Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Gas feed in tariff?

My sister is struggling to escape from an incautious agreement to have a
vacuum tube thermal collector fitted to her roof.

The sales pitch appears to be that the energy collected is monitored and
the information used to claim a feed in tariff from the gas supplier!

Can someone kindly explain the operation?

As a single elderly person, living alone and not given to using much
hot water, I don't see much of the energy collected in summer being
used.

regards
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

My sister is struggling to escape from an incautious agreement to have a
vacuum tube thermal collector fitted to her roof.
The sales pitch appears to be that the energy collected is monitored and
the information used to claim a feed in tariff from the gas supplier!

Can someone kindly explain the operation?

At first I wondered if they considered the amount of solar thermal you
trapped as negating an equivalent amount of gas consumed and credited
you at the FIT, but it would seem more likely to be the RHI (renewable
heat incentive) instead ...

"Although solar thermal microgeneration is not included in the FIT, the
consultation period for the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) has begun.
Kicking off in April 2011, this scheme will guaranteed payment to
homeowners who install solar hot water"

http://www.solaruk.net/solarpv/renew...-incentive.asp

Sounds like it's been delayed until June 2011

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Right. That's the stuff.

She was too embarrassed to tell me the installation cost but something
like 8K. Assuming the current govt. confirms the scheme and agrees a 6%
rate of return, she will be long buried before the capital is recovered.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/10/2010 22:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
My sister is struggling to escape from an incautious agreement to have a
vacuum tube thermal collector fitted to her roof.

The sales pitch appears to be that the energy collected is monitored and
the information used to claim a feed in tariff from the gas supplier!

Can someone kindly explain the operation?

As a single elderly person, living alone and not given to using much hot
water, I don't see much of the energy collected in summer being used.

regards

She should take immediate legal advice and cancel it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , Andy Burns
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

Suppose she is a pensioner and she wants some income from her savings..

an annuity is not going to give the same returns as she can get from
improved heating.
So she gets more comfort and an income.
It appears that the more heat you use the more comfortable you will be and
the more they pay you.
I am waiting to see if air sourced heat pumps actually get approval and plan
on replacing my boiler with them.
I suppose a ground source one would be better but I would require a bore
hole.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Vortex7" wrote in message
On 27/10/2010 22:14, Tim Lamb wrote:
My sister is struggling to escape from an incautious agreement to have a
vacuum tube thermal collector fitted to her roof.

The sales pitch appears to be that the energy collected is monitored and
the information used to claim a feed in tariff from the gas supplier!

Can someone kindly explain the operation?

As a single elderly person, living alone and not given to using much hot
water, I don't see much of the energy collected in summer being used.

regards

She should take immediate legal advice and cancel it.

I think they have misrepresented it as the scheme doesn't yet exist and the
start date is not actually known.
Systems installed before the start date may be excluded as they were with
fits.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 28 Oct 2010 12:48:04 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Systems installed before the start date may be excluded as they were
with fits.

Well currently (and it could change...) systems completed after 15th
July 2009 are
eligible.

http://www.energysavingtrust.org.uk/...ergy/Sell-your
-own-energy/Renewable-Heat-Incentive

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:14:57 +0100 someone who may be Tim Lamb
wrote this:-

The sales pitch appears to be that the energy collected is monitored and
the information used to claim a feed in tariff from the gas supplier!

At the moment the only scheme I know of is that by Good Energy,
which takes money from gas customers and uses it to support solar
panels. I understand it is a trial for the renewable Heat Incentive.
http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/how-to-go-100-green/generate-your-own/hotrocs

As others have said, the Renewable Heat Incentive survived the
budget and should come in later. That would not involve the gas
supplier.

A solar panel has been a long term financial investment in the past.
Just like a new kitchen or audio system there are other reasons for
installing one, in the case of solar panels reducing one's carbon
emissions. With the incentives installing a solar panel has been
made a financial investment too, the return is better than banks are
offering at the moment.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000...#pt3-pb3-l1g54
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , David Hansen
writes
wrote this:-

The sales pitch appears to be that the energy collected is monitored and
the information used to claim a feed in tariff from the gas supplier!

At the moment the only scheme I know of is that by Good Energy,
which takes money from gas customers and uses it to support solar
panels. I understand it is a trial for the renewable Heat Incentive.
http://www.goodenergy.co.uk/how-to-go-100-green/generate-your-own/hotrocs

I see there is a requirement to take gas or electricity from them and
the payment is a bi-annual refund.

As others have said, the Renewable Heat Incentive survived the
budget and should come in later. That would not involve the gas
supplier.

Interesting that it appears to include GSHP installations.

A solar panel has been a long term financial investment in the past.
Just like a new kitchen or audio system there are other reasons for
installing one, in the case of solar panels reducing one's carbon
emissions. With the incentives installing a solar panel has been
made a financial investment too, the return is better than banks are
offering at the moment.

Yes. I'm not against the principle, just this particular proposal. A
single pensioner with cats is going to have a tankful of very hot water
most of the summer.

A senior salesman called this afternoon and attempted to divert her to a
PV system. Fortunately she just kept saying she had changed her mind and
he left.

I will follow up with an E-mail within the 7 day cancellation period.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message

I will follow up with an E-mail within the 7 day cancellation period.

I recommend a recorded delivery letter, there is no proof an email got
there.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns writes:
Tim Lamb wrote:

[...]

I would put the probability of any of these scemes lasting long
enough to repay the investment as quite low. Whilst I might do
something along these lines because the technical aspects interest
me, I wouldn't dream of doing it as an investment.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Night Storage - E10 Tariff John UK diy 7 October 30th 09 10:49 AM
gas feed to boiler [email protected] UK diy 3 October 22nd 06 11:37 AM
Please don't feed the trolls Doug Miller Woodworking 3 October 15th 06 11:35 PM
electric under-tile heating - off-peak tariff D RCD and thermostat problems Fred UK diy 2 July 4th 06 12:22 PM
Tariff 19? Economy 7 meter change Mindwipe UK diy 9 November 8th 03 05:24 PM