Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Large double ended wood screws

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )

Anyone know of a supplier?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 14, 10:22*pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )

Anyone know of a supplier?

AWEM

If you only wanted one, I guess it might be practical to chop the head
off a coach bolt and grind it down to give a 2nd pointy end. I guess
you've got to find another way to connect them.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/05/2011 22:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:
I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

You could try setting hex coach screw heads into the sleepers with
resin, and using the other end to screw into the uprights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 11:27*am, stuart noble wrote:
On 14/05/2011 22:22, Andrew Mawson wrote:

I need some *LARGE *wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

You could try setting hex coach screw heads into the sleepers with
resin, and using the other end to screw into the uprights.

A lot easier to do it the other way round, screw in first, then resin
the head(s).

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:
I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

An idiot boy question (again) from me. Just out of interest, how would
you use the double headed screws? I've so far totally failed to see how
you could use more than one per upright since so far as I can see you
have to rotate the upright (or the sleeper!) in order in order to
tighten it.

(I ask in part 'cos the one time I did something similar I used dowel
screws which were thread to take a nut - like
http://www.screwfix.com/p/machine-th...ck-of-10/11850 -
but of course that left the nuts exposed and visible.)

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 14 May 2011 22:22:10 +0100, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )

Anyone know of a supplier?

AWEM

How about some largish threaded rod (10-15mm). Most sheds stock it.
Cut to length, drill a slightly undersized hole and put it 60-100mm
into each side. Put the first end in buy using a couple of nuts and
locking them up together, use a spanner to then screw into wood. In
anything other than balsa wood it should hold quite well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Robin" wrote in message
Andrew Mawson wrote:
I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden

knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm

long.

An idiot boy question (again) from me. Just out of interest, how

would
you use the double headed screws? I've so far totally failed to see

how
you could use more than one per upright since so far as I can see

you
have to rotate the upright (or the sleeper!) in order in order to
tighten it.

Robin,

They need to be big and meaty as there will only be one up the centre
of each upright. Hole drilled in sleeper and the upright, screw
inserted in holes, upright rotated by large custom made wooden
spanner. Handrail will stop them rotating.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

They need to be big and meaty as there will only be one up the centre
of each upright. Hole drilled in sleeper and the upright, screw
inserted in holes, upright rotated by large custom made wooden
spanner. Handrail will stop them rotating.

I think I see now, thanks.
--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 15, 5:28*pm, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

AWEM- Hide quoted text -

You can buy metal brackets to do this job. The screw will not be
strong enough, I think your posts. will split with any side loads.
Or cut mortices into the sleepers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
"Robin" wrote in message

Andrew Mawson wrote:
[...]

Have you tried cutting numerous mortises in 50 year old well seasoned
oak! These are unbeliveably hard oak sleepers.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

Have you tried cutting numerous mortises in 50 year old well seasoned
oak! These are unbeliveably hard oak sleepers.

You could make pins from rebar and fix them with a foaming glue or resin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )

Anyone know of a supplier?

Never tried them in wood but two multi monti's welded together might
work.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-mont...ck-of-25/54236

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.

I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.

Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )

Anyone know of a supplier?

Never tried them in wood but two multi monti's welded together might
work.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/multi-mont...drill-size-8-p
ack-of-25/54236

You could use conventional coach screws, counter bored in from the back
of the sleepers.

When I needed to extend an Oak gate post, I made up a template and
drilled holes to take glued dowels.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andrew Mawson, bigplns wrote:
andrew wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.
Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )
Anyone know of a supplier?
AWEM

how long are the 5"x5" timbers?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.
Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )
Anyone know of a supplier?
AWEM

how long are the 5"x5" timbers?

I did something similar using studding. Set both ends in 2 part filler
so the holes didn't have to be 100% accurate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message s.com,
bigplns writes
andrew wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.
Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )
Anyone know of a supplier?
AWEM

how long are the 5"x5" timbers?

Weld some cut off coach bolts together?

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Lamb
writes
In message s.com,
bigplns writes

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message s.com,
bigplns writes
andrew wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.
Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )
Anyone know of a supplier?
AWEM

how long are the 5"x5" timbers?

Weld some cut off coach bolts together?

I bought concreting re-bar and cut it up to make locating dowels for a
sleeper construction job - cut with the obligatory angle grinder naturally!
Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:

I need some LARGE wood dowel screws - the double ended wood
screws the small variety of which are often used to fix wooden knobs
to doors.
I'm joining 5"x5" timber baulks upright onto 10"x5" oak railway
sleepers, so need perhaps 10mm or 12mm diameter and maybe 100 mm long.
Google finds lots of tiny ones but no big 'uns.(well not quite true -
I found a supplier who offers 1" x 8" screw dowels. I rang them to
check that that was 1" diameter by 8" long which they confirmed, but
when they arrived they were 1" long by No 8 !!!!!!!!! )
Anyone know of a supplier?
AWEM

how long are the 5"x5" timbers?

I did something similar using studding. Set both ends in 2 part filler so
the holes didn't have to be 100% accurate

Good heavens this was a post I made YEARS ago. The solution that I adopted
was to weld large coach coach screws into the centre of 100 mm plates which
I bolted to the bridge oak sleepers (in rebates) I then screwed the handrail
uprights onto the coach screws and installed the handrail. (This is curved
bridge based on 10" x 6" RSJs that I had rolled to an arc). This worked
splendidly until my builder took his 3 ton digger over it carrying a massive
tree root ball of at least a ton. (Calculations for the bridge had been
based on 2 ton max). The RSJs flexed a bit with the result that the coach
bolts pulled loose in the end grain of the uprights and made the handrail
wobbly. This I totally cured by welding up what were effectively long
eyebolts, the threaded part of which went through the oak sleepers and were
fixed with nuts and washers under the roadway, and the eye went flat against
the upright through which I drilled a hole for a long bolt that picked up
another such eyebolt on the other side. It is now massively rigid and
grandchild proof

Andrew (the original poster of the question yonks ago !!!!! )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

andrew wrote:

[...]

I wonder how that happened then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Andrew Mawson, John Waterhouse wrote:
Hi Andrew,
Did you ever manage to find a solution to this problem? I have some broken
fence posts (4" x 4") which I wish to repair. I was thinking of having some
large double ended wood screws made from hexagonal bar. One end would have a
standard "clockwise" thread whilst the other would have an "anticlockwise"
thread. ( Like the thread on left hand bicycle pedals except these will be
double pointed wood screws of course). This way, the screws can be tightened
with a spanner on the hexagonal bar in the middle. Hence the posts can be
repaired without having to dismantle the fence. I need four but it will cost
less per unit if more are made. How many do you need? Does anyone else need
some?
With kind regards, John

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ws-706117-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/03/2018 12:14, John Waterhouse wrote:
replying to Andrew Mawson, John Waterhouse wrote:

Check the date of the post (2011)

Google Dowel Screws

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 18 March 2018 12:14:04 UTC, John Waterhouse wrote:
replying to Andrew Mawson, John Waterhouse wrote:
Hi Andrew,
Did you ever manage to find a solution to this problem? I have some broken
fence posts (4" x 4") which I wish to repair. I was thinking of having some
large double ended wood screws made from hexagonal bar. One end would have a
standard "clockwise" thread whilst the other would have an "anticlockwise"
thread. ( Like the thread on left hand bicycle pedals except these will be
double pointed wood screws of course). This way, the screws can be tightened
with a spanner on the hexagonal bar in the middle. Hence the posts can be
repaired without having to dismantle the fence. I need four but it will cost
less per unit if more are made. How many do you need? Does anyone else need
some?
With kind regards, John

Dowel screws. Or drill a hole in each wood end & epoxy threaded steel rod in - that way you can move it into correct position before it sets.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Maybe so, but perhaps he was attempting to save writing it all again. it
sounds a bit like those devices you get on boat rigging where you can
tighten the wire up du to the threads being opposite handed in either end
of a sleeve, then simply use a lock nut to secure them.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"alan_m" wrote in message
On 18/03/2018 12:14, John Waterhouse wrote:
replying to Andrew Mawson, John Waterhouse wrote:

Check the date of the post (2011)

Google Dowel Screws

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:58:34 -0000
"Brian Gaff" wrote:

That's called a turnbuckle.

it sounds a bit like those devices you get on boat rigging where you
can tighten the wire up du to the threads being opposite handed in
either end of a sleeve, then simply use a lock nut to secure them.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 12:14:01 GMT
John Waterhouse m
wrote:

I was thinking of having some
large double ended wood screws made from hexagonal bar. One end
would have a standard "clockwise" thread whilst the other would have
an "anticlockwise" thread. ( Like the thread on left hand bicycle
pedals except these will be double pointed wood screws of course).
This way, the screws can be tightened with a spanner on the hexagonal
bar in the middle.

Screws don't hold well in end grain. How would you fill the gap that
would have to be left for the spanner?

1900x800 (or 750) double ended acryllic/plastic bath? RobertL UK diy 6 April 27th 09 12:00 PM
RCA model SCP-2 Sound Tape Magazine Loaded large cassette recorder- c. 1960- stereo single ended tube amped- serviced- $200 opener- or BIN $350 DeserTBob's Futile Efforts[_2_] Electronics Repair 0 September 23rd 07 05:12 PM
Double ended fixings Mark A UK diy 11 January 20th 07 01:10 AM
Using sheet metal, particle board, or drywall screws in wood, and help finding source for black wood screws John2005 Woodworking 10 June 19th 06 04:35 PM
Special double ended drill bits [email protected] Home Repair 5 February 17th 06 12:04 AM