Posted to uk.d-i-y
A.Lee A.Lee is offline

Default electric fan oven

Simon Finnigan wrote:

Just got a few questions - is it possible for someone not amazing with DIY
to fix a fan in a fan oven?

Yes. A rattle is probably a screw loose on the fan fitting. Most are
dead east to take apart, not even needing to be taken out of the unit,
access is from insside the oven once a panel is taken off.

Is it likely to be a big job (it's a fairly
standard oven). Or is it likely to be more cost effective to just get a new
cheap oven to tide me over to moving house in a few years? Had a very
quick look online, been quoted £125 for a cheap oven and £85 fitting - is
this reasonable, and how big a job is changing an oven? I wouldn't do it
myself, I've got friends who are good with electrics and everything
cable/switch wise was fitted by a proper electrician some years ago.

If it is a like for like swap, then that sounds rather expensive.
Even if doing it properly, and testing the circuit, it will not take
much over half an hour.
If they dont bother checking the circuit, and just swap over the cables,
then it'll be 10-15 mins. 2 or 4 screws holding the oven into the unit,
undo a cable clamp, undone the terminals, remove the old oven, refit new
one.
Alan.