Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default Number of bedrooms with ensuites

If you had a 3 bed house with no ensuites and were going to build an
extension to make it a 5 bed house how many ensuites would consider
the minimum?

The smallest existing bedroom is the nearer to the existing bathroom
than the proposed extention and will have to remain ensuite free.

I claim that there should be at least 2 full ensuites and three new
toilets. Any other views before I fall out with my Dad..

You are of course right(er). The trend is clear. I lost track of the
number of former colleagues who went on about their new en suites,
extensions to provide 2nd b/rs etc You could also point him at estate
agents: eg http://www.struttandparker.com/html/syndart_110511.php

"The way people live in their homes has changed dramatically over the
past 10-20 years as people's tastes in housing have changed.
Free-flowing rooms, en-suite 'his and her' bathrooms and increasingly
impressive technology are some of the new top list requirements. "

"Luxury bathrooms are now as equally high a requirement to bedrooms.
Most buyers expect en-suites particularly with the larger rooms in a
house. Old fashioned freestanding baths have been replaced with clean
lines and stylish wet rooms. Fiddes notes that 'his and her' basins and
even bathrooms are also becoming ever more popular. It is now not that
unusual for bedrooms to be transformed into large spacious bathrooms to
offer a more balanced level of accommodation. "

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com