Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solar panels and feed-in tariff.

Seems like a good thing. I was at a mate's house who'd just had a load of
solar panels installed. He reckons he'll get an 11% return on his
investment. I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Apart from tying ones money up and the aesthetics has anyone here got
experience of this scheme good or bad?

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 16:20:53 +0100, "mark"
wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

No it isn't. When you register your installation, most
electricity suppliers ask if the meter runs backwards. It is then
up to them what to do. Some act, some don't.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

No it isn't. When you register your installation, most
electricity suppliers ask if the meter runs backwards.

How would any normal householder have the faintest idea if the construction
of their meter allowed it to run backwards?

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

No it isn't. When you register your installation, most
electricity suppliers ask if the meter runs backwards.

How would any normal householder have the faintest idea if the construction
of their meter allowed it to run backwards?

Simple visual inspection on a sunny day?

Respond "Don't know" and transfer responsibility.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim.... wrote:

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
. ..

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

No it isn't. When you register your installation, most
electricity suppliers ask if the meter runs backwards.

How would any normal householder have the faintest idea if the
construction
of their meter allowed it to run backwards?

Simple visual inspection on a sunny day?

The question is being asked before anything is installed on the roof!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

No it isn't. When you register your installation, most
electricity suppliers ask if the meter runs backwards.

How would any normal householder have the faintest idea if the construction
of their meter allowed it to run backwards?

tim

If it has a disk, It will run backwards. Simples.
In essence it is just an induction motor. Two coils. Reverse the
current in either of them, it goes backwards.
If it is electronic, it won't run backwards.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 9:58*am, harry wrote:

If it has a disk, It will run backwards.

AIUI, no new disk meter for the last twenty years or so has run
backwards. There is a simple ratchet mechanism to stop Scousers
applying dodgy power factors to fool the meter.

AIUI, meters older than this have now been circulated out of service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

Well you're clearly a top barrister and can make bold statements based on
very little information.

His meter is like a mechanical mileometer in a car and has a horizontal disc
about 60-70mm in diameter. I saw it spinning backwards.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

His meter is like a mechanical mileometer in a car and has a horizontal disc
about 60-70mm in diameter. I saw it spinning backwards.

How far did it turn? Mine will manage a fraction of a revolution,
but then the ratchet catches it.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:

His meter is like a mechanical mileometer in a car and has a horizontal
disc
about 60-70mm in diameter. I saw it spinning backwards.

How far did it turn? Mine will manage a fraction of a revolution,
but then the ratchet catches it.

It turned several revolutions in the short time I watched it. Me being
mildly cynical and to check that it wasn't going in the 'supposed to'
direction got him to flick the kettle on and sure enough it went in the
other direction albeit slower. The solar power would easily cope with a
kettle but with other appliances on....

There is something I didn't quite understand. I think this is it: With old
meters they can't tell how much solar electric being used and how much is
being exported so it is split 50:50. You get paid for all units generated
but and extra 3.5p on the exported.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
"Chris J wrote in message
news
mark wrote:

[...]

Yes that is correct but also even normal standard modern digital meters
will not display the exported power so the assumption of 50% export
continues to be applied.

From what i have read about these meters is that internally they DO
measure exported power but have to be interrogated electronically (via
the two led windows) to get at this information.
Meter readers are not provided with the equipment to read them
electronically.

The simple digital meters do however, have an indication that power has
been exported.

The display alternates between the import reading and "rEd" which stands
for 'reverse energy detected' and was originally there to catch people
who try and run their meters backwards to defraud the leccy co.

Also when power is being exported, the red light which usually indicates
1 Wh of consumption per flash, lights continuously.

It will be interesting to see the reaction of the next human meter
reader who calls, as my meter now indicates "rEd"

As my supply company is different from my solar export company, I cannot
imagine that they will have talked to one another about me having a PV
system.

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

Well you're clearly a top barrister and can make bold statements based on
very little information.

You don't need to be a barrister. In fact not being one usually makes
one more qualified to make such a statement.

His meter is like a mechanical mileometer in a car and has a horizontal disc
about 60-70mm in diameter. I saw it spinning backwards.

Still illegal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

His meter is like a mechanical mileometer in a car and has a horizontal disc
about 60-70mm in diameter. I saw it spinning backwards.

Still illegal.

In contravention of which regulation?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote:
Still illegal.

Illegal? or contrary to his supply contract?, which is a civil breach,
not a criminal breach.

JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 8, 5:58*pm, jgharston wrote:
The Other Mike wrote:
Still illegal.

Illegal? or contrary to his supply contract?, which is a civil breach,
not a criminal breach.

JGH

I don't know why you rave on. When he applied for permission to
connect his array he has to notify the power company ofhismeter type.
They just haven't got round to dealing with the matter. They will.

Someone has already pointed this out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Which, while physically possible with some meters, is not permitted
under the FIT scheme.

His installation IS illegal.

Well you're clearly a top barrister and can make bold statements based on
very little information.

You don't need to be a barrister. In fact not being one usually makes
one more qualified to make such a statement.

His meter is like a mechanical mileometer in a car and has a horizontal disc
about 60-70mm in diameter. I saw it spinning backwards.

Still illegal.

This is a common occurance. The grid owner will deal with it in due
course.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Seems like a good thing. I was at a mate's house who'd just had a load of
solar panels installed. He reckons he'll get an 11% return on his
investment. I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Apart from tying ones money up and the aesthetics has anyone here got
experience of this scheme good or bad?

mark

Tell him to look here

http://notrickszone.com/2011/07/04/w...alf-years-old/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mark wrote:
Seems like a good thing. I was at a mate's house who'd just had a load
of solar panels installed. He reckons he'll get an 11% return on his
investment. I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric
meter spinning backwards.

Apart from tying ones money up and the aesthetics has anyone here got
experience of this scheme good or bad?

mark

Tell him to look here

http://notrickszone.com/2011/07/04/w...alf-years-old/

Well you can't argue that it isn't green.

mark

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 4:20 pm, "mark" wrote:
Seems like a good thing. I was at a mate's house who'd just had a load of
solar panels installed. He reckons he'll get an 11% return on his
investment. I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Apart from tying ones money up and the aesthetics has anyone here got
experience of this scheme good or bad?

mark

his name harry?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 7, 4:20*pm, "mark" wrote:
Seems like a good thing. *I was at a mate's house who'd just had a load of
solar panels installed. *He reckons he'll get an 11% return on his
investment. *I was quite impressed watching the disc of his electric meter
spinning backwards.

Apart from tying ones money up and the aesthetics has anyone here got
experience of this scheme good or bad?

mark

Do a search on this group. The topic has been covered ad-nauseum.
There are at least four regular users here have them including myself.

As to his meter. they will be along jolly quick and put in a modern
electronic one that won't run backwards.