Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Number of bedrooms with ensuites

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than
the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new toilets.
Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 00:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than
the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new toilets.
Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

I reckon it needs one bath/shower, one shower, three toilets in that
size house. Achievable with one ensuite, one bathroom, one downstairs bog.

But that's needs, rather than wants.

Having more will probably make the house more saleable, provided the
size of the bedrooms doesn't suffer.

Also depends on how many people will actually be there permanently, and
if lodgers or house sharing will ever come into it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 00:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than
the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new toilets.
Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can be
useful though.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@" "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 03/06/2011 00:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom
than the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new
toilets. Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can be
useful though.

There is already a second WC (downstairs) from the extension 24 years ago.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd
say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate
loo ...

But what do I know?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clive George wrote:
On 03/06/2011 00:27, ARWadsworth wrote:
If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom
than the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new
toilets. Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

I reckon it needs one bath/shower, one shower, three toilets in that
size house. Achievable with one ensuite, one bathroom, one downstairs
bog.
But that's needs, rather than wants.

My Dad is bored. It is 5 years since he retired. He wants to build another
extension.

Having more will probably make the house more saleable, provided the
size of the bedrooms doesn't suffer.

One bedroom will have to be made smaller to allow access to the new
bedrooms. There will always have to be a compromise between bedroom size and
ensuite size.

Also depends on how many people will actually be there permanently,
and if lodgers or house sharing will ever come into it.

It will be two people living there, my parents.

My Dad wants a double story extension of roughly 6m by 10m.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd
say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate
loo ...

But what do I know?

Enough:-)

I asked for opinions. You are on my Dad's side.

Your suggestion is what he would end up with. Although he is also
considering making the downstairs WC a shower room.

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there until they
are too old to look after the place and property prices have risen and then
sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd
say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate
loo ...

IWHT ...

Home cinema with bar at the back

employ a busty young tart to come round selling ice creams during the
adverts

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

An ensuite what? "ensuite" is an adjective meaning "within room".
It's the new dangling apostrophe.

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than
the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new
toilets. Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

2 separate bathrooms and no ensuites - waste of space and inflexible unless
it's all bedrooms.

Don't suppose I've won a ratbab for saying that ;-|

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 01:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
Andy wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd
say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate
loo ...

But what do I know?

Enough:-)

I asked for opinions. You are on my Dad's side.

Your suggestion is what he would end up with. Although he is also
considering making the downstairs WC a shower room.

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there until they
are too old to look after the place and property prices have risen and then
sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.

Trying to outguess future buyers is fraught with problems. I invariably
rebuild the kitchen when I move in to a new place, usually reconstruct
the bathroom and I would find a walk-in wardrobe much more useful than
an en-suite bathroom.

Unless he has a particular yen for an en-suite bathroom himself, why not
simply build the extension with extra storage areas that could easily be
converted to bathrooms or WCs, if future buyers want them?

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom
than the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new
toilets. Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

You are of course right(er). The trend is clear. I lost track of the
number of former colleagues who went on about their new en suites,
extensions to provide 2nd b/rs etc You could also point him at estate
agents: eg http://www.struttandparker.com/html/syndart_110511.php

"The way people live in their homes has changed dramatically over the
past 10-20 years as people's tastes in housing have changed.
Free-flowing rooms, en-suite 'his and her' bathrooms and increasingly
impressive technology are some of the new top list requirements. "

"Luxury bathrooms are now as equally high a requirement to bedrooms.
Most buyers expect en-suites particularly with the larger rooms in a
house. Old fashioned freestanding baths have been replaced with clean
lines and stylish wet rooms. Fiddes notes that 'his and her' basins and
even bathrooms are also becoming ever more popular. It is now not that
unusual for bedrooms to be transformed into large spacious bathrooms to
offer a more balanced level of accommodation. "

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin wrote:

Fiddes notes that 'his and her' basins and
even bathrooms are also becoming ever more popular.

Two en-suites for the master bedroom?

Let me guess ... "his" is a crapper and a shower with plasma TV ...
"hers" is a bath with shower over, a crapper, a basin, a bidet, a sofa
and a coffee table ...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 12:46*am, Clive George wrote:
On 03/06/2011 00:27, ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than
the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new toilets.
Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

I reckon it needs one bath/shower, one shower, three toilets in that
size house. Achievable with one ensuite, one bathroom, one downstairs bog..

But that's needs, rather than wants.

Having more will probably make the house more saleable, provided the
size of the bedrooms doesn't suffer.

Exactly. I know of someone who put an en-suite in every room upstairs
in an ordinary house, and the result
is a rats nest of tiny rooms and doors every where. Looks ridiculous.
Even most new detached houses, say, 4 bed with integral garage, have
pretty small bedrooms to fit in
the en-suites, and you have all these bathrooms almost next to each
other. Its ridiculous. However, it may be
what people want.
Of course, a large spacious house is an entirely different matter.
What comes to mind is those american houses in movies / tv (most
actually sets built for filming !) that
seem to have a decent sized bathroom for every bedroom (complete with
1930s square tiles and one of
those hoop shower curtain things over the bath). This is so the kids
can lead an existance separate from the
parents, who are always somewhere else in the vast house, where their
mates climb in though the window and
have pizza delivered that way as well.
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can be
useful though.

Colin Bignell

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in bed.
Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question of a
fashion statement over common sense!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Robin wrote:

Fiddes notes that 'his and her' basins and
even bathrooms are also becoming ever more popular.

Two en-suites for the master bedroom?

Let me guess ... "his" is a crapper and a shower with plasma TV ...

You forgot the paper/coughmagazine rack ..

"hers" is a bath with shower over, a crapper, a basin, a bidet, a sofa
and a coffee table ...

and shelves to support the weight of 4000 different products. Why they
can't do with soap and a toothbrush & paste escapes me.

--
Paul - xxx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Let me guess ... "his" is a crapper and a shower

.....if not one of those squat-toilet-with-shower-over jobbies to allow
her room for the drinks cabinet
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy Cap
writes
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can
be useful though.
Colin Bignell

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in bed.
Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question of a
fashion statement over common sense!

+1

Wives appear extremely sensitive to toilet smells!

We have a separate main bathroom with walk in shower which visiting
children and I use. Master bedroom has en-suite as does downstairs guest
room. There is also a toilet in the utility area for farmers with grubby
hands.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd
say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate
loo ...

But what do I know?

Enough:-)

I asked for opinions. You are on my Dad's side.

Your suggestion is what he would end up with. Although he is also
considering making the downstairs WC a shower room.

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there until they
are too old to look after the place and property prices have risen and then
sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.

You can *overdevelop*. Will a 5 bed house at his location be out of
place when he comes to sell?

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 11:33*am, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , ARWadsworth
writes

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Discussing the subject of house extensions recently with the remaining
local estate agent, he said 4 decent size bedrooms was a much easier
layout to sell than 5 smaller ones, few buyers actually want or need 5
bedrooms. Of course guessing what's going to be the fashionable layout
in 10-20 years is a bit tricky.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 10:43, Andy Cap wrote:
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can be
useful though.

Colin Bignell

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in bed.
Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question of a
fashion statement over common sense!

It does strike me as being a bit like living in an hotel room.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 00:27:20 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom than
the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new toilets.
Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

If you are doing it purely for resale value then ask an Estate Agent.

Otherwise modify the house to suit the occupants needs.

Personally I don't see the need for ensuite bathrooms vs normal
bathrooms. I only have an ensuite in the main bedroom 'cos there was
not enough room for a separate one.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 3, 4:08*am, jgharston wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:
If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider the
minimum?

An ensuite what? "ensuite" is an adjective meaning "within room".
It's the new dangling apostrophe.

"ensuite" is also a noun meaning a bath or shower room reachable
through a bedroom. (Usually intended for the exclusive use of the
occupants of that bedroom.)

Language changes: live with it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 01:10:20 +0100, "ARWadsworth"
wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

Assuming it's to be extended for maximum future saleability/value I'd
say at last two full en-suites, one family bathroom, and one separate
loo ...

But what do I know?

Enough:-)

I asked for opinions. You are on my Dad's side.

Your suggestion is what he would end up with. Although he is also
considering making the downstairs WC a shower room.

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there until they
are too old to look after the place and property prices have risen and then
sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.

Meantime, I'm sitting here thinking up the Whitehall Farce version.

Four bedrooms, each with a door directly into the same bathroom. Four
couples: each couple believing they have their own, private, en-suite
bathroom.

Two hours of side-splitting hilarity in the theatre as people come and
go, in and out of the same bathroom through different doors; always
arriving just as someone else leaves through another door; puzzling
over the changed colour of the towels, or the different title of the
book by the loo; close shaves for all as the man in the bubble-bath is
ignored by three different women who aren't his wife and three
different men make amusing mistakes about the identity of the wrong
woman in the shower.

Instead of building an extension, why not persuade your dad to write
this script, put the play on in the West End and retire in luxury to
his apartment on the coast while living on the proceeds?

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Hasn't Alan Ayckbourn already done this one?
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there
until they are too old to look after the place and property prices
have risen and then sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.

You can *overdevelop*. Will a 5 bed house at his location be out of
place when he comes to sell?

It would be the second 5 bed house on the estate. The majority are 3 bed
houses with some 4 bed ones (all with extensions to provide the 4th
bedroom). The rest are 2 and 3 bed bungalows.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy
Cap writes
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can
be useful though.
Colin Bignell

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in
bed. Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question
of a fashion statement over common sense!

+1

Wives appear extremely sensitive to toilet smells!

We have a separate main bathroom with walk in shower which visiting
children and I use. Master bedroom has en-suite as does downstairs
guest room. There is also a toilet in the utility area for farmers
with grubby hands.

Don't you fart in bed?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nightjar "cpb"@" "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 03/06/2011 10:43, Andy Cap wrote:
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can
be useful though.

Colin Bignell

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in
bed. Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question
of a fashion statement over common sense!

It does strike me as being a bit like living in an hotel room.

One idea was to make the master bedroom ensuite entrance via a dressing
room.

He has 6m by 10m to play with to make two new bedrooms plus any ensuites
etc. He might be able to make it greater than 10m but not more than 6m

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , ARWadsworth
writes
Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Andy
Cap writes
Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:

I've never had an en-suite in my life. A second WC in the house can
be useful though.
Colin Bignell

I'm not even sure I want a toilet one door away from my partner in
bed. Not sure it adds anything to the romance. IMO more a question
of a fashion statement over common sense!

+1

Wives appear extremely sensitive to toilet smells!

We have a separate main bathroom with walk in shower which visiting
children and I use. Master bedroom has en-suite as does downstairs
guest room. There is also a toilet in the utility area for farmers
with grubby hands.

Don't you fart in bed?

Not knowingly. It may come to me yet as it seems to be a feature of age!

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 3 Jun 2011 13:38:13 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

I estimate that you can sublet that to 12 migrant workers.
That would be OK with two bogs and a shower.
Then you could fit another four migrant workers in what would have been
the bathrooms you don't need.

And two more with the shower fitted over one of the bogs. Yes I did
stay in a place in Hong Kong where the shower was over the bog and
not an eastern squat bog either.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Jun 2011 09:17:40 GMT, Huge wrote:

Wet rooms suck. Another example of form over function.

They do in this country but only because of the climate, it's too
damn cold most of the time. They don't dry quick enough. Now out in
middle east where if it gets down to 20C the locals don double layers
of winter woolies a wet room is fine and very practical, no stupid
clingy shower curtain or stupidly small cubicle that needs to be
squeeged down after use. Just rinse, push the water to the floor
drain and the whole thing is dry in 30 mins.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/06/2011 16:10, ARWadsworth wrote:
Tim wrote:

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there
until they are too old to look after the place and property prices
have risen and then sell up and move to their apartment on the coast.

You can *overdevelop*. Will a 5 bed house at his location be out of
place when he comes to sell?

It would be the second 5 bed house on the estate. The majority are 3 bed
houses with some 4 bed ones (all with extensions to provide the 4th
bedroom). The rest are 2 and 3 bed bungalows.

Don't do it. Having the biggest house on the estate will make it really
hard to sell - ask any agent. Those who want and can afford a 5-bed
won't want to live next to all the chavi people who can only afford a
little bungalow.

I suggest your dad makes the seaside place the perfect place to retire
to if he wants a project.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim wrote:

The idea is to extend now (whilst he can still DIY), live there
until they are too old to look after the place and property prices
have risen and then sell up and move to their apartment on the
coast.

You can *overdevelop*. Will a 5 bed house at his location be out of
place when he comes to sell?

It would be the second 5 bed house on the estate. The majority are 3
bed houses with some 4 bed ones (all with extensions to provide the
4th bedroom). The rest are 2 and 3 bed bungalows.

Don't do it. Having the biggest house on the estate will make it
really hard to sell - ask any agent. Those who want and can afford a
5-bed won't want to live next to all the chavi people who can only
afford a little bungalow.

Have you seen the price of a bungalow when it comes to the cost per square
metre when buying one? Bungalows are not for chavs.

I suggest your dad makes the seaside place the perfect place to retire
to if he wants a project.

He has already bought and renovated the seaside place:-)

Did I mention that he has not yet told my Mum about the proposed extension?

--
Adam