british gas when
they installed a cooker while I was in germany

Guess which one was later found to be leaking

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
geoff wrote:
A common misconception. It is only illegal if you charge for gas work
when you are not qualified. If you are doing gas work for yourself - it
is perfectly legal.

Well, not strictly true - you have to be "competent"

It's a strange choice of word. Most wouldn't attempt *anything* unless
they considered themselves competent at doing it. In their own view.
Others might well have a different opinion of that competency. ;-)

--
*Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't*