Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garage/workshop CU arrangements

Hoping to start on wiring up my garage/workshop fairly soon, and just
want to check on my CU etc.

This outbuilding (detached but next to the house) already has power, in
the form of a cable from a dedicated 30A MCB in the house's split-load
CU, in which all but the lighting circuits are protected by a 30mA trip
RCD. Earthing is TN-S. Cable runs through the house and connects to
SWA inside a metal box in the kitchen; SWA then runs underground to the
outbuilding where it connects (via another metal box) to a CU out there.

The outbuilding CU is pretty old; it has two circuits with cartridge
fuses (30A and 5A) for power and lighting respectively. Power is
currently provided to one double socket only, used for our 'overflow'
fridge and freezer.

I'm intending to extend the single radial circuit into a ring, which
will have 5 or 6 double sockets to power usual workshop tools and
chargers. Nothing particularly heavy duty; just standard drills,
grinders, saws etc.

So, finally the question: is my current outbuilding CU up to the task,
and/or is their anything to be gained (safety wise) by upgrading it?
I'm not anticipating lots of nuisance trips so I don't mind having to
reset the house RCD on rare occasions if need be. Also, I particularly
don't want any risk of nuisance trips of any upgraded garage CU causing
the garage freezer to thaw out without me being aware of it!

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 3:34*pm, Lobster wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you need the standard arrangement:
slate fuseboard mounted on wood plinth
suitable sizes of tinned copper wire as fuses
both poles fused of course, yo cant rely on which supply wire's live
knife switches you can make with workshop tools
Conductors of copper or iron
cable insulation not necessary if you mount the cables on standoffs
overhead
sockets: anything you like really, ES lampholders are as good as any
Don't forget some Nernst lighting, or perhaps the new fangled carbon
filament lamps.

NT, 1880
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
[...]

It sounds legal to me:-)

I probably would swap the fuse box for a simple CU such as
http://www.screwfix.com/p/volex-5-wa...mer-unit/54580

Unless you want to move the garage supply to the non RCD side of your house
CU and use RCBOs in the garage CU with the freezer on a MCB.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 12, 6:29*pm, Owain wrote:
On Jun 12, 3:50*pm, Tabby *wrote:

Sounds like you need the standard arrangement:
slate fuseboard mounted on wood plinth
suitable sizes of tinned copper wire as fuses
both poles fused of course, yo cant rely on which supply wire's live
knife switches you can make with workshop tools
Conductors of copper or iron
cable insulation not necessary if you mount the cables on standoffs
overhead
sockets: anything you like really, ES lampholders are as good as any
Don't forget some Nernst lighting, or perhaps the new fangled carbon
filament lamps.

You back on the smooth sippin' laudanum again, NT?

Owain

hehe
Are you saying the only sensible choice is Moore's tubes?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_McFarlan_Moore

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tabby wrote:

On Jun 13, 1:25 pm, Owain wrote:
On Jun 13, 1:19 pm, Tabby wrote:

Are you saying the only sensible choice is Moore's tubes?

I like Moore's tubes and somewhere have the instructions for them ...

Owain

What really struck me about them is that one lamp can be a couple of
hundred feet long. Good for efficiency, but scarily impractical.

NT

For some reason, doing a Google Image search on "Moore's tube" with
safesearch off is a really bad idea (glad I'm working from home today!)

I really can't figure out why!

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/06/2011 19:32, ARWadsworth wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks Adam!

I probably would swap the fuse box for a simple CU such as
http://www.screwfix.com/p/volex-5-wa...mer-unit/54580

Sounds like a plan. So if I maintain the house CU as it is would I just
fit standard MCBs in the garage CU? Would the house RCD still trip in
preference to them?

Unless you want to move the garage supply to the non RCD side of your house
CU and use RCBOs in the garage CU with the freezer on a MCB.

That would be a really good idea actually; unfortunately the non-RCD
side's already full though, and wouldn't be easily sorted. A new
busbar, cut differently, would sort it; however it's quite an old CU and
I don't rate my chances of getting hold of one!

Thanks
David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes, just standard MCBs and no RCD in the garage (you will be using the
house RCD). Of course what trips depends upon the type of fault! You would
be in the same position as before but with a cheap CU not an old fusebox.

Unless you want to move the garage supply to the non RCD side of
your house CU and use RCBOs in the garage CU with the freezer on a
MCB.

That would be a really good idea actually; unfortunately the non-RCD
side's already full though, and wouldn't be easily sorted. A new
busbar, cut differently, would sort it; however it's quite an old CU
and I don't rate my chances of getting hold of one!

Whats the CU?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 14 Jun 2011 12:05:26 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Whats the CU?

It's the thing the wires come into and go out of again.

HTH

HAND etc etc

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Whats the CU?

It's the thing the wires come into and go out of again.

HTH

vbg

Have you been watching Airplane:-) - re hospital gag?

--
Adam

Garage or workshop? Morris Dovey Woodworking 14 September 30th 09 09:56 PM
Heating the Workshop (garage) lucky4fingers Woodworking 38 January 30th 07 12:48 PM
Garage Package / Kit for Workshop komobu Home Repair 2 December 25th 06 09:50 PM
Garage / workshop tzd3sw UK diy 2 September 18th 03 05:46 PM
Garage / workshop inner walls Kris UK diy 6 July 30th 03 10:41 PM