Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mirror Adhesive

I have ordered a rather tall mirror which I need to fix to a dot-dab wall
(painted).
I am opting for mirror adhesive - any tips?The weight will be mainly taken
by a tiled splashback.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:
I have ordered a rather tall mirror which I need to fix to a dot-dab
wall (painted).
I am opting for mirror adhesive - any tips?The weight will be mainly
taken by a tiled splashback.

yep. get the recommended mirror adhesive from a glaziers.

I put one up, made a cup of coffee, and my wife put her head round the
door 'I want it much lower' (she is shorter than me.)

Nearly bust the mirror getting it off. after only ten minutes. If it had
been fully dry, no way.

Don't use double sided sticky pads though. just about able to hold a
shaving mirror on tiles, but that's it..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBoy wrote:
I have ordered a rather tall mirror which I need to fix to a dot-dab
wall (painted).
I am opting for mirror adhesive - any tips?The weight will be mainly
taken by a tiled splashback.

yep. get the recommended mirror adhesive from a glaziers.

Absolutely, I've often put them up, with no problems at all; including a
couple of big ones about 5' x 3'. I'm under no illusions that they will
ever come off the wall except in small pieces.

Vital to use proper mirror adhesive and to follow the manufacturer's
instructions to the letter. There are different types; one is
solovent-based impact adhesive which you spread thinly on both surfaces,
allow to dry and then press together; the other sort is more 'bulky' and
you apply it from a cartridge gun in thick beads about 6" apart. You
need to maintain the thickness of the bead for it to do its job; I
usually attach a few spacers to the back of the mirror so it can't be
pressed too closely against the wall; this also allows air behind to
ensure the adhesive 'goes off'.

Another good tip for a big mirror is to screw a temporary batten to the
wall to take the weight of the mirror while it sets.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2011-07-07, Ericp wrote:

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 23:27:21 +0100, "DerbyBoy" No-one
wrote:

I have ordered a rather tall mirror which I need to fix to a dot-dab wall
(painted).
I am opting for mirror adhesive - any tips?The weight will be mainly taken
by a tiled splashback.

Don't bother unless you want to hear an almighty crash one night.

Nonsense.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 42nd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3177
* * * * * * * *Sing, for song drives away the wolves.

The mirror in my bathroom is attached by a series of metal clips with
plastic inserts round the mirror.
These are screwed to the wall, fit the mirror then slide the clips
across.
They were fitted when I moved in so can't help with a source.
It is easy to remove the clips when you need to redecorate.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I have ordered a rather tall mirror which I need to fix to a dot-dab wall
(painted).
I am opting for mirror adhesive - any tips?The weight will be mainly taken
by a tiled splashback.

Don't bother unless you want to hear an almighty crash one night.

Nonsense.

--
Today is Pungenday, the 42nd day of Confusion in the YOLD 3177
Sing, for song drives away the wolves.

The mirror in my bathroom is attached by a series of metal clips with
plastic inserts round the mirror.
These are screwed to the wall, fit the mirror then slide the clips
across.
They were fitted when I moved in so can't help with a source.
It is easy to remove the clips when you need to redecorate.

Like these?
http://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-mi...questid=959139