Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Tap/ Shower Mixer - Stuck on shower

Hi

I have a tap/shower mixer on our bath. Recently we turned off the water
to the house at the stop cock to solve an leak elsewhere in the house.
Since turning the water back on, (although it may just be
coincidence!), the mixer is stuck on shower mode.

The mixer is controlled by a 'collar' to which the shower hose
attaches, a 'ring' attached around this collar is usually depressed to
switch between shower and tap mode. Depressing the collar has no effect
and water will only now flow from the shower. I can't see an obvious
way to detach the collar to get to the workings of the tap.

Another thought is that if a tap was turned on when the water was off
then the lack of pressure may have caused the tap to default to shower
mode for some reason and can't not get back to tap mode.

Anyone any thoughts on how to resolve without replacing/ removing the
tap?

Cheers

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"SteveC" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

WD40 2 short squirts

then lightly tap with a wood mallet on opposite sides

if that doesn't work

try slightly harder taps

if that doesn't work

try a hammer

if that doesn't work

try a lump mallet

if that doesn't work

try a sledge hammer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thank you.

Where should the WD40 be applied to? Inside the collar/ at the side
etc?? What does the tap with the wooden mallet do?

WD40 2 short squirts

then lightly tap with a wood mallet on opposite sides

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"SteveC" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi

I have a tap/shower mixer on our bath. Recently we turned off the water
to the house at the stop cock to solve an leak elsewhere in the house.
Since turning the water back on, (although it may just be
coincidence!), the mixer is stuck on shower mode.

The mixer is controlled by a 'collar' to which the shower hose
attaches, a 'ring' attached around this collar is usually depressed to
switch between shower and tap mode. Depressing the collar has no effect
and water will only now flow from the shower. I can't see an obvious
way to detach the collar to get to the workings of the tap.

The opposite effect was encountered with my mixer (bath only-no shower);-

Examine the collar very closely; - you should see a tiny 'pin' going through
the collar and (just) visible both ends. Use a very thin rod to drift out
this pin. The collar will be found to cover a body (to which the hose
connects) havng a long slot through it - the pin traverses this slot.
Lifting up the collar causes the pin to lift a gubbins in the mixer chaber
diverting water to the shower outlet; depressing the collar causes the pin
to divert the water to the bath outlet. [Oh! did I mention that you hould
have the bath plug 'in' ... that's probably where you'll find the
Zebedee-like spring that tensions the
pin/collar arrangement.

The body may be removed by inserting a tommy-bar through the slot.

At the base of the body are O-ring arrangements that seal the water
orifices.
In my case these were chewed-up-to-buggery* (*a techical term) by lime-scale
residue accumulating on the tap's water port orifices. A liberal application
of vinegar, toothbrush and new O-rings cured the tendency to stick. {The
problem re-appeared at intervals and I've now incorporated a
ater-softener - tough on lime-scale; tough on the causes of lime-scale ...
}

Until I went down this route - I'd never noticed the pin! Once I've found it
.... the thing stared at / taunted me every time I had a bath!

--

Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"SteveC" wrote in message
ups.com...
WD40 2 short squirts

then lightly tap with a wood mallet on opposite sides

Thank you.

Where should the WD40 be applied to? Inside the collar/ at the side
etc?? What does the tap with the wooden mallet do?

Hi SteveC
I was being slightly facetious (esp later in my response), but I was looking
to free any metal-metal binding that might be preventing the mechanism
working. I would probably spray inside the collar and tap (only lightly
though) the collar with the mallet to free up if it was binding.

However, I suspect that Brian's response is just as likely to be fruitful.