Posted to uk.d-i-y
Simon Finnigan Simon Finnigan is offline

Default electric fan oven

Hi all,
I've got an electric fan oven here. The element blew about 2 months ago,
which I changed myself easily after shutting down all the electrics in the
house (I don't like messing with 240V :-) ).

A few days ago it started making a rattling noise, which coincided with the
bulb inside blowing. I've not changed the bulb, but I've checked the
housing and it seems tight. The rattling noise seems to come from the fan
itself, but isn't constant. It's not shelves or similar (they are all
removable and the noise is still there once they've been taken out).

Just got a few questions - is it possible for someone not amazing with DIY
to fix a fan in a fan oven? Is it likely to be a big job (it's a fairly
standard oven). Or is it likely to be more cost effective to just get a new
cheap oven to tide me over to moving house in a few years? Had a very
quick look online, been quoted £125 for a cheap oven and £85 fitting - is
this reasonable, and how big a job is changing an oven? I wouldn't do it
myself, I've got friends who are good with electrics and everything
cable/switch wise was fitted by a proper electrician some years ago.

Thanks in advance for your advice and help!