Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default Temporary shower mixer question..

I realise this is a bit of a strange question, my S-i-l has a rental
property with a bath but no shower mixer, ie just two separate bath taps
and would like a shower but isn't allowed to change the taps.
Normally one of those rubber things would do but these are strange
shaped taps...

Now, what I was wondering...these taps have aerators that unscrew -
anyone seen anything that would screw into the taps that I could then
fabricate into some sort of adapter that I could screw a shower hose into?

Combi boiler so balanced H&C mains pressure water.

Lee
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/09/2011 21:54, Lee wrote:
I realise this is a bit of a strange question, my S-i-l has a rental
property with a bath but no shower mixer, ie just two separate bath taps
and would like a shower but isn't allowed to change the taps.
Normally one of those rubber things would do but these are strange
shaped taps...

Can't see why there would be a problem with changing the taps to one
with a built-in mixer valve: it would be a straight like-for-like swap
and the original taps could be replaced at the end of the tenancy with
no detriment at all.

My concern (which extends to your original plan too) would be that the
walls/bath etc are not properly sealed and set up for a shower, and that
there would be leakage - S-I-L would undeniably be responsible for the
damage.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 26/09/2011 07:54, Lobster wrote:

Can't see why there would be a problem with changing the taps to one
with a built-in mixer valve:

Nor can I, tbh, I suspect she's got hold of the wrong end of a stick
which has the landlord on the other end loudly saying, "I'm not paying
for it"...

My concern (which extends to your original plan too) would be that the
walls/bath etc are not properly sealed and set up for a shower, and that
there would be leakage - S-I-L would undeniably be responsible for the
damage.

Good point, though the walls are tiled and the bath appears to be sealed
to them, so unless there have been problems in the past it seems strange
not to have provided a shower.

Lee

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 25, 9:54*pm, Lee wrote:
I realise this is a bit of a strange question, my S-i-l has a rental
property with a bath but no shower mixer, ie just two separate bath taps
and would like a shower but isn't allowed to change the taps.
Normally one of those rubber things would do but these are strange
shaped taps...

Now, what I was wondering...these taps have aerators that unscrew -
anyone seen anything that would screw into the taps that I could then
fabricate into some sort of adapter that I could screw a shower hose into?

Combi boiler so balanced H&C mains pressure water.

Lee

Hozelock (garden hose people ) make a gadget for attaching hoses to
funny taps, works quite well. You could knocks ometing up with two of
these.
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hos...onnectors.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 11:33:26 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

Hozelock (garden hose people ) make a gadget for attaching hoses to
funny taps, works quite well. You could knocks ometing up with two of
these.
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hos...onnectors.html

I have the older metal version. It's quite amazing the variety of taps
it nearly, but not quite, fits right. Loads of joy as it sprays the
crotch, shoulders, face, customer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hos...to-tap/tap-con...

I have the older metal version. It's quite amazing the variety of taps
it nearly, but not quite, fits right. Loads of joy as it sprays the
crotch, shoulders, face, customer.

reads like a trendy body jet shower (although the "customer" is tricky
to interpret....)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Hozelock (garden hose people ) make a gadget for attaching hoses to
funny taps, works quite well. You could knocks ometing up with two of
these.
http://www.hozelock.com/watering/hos...onnectors.html

I have the older metal version. It's quite amazing the variety of taps
it nearly, but not quite, fits right. Loads of joy as it sprays the
crotch, shoulders, face, customer.

Sounds like an ordinary garden hose attachment from a pound shop would
do the job ...

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would change the taps to one with a shower outlet. Is it not a human
right to be able to take a shower?
It's a doddle and a mixer can be picked up very cheaply... Ultra do some
nice ones that are a good price.
At the end if the tenancy she can offer to leave them for the next tenant
or just pit the old one's back. I would charge about £75 for this plus
mixer at say £60 so that's a figure to have in mind.
It's better to beg for forgiveness that ask for permission
YouTube want to silicone the shower rail/bracket to the tiles rather than
plug'n'screw, that way you can remove it all without evidence.

--
What else are opposable thumbs for? Get to me at
masterfix{at}btinternet{dot}com
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

On 27/09/2011 18:31, Dean Heighington wrote:
I would change the taps to one with a shower outlet. Is it not a human
right to be able to take a shower?

That's pretty much what I said to her, but knowing what she's like it'll
take weeks for her to make a decision!

Lee

Tap/ Shower Mixer - Stuck on shower SteveC UK diy 4 October 8th 06 10:43 PM
Mixer Shower hkt7383 UK diy 3 July 5th 06 02:12 PM
Temporary adhesive question [email protected] Home Repair 1 February 28th 06 02:32 PM
Shower temporary fix question Rich Heimlich Home Repair 5 June 22nd 05 08:43 PM
temporary shower louis quasha Home Repair 7 August 23rd 04 04:34 PM