Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default electric fan oven

Hi all,
I've got an electric fan oven here. The element blew about 2 months ago,
which I changed myself easily after shutting down all the electrics in the
house (I don't like messing with 240V :-) ).

A few days ago it started making a rattling noise, which coincided with the
bulb inside blowing. I've not changed the bulb, but I've checked the
housing and it seems tight. The rattling noise seems to come from the fan
itself, but isn't constant. It's not shelves or similar (they are all
removable and the noise is still there once they've been taken out).

Just got a few questions - is it possible for someone not amazing with DIY
to fix a fan in a fan oven? Is it likely to be a big job (it's a fairly
standard oven). Or is it likely to be more cost effective to just get a new
cheap oven to tide me over to moving house in a few years? Had a very
quick look online, been quoted £125 for a cheap oven and £85 fitting - is
this reasonable, and how big a job is changing an oven? I wouldn't do it
myself, I've got friends who are good with electrics and everything
cable/switch wise was fitted by a proper electrician some years ago.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Finnigan wrote:

Just got a few questions - is it possible for someone not amazing with DIY
to fix a fan in a fan oven?

Yes. A rattle is probably a screw loose on the fan fitting. Most are
dead east to take apart, not even needing to be taken out of the unit,
access is from insside the oven once a panel is taken off.

Is it likely to be a big job (it's a fairly
standard oven). Or is it likely to be more cost effective to just get a new
cheap oven to tide me over to moving house in a few years? Had a very
quick look online, been quoted £125 for a cheap oven and £85 fitting - is
this reasonable, and how big a job is changing an oven? I wouldn't do it
myself, I've got friends who are good with electrics and everything
cable/switch wise was fitted by a proper electrician some years ago.

If it is a like for like swap, then that sounds rather expensive.
Even if doing it properly, and testing the circuit, it will not take
much over half an hour.
If they dont bother checking the circuit, and just swap over the cables,
then it'll be 10-15 mins. 2 or 4 screws holding the oven into the unit,
undo a cable clamp, undone the terminals, remove the old oven, refit new
one.
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

A.Lee wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:

Just got a few questions - is it possible for someone not amazing with DIY
to fix a fan in a fan oven?

Yes. A rattle is probably a screw loose on the fan fitting. Most are
dead east to take apart, not even needing to be taken out of the unit,
access is from insside the oven once a panel is taken off.

Is this the panel that also covers the heating element? To clarify, this
oven has a circular element wit the fan in the middle. A metal cover can be
removed by taking out two screws at the top and lowering the cover, which
is hinged a the bottom. IIRC there is a screw easily visible o the fan
itself, in the middle (presumably connecting it to the drive shaft). Is
this the screw you mean?

[...]

that was pretty much the amount of work I was expecting. I'd do it myself
except I don't like working with mains electricity :-). Might be an
opportunity to get a new job installed as well - it's a gas hob so will
obviously be getting someone trained, competent, qualified and insured to
do that job if I have it done :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 11:04*am, Simon Finnigan wrote:
A.Lee wrote:
Simon Finnigan wrote:

[...]

No need to do anything, it should keep running for years

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 17, 11:04 am, Simon Finnigan wrote:

it's a gas hob so will
obviously be getting someone trained, competent, qualified and insured to
do that job if I have it done :-)

let us know if you find someone that ticks all those boxes ;)

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article

, Simon Finnigan writes
Hi all,
I've got an electric fan oven here. The element blew about 2 months ago,
which I changed myself easily after shutting down all the electrics in the
house (I don't like messing with 240V :-) ).

A few days ago it started making a rattling noise, which coincided with the
bulb inside blowing. I've not changed the bulb, but I've checked the
housing and it seems tight. The rattling noise seems to come from the fan
itself, but isn't constant. It's not shelves or similar (they are all
removable and the noise is still there once they've been taken out).

It's not the fan fouling on the element is it? The fan will move as it
heats up so the 'rattle' could well change. As these elements start
straight before being bend to shape they can take a bit of gentle
bending but bet you'll be out of comfort zone there ;-).
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 6:05*am, fred wrote:
[...]

+1 to that. BTGTTS - replaced element, started to rattle some months
later and resolved by just bending the element slightly, and hasn't
reappeared.
Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
On May 17, 11:04 am, Simon Finnigan wrote:

it's a gas hob so will
obviously be getting someone trained, competent, qualified and insured to
do that job if I have it done :-)

let us know if you find someone that ticks all those boxes ;)

Jim K

Cousins boyfriend actually ticks them all. Which is very nice :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robgraham wrote:
On May 18, 6:05 am, fred wrote:
[...]

I'll give it a better look when I get the chance then, given tha two people

Thanks all for the tips!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

Deffinately not this - I had it running wit the metal shield off so I could
check for tha exact thing. I'm not at home now, but I've got memories that
the original element had a third screw bracket which the replacement
doesn't - it might be the element moving more than normal if you see what I
mean.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have an atag oven and hob (elec oven) (gas hob) the oven started to make a strange rattling sound so googled it and checked fan, it looks fine so pulled oven out and noticed what looks like it's been burning and it's near the gas pipes what shall I do? Thanx
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 August 2016 10:38:23 UTC+1, wrote:
I have an atag oven and hob (elec oven) (gas hob) the oven started to make a strange rattling sound so googled it and checked fan, it looks fine so pulled oven out and noticed what looks like it's been burning and it's near the gas pipes what shall I do? Thanx

Start by telling us what's been burning. A picture would be even better.

NT

Will an electric oven fire ruin an oven thermostat. Ricky[_4_] Home Repair 9 January 10th 11 05:26 PM
Electric or gas oven ?? Jim UK diy 8 August 5th 06 09:07 PM
Electric oven KTECH Home Repair 1 December 13th 05 02:06 AM
Electric Oven Robert Bashford UK diy 5 March 8th 05 02:26 PM
Separate electric oven and electric hob Paul Lucas UK diy 2 February 1st 05 12:18 PM