Default How do ya sharpen a radiused cutter?

I have to put a 3/4 convex radius on the side of a side milling
cutter. The tangent to side of cuuer is .250 from top. I also need to
sharpen a convex 7/32 on top of another. We have a K. O. Lee radius
dresser and I theoretically know how to get these radiuses on the
grinding wheels.

I have somehow worked in 12 machine shops and never even seen one of
these being used. I'd thought I'd ask here before spending alot of
time learning the hard way. I'm having way too much of that kind of
learning lately.
Ken

Wayne Cook

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 12:52:01 -0700, Grant Erwin

I have to put a 3/4 convex radius on the side of a side milling
cutter. The tangent to side of cuuer is .250 from top. I also need to
sharpen a convex 7/32 on top of another. We have a K. O. Lee radius
dresser and I theoretically know how to get these radiuses on the
grinding wheels.

I have somehow worked in 12 machine shops and never even seen one of
these being used. I'd thought I'd ask here before spending alot of
time learning the hard way. I'm having way too much of that kind of
learning lately.

\
You do NOT do this by dressing a grinding wheel, you do it by using a radius
attachment on a tool & cutter grinder. Those are very spendy accessories.
Suggest you farm it out to a pro.

Another way is with a profile grinder. I happen to have one in
storage if any one is interested. I'll never have room to set it up in
my shop.

steamer

--Sounds like time to build a Quorn! :-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Just another fart in
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : the Elevator of Life...

Thread Boxes Trevor Woodworking 4 July 20th 05 06:13 AM
Quad bead cutter for shaper (or router)? Doug Miller Woodworking 5 April 12th 05 08:23 PM
Grizzly Moulding Head Cutter, Mini-review Mark & Juanita Woodworking 1 February 20th 05 09:33 AM
Cutting floor tiles: Electric or Hand Operated cutter? Serial Bodger UK diy 12 August 17th 03 02:36 PM