Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Gas Heaters in Bedrooms

In news mcp6453 spewed forth:
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty
sure that an unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas
fireplace logs, there have to be some style of heater than will be
permitted under the code. I want a supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does
it have to go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each
end and a roof vent at the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would never
run it while I'm asleep.

Ol Dearborns are great, no venting required
http://www.dearbornheater.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty sure that an
unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas fireplace logs, there have to
be some style of heater than will be permitted under the code. I want a
supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does it have to
go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each end and a roof vent at
the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would never run it
while I'm asleep.

Hi,
Direct vent gas fire place can be vented thru the wall.
It has sealed glass front cover and fan circulate hot air.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 4, 10:34*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty sure that an
unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas fireplace logs, there have to
be some style of heater than will be permitted under the code. I want a
supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does it have to
go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each end and a roof vent at
the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would never run it
while I'm asleep.

The old tall wall gas heaters I have seen are vented outside, is yours
vented, maybe some are not vented.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
mcp6453 spewed forth:
On 1/4/2010 2:46 PM, ChairMan wrote:
In news mcp6453 spewed forth:
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty
sure that an unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas
fireplace logs, there have to be some style of heater than will be
permitted under the code. I want a supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does
it have to go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each
end and a roof vent at the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would
never run it while I'm asleep.

Ol Dearborns are great, no venting required
http://www.dearbornheater.com/

Apparently Dearborn is out of business.

http://www.kennspenns.com/heating/dearborn~infra.html

True, but you can still find units at flea markets, propane dealers, etc.
Just depends what part of the country your in. I see them alot here in
Tejas
Btw: I did say Olg

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
news
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty sure
that an
unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas fireplace logs, there
have to
be some style of heater than will be permitted under the code. I want a
supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does it
have to
go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each end and a roof
vent at
the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would never run
it
while I'm asleep.

This ole house or some such had a good show on installing vented gas
fireplaces -- trickier than I thought, but with neat solutions.
One is, two SS or alum flex hoses are dropped through the chimney -- one the
vent/exhaust, the other the inlet air.
The other is done through the wall, with concentric ducting for the
inlet/outlet, which is neat because the exaust pre-warms the inlet air.

I'll bet a similar thing could be done with the chimney flex hosing, but at
a cost.

These things aren't cheap, tho. My neighbor paid like $5 K for his.

Venting into an attic is an inneresting idea, with no yea or nays here so
far.
If the attic itself is well vented, it would seem to be an OK idea, but I'll
bet dollars to donuts few codes would allow it -- if they knew about it....
You would have to be careful about insulating the stack, combustibles, etc.

When all is said and done, given that considerable heat is lost up the flue,
I wonder how much cheaper gas heaters (and all the attendant drama) are than
a simple electric heater. I sort of like radiant heaters, as they can be
focused.

There ought to be an objective rating system, based on the cost per therm of
gas, and the cost per kwhr of electricity -- iow, what ratio of price
between the two is equivalent heating cost?
--
EA

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty
sure that an unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas
fireplace logs, there have to be some style of heater than will be
permitted under the code. I want a supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does
it have to go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each
end and a roof vent at the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would never
run it while I'm asleep.

Why not? If you're paranoid, get a CO detector.

I grew up with natural gas space heaters and it didn't affect me [Look! A
Squirrel!].

It makes sense to not heat the whole house for 6-10 hours while you're
asleep, so heating only the bedroom is a good idea. There are alternatives,
however:
1. Wooly pajamas.
2. More blankets (worked for our pioneers).
3. Electric blanket.
4. More dogs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds to me like the perfect applicaton for a "HeatSurge" or
"EdenPure".

Posted to alt.home.repair

mcp6453 wrote:
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty sure that an
unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas fireplace logs, there have to
be some style of heater than will be permitted under the code. I want a
supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does it have to
go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each end and a roof vent at
the top.

Only if you want icicles forming inside your attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 1:10*pm, (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:
Sounds to me like the perfect applicaton for a "HeatSurge" or
"EdenPure".

Suggest NOT vent anything into an attic.
Too much chance of problems.
One product of any combustion is water vapour! The last thing one
needs to do is fill up the attic (in a cold climate anyway) with
cooling moisture. Quite a good recipe for mould and rot?
Also combustion may not be complete and/or smelly (fumes).
Make sure any gas burning appliance has a 'source' of combustion air.
You don't want to wake up dead some morning due to the appliance using
up all the oxygen ............ it's happened!
Even in a closed up tent on one occasion!
Nearly happened to our whole family, once, in a camper; when something
was inadvertently left burning overnight!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/5/2010 1:19 PM, terry wrote:

Suggest NOT vent anything into an attic.
Too much chance of problems.
One product of any combustion is water vapour! The last thing one
needs to do is fill up the attic (in a cold climate anyway) with
cooling moisture. Quite a good recipe for mould and rot?
Also combustion may not be complete and/or smelly (fumes).
Make sure any gas burning appliance has a 'source' of combustion air.
You don't want to wake up dead some morning due to the appliance using
up all the oxygen ............ it's happened!
Even in a closed up tent on one occasion!
Nearly happened to our whole family, once, in a camper; when something
was inadvertently left burning overnight!

Good suggestions.

New twist. Our propane company just informed us that it is legal to put
a vented gas heater in a bedroom. However, the will not run a gas line
to it. Huh?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 15:08:18 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

Good suggestions.

New twist. Our propane company just informed us that it is legal to put
a vented gas heater in a bedroom. However, the will not run a gas line
to it. Huh?

That's what a good hvac outfit or a plumber is for. Our propane
company won't run gas lines except to the side of the house as far as
I know.

---
A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 5, 12:19*pm, terry wrote:
On Jan 5, 1:10*pm, (Lp1331 1p1331) wrote:

Sounds to me like the perfect applicaton for a "HeatSurge" or
"EdenPure".

Suggest NOT vent anything into an attic.
Too much chance of problems.
One product of any combustion is water vapour! The last thing one
needs to do is fill up the attic (in a cold climate anyway) *with
cooling moisture. Quite a good recipe for mould and rot?
Also combustion may not be complete and/or smelly (fumes).
Make sure any gas burning appliance has a 'source' of combustion air.
You don't want to wake up dead some morning due to the appliance using
up all the oxygen ............ it's happened!
Even in a closed up tent on one occasion!
Nearly happened to our whole family, once, in a camper; when something
was inadvertently left burning overnight!

Agreed with Terry. A small electric heater with built-in thermostat
would be much cheaper and MUCH SAFER!
Posted to alt.home.repair
Acf Acf is offline

On Jan 4, 11:34*pm, mcp6453 wrote:
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty sure that an
unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas fireplace logs, there have to
be some style of heater than will be permitted under the code. I want a
supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does it have to
go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each end and a roof vent at
the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would never run it
while I'm asleep.

I have a electric heater ,the oil radiator type, no noise, no
fumes ,no vents, 2 stage 500watts or 1500 watts,
made by Delonges( might be mispelled) and can be moved from room to
room on wheels. Best product
I have found and does the job!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wow! That's! Surprising! You! Don't! Say!!

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"terry" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

"mcp6453" wrote in message
news
What kind of gas heater can be installed in a bedroom? I'm pretty sure
that an
unvented one cannot. Since some bedrooms have gas fireplace logs, there
have to
be some style of heater than will be permitted under the code. I want a
supplemental heater.

For vented heaters, can the vent open into the attic space, or does it
have to
go all the way outside? The attic has open gables on each end and a roof
vent at
the top.

I have a wall-mounted gas heater in my bedroom now, but I would never run
it
while I'm asleep.

My .02 ... get one of the little Vornado electric heaters (Bed Bath &
Beyond is the retailer near me that stocks them)... I use them at home and
at the office, they work great distributing warm air throughout the room,
safe, no funny smell, on board thermostat, very quiet.

-- Paul