Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default power flush and Combi heat exchanger replacement

i have had a long running saga with faulty combi boiler.

In brief I can get DHW heat exchanger replaced free under a service
contract I have. But engineer seems to think system needs a power
flush too as sludge in system which I will have to pay for.

If I have DHW replaced without having flush, and he is right about
sludge, can I reasonably expect combi to work ok for a year or two?

Trying to sell house, though given state of market cd be a while...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have just been through such an ordeal myself. My situation was even
worse as in my case the boiler stopped working (heat exchanger
blocked) and of the three guys called to do the job (power flusher,
Bosch engineer and insurance company engineer) each one said the other
guy(s) had to do their bit of the job first.

A couple of years ago the symptoms manifested themselves as the pump
broke down as a consequence of it having been chocked with dirt; at
the time the insurance people changed it but also mildly suggested to
have the system power-flushed. Had I followed their suggestion, I
would have avoided both entering into this nasty musical chair-like
situation and spending for the Bosch engineer who was not obviously
covered by my insurance policy.

Bear in mind that, as long as the boiler works, the power flushing can
be done better even if the boiler itself is disconnected by the system
during the flush, as it can heat water and thus allow chemicals to do
a more effective job. If the boiler breaks down as a consequence of
sludge... well... be prepared for the saga of 'the other guy first'...

Good luck

W.