Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sharpen cutter blocks on shaver

Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes all
morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:06:11 +0100, john brook wrote:

Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes all
morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount.

Possibly toothpaste - but not the gel type, of course.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"PeterC" wrote in message
On Thu, 30 Jun 2011 13:06:11 +0100, john brook wrote:

Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes
all
morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount.

Possibly toothpaste - but not the gel type, of course.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
whilst religions hold sway

Not sure about Bruan but you can buy a little kit for the philips triple
rotary try ebay and see whats on offer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes all
morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount.

I had some success when I used this type of shaver by putting a small
amount of jewellers rouge in the head and running it for a few
seconds.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 30, 1:06*pm, "john brook" wrote:
Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes all
morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. *Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount..

I would say it's the foil that's lost its edge.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 8:06:11 AM UTC-4, john brook wrote:
Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes all
morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount.

I have found a way to do this. You take the cutter block out and glide it over a stone you would use to sharpen a knife. It does work but not for weeks not months. I also use wd 40 as lubricant. Let me know if you are interested.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 1:06:11 PM UTC+1, john brook wrote:
Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes all
morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate amount.

This works for me. first clean the block with liquid soap and hot water and dry it.
Put (say|) half a teaspoon of "T CUT" in the palm of your hand.
hold the shaver and lightly press it into your hand and switch on, maybe for 60 secs.
You will note that the "T CUT" which is a sandy colour, will turn grey - that is metal removed in the sharpening process. Now hold the shaver into a mug of hot liquid soap and water to clean it up.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 27 Feb 2015 15:25:52 -0800, Purwiz wrote:

On Thursday, June 30, 2011 at 1:06:11 PM UTC+1, john brook wrote:
Braun electric shavers work fine for a while, then after that; it takes
all morning to finish a shave.

Would anyone know if there is a method that works to sharpen the cutter
blocks. Since to buy new ones cost a seemingly disproportionate
amount.

This works for me. first clean the block with liquid soap and hot water
and dry it.
Put (say|) half a teaspoon of "T CUT" in the palm of your hand.
hold the shaver and lightly press it into your hand and switch on, maybe
for 60 secs.
You will note that the "T CUT" which is a sandy colour, will turn grey -
that is metal removed in the sharpening process. Now hold the shaver
into a mug of hot liquid soap and water to clean it up.

I had Brauns for many years and got really fed up with replacing cutter
blocks at exorbitant cost. So I went back to a Philips rotary (as I used
decades ago). It took a couple of weeks to get me (and my face) used to
it, but it's absolutely fine.

I've never had to replace screens or cutters, but I do sharpen the
cutters with a purpose made sharpener every 3 months.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I've never had to replace screens or cutters, but I do sharpen the
cutters with a purpose made sharpener every 3 months.

I rather prefer rotary head shavers - but the cost of replacement heads
tends to be high. Rather like a new battery for a cordless tool.

How do you sharpen them?

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 28 Feb 2015 13:18:10 +0000, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I've never had to replace screens or cutters, but I do sharpen the
cutters with a purpose made sharpener every 3 months.

I rather prefer rotary head shavers - but the cost of replacement heads
tends to be high. Rather like a new battery for a cordless tool.

How do you sharpen them?

Google 'Vollco'. I believe I had to get them from Canada, but it was some
years ago (same shaver and same sharpener since then!)

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
I've never had to replace screens or cutters, but I do sharpen the
cutters with a purpose made sharpener every 3 months.

I rather prefer rotary head shavers - but the cost of replacement heads
tends to be high. Rather like a new battery for a cordless tool.

How do you sharpen them?

Followup: buy directly from Vollco and it's about $25 including shipping.

Less than one set of cutters.

wish to copy them they can pay me £30a message.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

thanks, can i use toothpaste instead ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

can i use toothpaste instead of "T CUT" ?

Can you sharpen as good as this guy? [email protected] Woodworking 2 August 23rd 10 02:48 PM
sharpen a hole saw Jordan Metalworking 8 November 23rd 09 02:16 PM
Clamping V blocks onto 2-3-4 blocks Louis Ohland Metalworking 16 February 13th 08 08:22 PM
How do ya sharpen a radiused cutter? [email protected] Metalworking 4 July 29th 05 05:03 PM
How do you sharpen a drawknife? GBsCards Woodworking 5 January 27th 04 02:58 PM