Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default [OT] Fecking useless couriers

Up a ladder at the back of the house doing some painting. Expecting a
parcel delivery from CPC that was placed just before the bank holiday
weekend.

SWTSMBO is off on shopping jolly all day. No clear line of sight to
the road and the wind is blowing in the wrong direction so I wouldn't
necessarily hear them arrive. No easy way of providing permanent
access to the rear without leaving the garage door wide open with a
few grands worth of wood and metal working machinery on display.

So I left a note by the front door saying where I was and to either
shout or ring me.

I get back inside and find they have left me a note a few minutes
before with "no phone provided" scrawled over it and have buggered off
back to the depot with my parcel.

So I go online and one of the fields they provide for a redelivery is
"phone number" and "special delivery instructions"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Other Mike wrote:
[...]

Sounds like you could do with a wireless doorbell - the battery receiver
type you can carry with you. Cheap as chips on Ebay.

--
*I'm pretty sure that sex is better than logic, but I can't prove it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/05/2011 17:15, The Other Mike wrote:

So I left a note by the front door saying where I was and to either
shout or ring me.

I recently ordered something online (a small package) and in the special
instructions box I tried entering this: "If I'm not in, please place
package in the plastic bag tucked under the locked side-gate, and lower
it over the gate on the attached string to avoid dropping it (fragile)".

The side gate is about 6'6" high so it seemed to me quite a clever idea,
especially as it wasn't a particularly valuable - or all that fragile -
item (not that the courier would know that).

Didn't know when the delivery was likely, but predictably, I got carded
when I was out. Went round to the gate, saw my bin bag with attached
string clearly on view still where I'd left it. And sure enough, behind
the gate was my unprotected package, where it had been flung over.
Fortunately undamaged, and still dry as it hadn't rained.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
[...]

Do you really think that it doesn't suffer worse than this on its way
through the system

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Other Mike wrote:
[snip]

I get back inside and find they have left me a note a few minutes
before with "no phone provided" scrawled over it and have buggered off
back to the depot with my parcel.

****ty Link by any chance?

That's their MO here. If they get as far as the house, that is. Normally
they send a postcard by post to say that the house does not exist on
satnav. This is a lie.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

On a Thursday, I ordered some valves for my amplifier, on next day
delivery as we were having a party on the Friday night and wanted some
music (I'd planned to pick some up in the local electronics shop, only
to find that they'd stopped stocking them). In the delivery instructions
box, I typed "If no-one is in, please leave at any of No.s 10, 11, 13 or
14." I then arrived home to find a note saying that they'd taken them
back to the depot!!! Their excuse was that it was up to the drivers
whether they left things with a neighbour or not, despite my clear
instructions.

The post-office is even worse, they stuck a note through the door saying
that there was no answer, while my wife was in. She caught the postwoman
coming back down the other side and was told that the parcels guy was
off ill and his "replacement" hadn't bothered to come and deliver, but
had just put "we were unable to deliver" cards in the pigeonholes for
the normal posties to deliver. As we were both due to be out at work
during the next couple of days and the local office is not open during
any hours that we can get there, I asked them to re-direct it to another
postoffice that was open later, only for them to demand payment for
redirection!

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 May 2011 20:50:29 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

The Other Mike wrote: [snip]

I get back inside and find they have left me a note a few minutes
before with "no phone provided" scrawled over it and have buggered off
back to the depot with my parcel.

****ty Link by any chance?

That's their MO here. If they get as far as the house, that is. Normally
they send a postcard by post to say that the house does not exist on
satnav. This is a lie.

Since it was CPC, it would probably be UPS or DPD.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Couriers?! Think yourself lucky. Bloke I heard about used this dodgy
courier, next thing there's a bunch of yahoos come round took *him* away,
dumped him in the fecking ocean!

--
John Stumbles
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
Up a ladder at the back of the house doing some painting. Expecting a
parcel delivery from CPC that was placed just before the bank holiday
weekend.

SWTSMBO is off on shopping jolly all day. No clear line of sight to
the road and the wind is blowing in the wrong direction so I wouldn't
necessarily hear them arrive. No easy way of providing permanent
access to the rear without leaving the garage door wide open with a
few grands worth of wood and metal working machinery on display.

So I left a note by the front door saying where I was and to either
shout or ring me.

That'll teach you to always provide a contingency plan to the seller

Then they have no excuse to be brain dead and leave a card

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Lobster
writes
On 04/05/2011 17:15, The Other Mike wrote:

So I left a note by the front door saying where I was and to either
shout or ring me.

I recently ordered something online (a small package) and in the
special instructions box I tried entering this: "If I'm not in, please
place package in the plastic bag tucked under the locked side-gate, and
lower it over the gate on the attached string to avoid dropping it
(fragile)".

The two problems there are that you'd probably exceeded the character
count of the field, and you'd exceeded the attention span of the driver
by the 5th word - keep it short, keep it simple. Write a novel and he'll
ignore it

--
geoff

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:39:33 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Sounds like you could do with a wireless doorbell - the battery receiver
type you can carry with you. Cheap as chips on Ebay.

Good idea for the future - although I'd bet the courier would knock
on the door rather than ring the bell!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 May 2011 21:02:30 GMT, Bob Eager wrote:

On Wed, 04 May 2011 20:50:29 +0000, Steve Firth wrote:

The Other Mike wrote: [snip]

I get back inside and find they have left me a note a few minutes
before with "no phone provided" scrawled over it and have buggered off
back to the depot with my parcel.

****ty Link by any chance?

That's their MO here. If they get as far as the house, that is. Normally
they send a postcard by post to say that the house does not exist on
satnav. This is a lie.

Since it was CPC, it would probably be UPS or DPD.

UPS it was. I can almost see an exact repeat tomorrow!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
Couriers?! Think yourself lucky. Bloke I heard about used this dodgy
courier, next thing there's a bunch of yahoos come round took *him* away,
dumped him in the fecking ocean!

What , they didn't read the note "can leave at the military camp down
the road" ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Other Mike
writes
Up a ladder at the back of the house doing some painting. Expecting a
parcel delivery from CPC that was placed just before the bank holiday
weekend.

So I go online and one of the fields they provide for a redelivery is
"phone number" and "special delivery instructions"

I had a devious one a couple of months ago

The customer requested the item be delivered to his daughter a few
streets away

Next day - no show, courier claimed that they had delivered it and had a
signature. UNFORTUNATELY FOR THEM ... the driver had forged the
signature of the customer as his daughter, being married had a different
surname

caught the buggers out that time !

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fecking useless couriers

On May 5, 7:01 am, "tim...." wrote:
"Lobster" wrote in message

behind
the gate was my unprotected package, where it had been flung over.

Do you really think that it doesn't suffer worse than this on its way
through the system

I've seen how the couriers work. The guy who picks up parcels goes to
the depot and parks his van near half a dozen big bins. He stands at
the rear of his van and flings the parcels into the correct bin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 4, 10:50*pm, Steve Firth wrote:

That's their MO here. If they get as far as the house, that is. Normally
they send a postcard by post to say that the house does not exist on
satnav. This is a lie.

Whether it is a lie or not, it is irrelevant. Have they not heard of
researching other methods of finding it, e.g. a map?

Neil
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 4 May 2011 23:52:00 -0700 (PDT), Neil Williams wrote:

Normally they send a postcard by post to say that the house does

not
exist on satnav. This is a lie.

Well if you bung the post code for here into a Satnav an drive
blindly to where is says you end up a 1/4 of a mile down a steep
rough (tractor/Land Rover only rough) farm track in the middle of a
field and 1/2 a mile from where we actually are. I guess townies
might have a problem with a post code not landing them within 50' of
the destination...

Whether it is a lie or not, it is irrelevant. Have they not heard of
researching other methods of finding it, e.g. a map?

Agreed, give them the latitude and longitude so they can enter it
into their Satnav, no excuse then other than not being able to read.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message on Wed, 04 May 2011 21:59:16 +0100
Steve Walker wrote:

The post-office is even worse, they stuck a note through the door saying
that there was no answer, while my wife was in. She caught the postwoman
coming back down the other side and was told that the parcels guy was
off ill and his "replacement" hadn't bothered to come and deliver, but
had just put "we were unable to deliver" cards in the pigeonholes for
the normal posties to deliver. As we were both due to be out at work
during the next couple of days and the local office is not open during
any hours that we can get there, I asked them to re-direct it to another
postoffice that was open later, only for them to demand payment for
redirection!

Last week, my wife answered the door to a complete stranger with a parcel -
correctly and clearly (printed) addressed to her.

He'd come home to find it on his doorstep. Right number, wrong road, wrong
PostCode. Royal Mail - To Be Signed For!

She's complained to RM and told the sender - who is furious because they pay
extra for the service.

Thinking about it, we've had at least half a dozen 'To Be Signed For' letters
and packets through the letter box in the past year or so but, at least,
they've come to the right address before ...

--

Terry
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 04 May 2011 17:15:08 +0100, The Other Mike
wrote:

So I left a note by the front door saying where I was and to either
shout or ring me.

I get back inside and find they have left me a note a few minutes
before with "no phone provided" scrawled over it and have buggered off
back to the depot with my parcel.

So I go online and one of the fields they provide for a redelivery is
"phone number" and "special delivery instructions"

Currently I'm having a lot of success using Hermes.

They are dirt cheap and parcels are collected and delivered by local
sentient beings (Unlike Securicor) in private cars, and it's always
the same one.

Their service is dirt cheap (Cheap enough for SWMBO to ship kids
birthday presents and baby clothes bought in the sales to relatives in
Sussex and Glasgow).

The proceadure for handling missed deliveries / collections is agreed
beforehand and printed on the label of the package.

Their service would be cheap enough for such as Steve to operate a
nationwide shipping service, even offering low value items such as
organic veggies.

Only connection as a paying customer.

Derek G
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 4, 9:50*pm, Steve Firth wrote:
The Other Mike wrote:
[snip]

I get back inside and find they have left me a note a few minutes
before with "no phone provided" scrawled over it and have buggered off
back to the depot with my parcel.

****ty Link by any chance?

That's their MO here. If they get as far as the house, that is. Normally
they send a postcard by post to say that the house does not exist on
satnav. This is a lie.

So why did you bother posting it?

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 4, 5:15*pm, The Other Mike
wrote:
[...]

With one very major courier you're lucky if they make it to the front
door. There's a huge gap in the market here for a courier that gives a
monkey's about doing their job. I cant wait for parcelfarce to go out
of business.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 4, 9:59*pm, Steve Walker
wrote:
[...]

Often it's up to the *sender* whether consignments can be left
elsewhere.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek G. wrote:

Currently I'm having a lot of success using Hermes.

I have only had one delivery through them, it wasn't the fastest, but
their tracking system seems to have very timely updates so you know when
to expect it, delivery on a saturday was no extra charge, and as you say
a real human being ... I have seen it described as slave wages though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:

Derek G. wrote:

Currently I'm having a lot of success using Hermes.

I have only had one delivery through them, it wasn't the fastest, but
their tracking system seems to have very timely updates so you know when
to expect it, delivery on a saturday was no extra charge, and as you say
a real human being ... I have seen it described as slave wages though.

I must admit they do look very good - as someone said, quite affordable even
for one offs...

I see they have an ebay linkage option too - seem to be getting with the
times - something the Post Office could do with doing!

--
Tim Watts
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:

Last week, my wife answered the door to a complete stranger with a parcel -
correctly and clearly (printed) addressed to her.

He'd come home to find it on his doorstep. Right number, wrong road, wrong
PostCode. Royal Mail - To Be Signed For!

Ny dad had something delivered by Citylink and the guy came to the door
without it to check he was in. He left him the computer thing to sign while
he went to the van only to return a while later saying he couldn't find the
parcel.

Dad responded saying he couldn't find the handheld computer.

Delivery guy responded with "ah, I know what's happened. I've left it on a
drive up the road as I thought it was theirs. Let me have the computer and
I'll be back in a few mins".

Big argument with dad refusing to give the guy his computer back.

In the end he went and found the parcel, and delivered it correctly and
got his computer thing back :-)

She's complained to RM and told the sender - who is furious because they pay
extra for the service.

Yeah, this was something from Amazon - who recently seem to have stopped
using citylink in our area and now use royalmail special delivery or HDNL
(who despite my concerns, appear to be pretty good so far...)

Thinking about it, we've had at least half a dozen 'To Be Signed For' letters
and packets through the letter box in the past year or so but, at least,
they've come to the right address before ...

I was told by someone who should know, that there are different classes of
royal mail signed for. Special delivery is never left, normal signed for
can be under certain circumstances but if it is left, it's the royal mail
problem if it goes missing (I suspect it depends on the value of stuff).
Could all be rubbish (and should be) but it does fit with my experiences...

The ones to worry about are the ones that are left, but also signed for my
an unknown person :-)

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 5, 1:47*pm, dmc@puffin. (D.M.Chapman) wrote:
In article ,
Terry Casey wrote:

[...]

Our postman signs for us if it will fit through the letter box.

MBQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Lobster
saying something like:

I recently ordered something online (a small package) and in the special
instructions box I tried entering this: "If I'm not in, please place
package in the plastic bag tucked under the locked side-gate, and lower
it over the gate on the attached string to avoid dropping it (fragile)".

The side gate is about 6'6" high so it seemed to me quite a clever idea,
especially as it wasn't a particularly valuable - or all that fragile -
item (not that the courier would know that).

Didn't know when the delivery was likely, but predictably, I got carded
when I was out. Went round to the gate, saw my bin bag with attached
string clearly on view still where I'd left it. And sure enough, behind
the gate was my unprotected package, where it had been flung over.
Fortunately undamaged, and still dry as it hadn't rained.

Obviously your instructions got truncated to "Lob over side gate".
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Anyone else noticed that the google-groupers are all in a different
thread with the subject " Fecking useless couriers" - i.e. without
the [OT}] bit?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 May 2011 12:30:07 +0100, Andy Burns
wrote:

Derek G. wrote:

Currently I'm having a lot of success using Hermes.

I have only had one delivery through them, it wasn't the fastest, but
their tracking system seems to have very timely updates so you know when
to expect it, delivery on a saturday was no extra charge, and as you say
a real human being ... I have seen it described as slave wages though.

I prefer to think of it as more yer pin money, or beer money for
retirees :-)

It is a very large German (?) company. They have a very large / plush
corporate headquarters about 1 mile away.

Derek G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 05 May 2011 15:32:40 +0100, Geo wrote:

Anyone else noticed that the google-groupers are all in a different
thread with the subject " Fecking useless couriers" - i.e. without
the [OT}] bit?

Google Groups strips anything in the Subject: line that is contained
by sqaure brackets.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Geo wrote:
Anyone else noticed that the google-groupers are all in a different
thread with the subject " Fecking useless couriers" - i.e. without
the [OT}] bit?

I think Agent has a setting to do proper threading on the References
header. If you hunt around the options a bit, you should be able to
see the threads properly.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Derek G. wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Derek G. wrote:

Currently I'm having a lot of success using Hermes.

I have seen it described as slave wages though.

I prefer to think of it as [...] or beer money for retirees :-)

The chap who delivered my parcel certainly fit that bill, the chap who
delivered my new car the other month did too, he said it funds his golf
subs, not having it delivered by some boy-racerish type was quite
re-assuring. I hope here's some beer money jobs for me in 20 years time ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Andy
Burns writes
Derek G. wrote:

Currently I'm having a lot of success using Hermes.

I have only had one delivery through them, it wasn't the fastest, but
their tracking system seems to have very timely updates so you know when
to expect it, delivery on a saturday was no extra charge, and as you say
a real human being ... I have seen it described as slave wages though.

Which brings to mind the fact that Fastway berkshire (our local hub) has
gone to the wall

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Fastway berkshire (our local hub) has gone to the wall

A lot of their established franchises seem to be up for sale

http://www.fastwaycouriers.co.uk/8Fr...Estab.html#NQY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 5 May 2011 16:52:36 +0000 (UTC), Nick Leverton
wrote:

I think Agent has a setting to do proper threading on the References
header. If you hunt around the options a bit, you should be able to
see the threads properly.

Thanks - I have this (quote below) ticked so I suppose I would have
to un-tick it and accept subject changes in the original thread:-

"Start a new thread when a follow-up subject changes-
Check this box to create a new thread when a follow-up Usenet
message's subject is different than the main message's subject. When
unchecked, Agent attaches follow-up messages to the original even when
the subject of the thread changes."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I think Agent has a setting to do proper threading on the References
header. If you hunt around the options a bit, you should be able to
see the threads properly.

Thanks - I have this (quote below) ticked so I suppose I would have
to un-tick it and accept subject changes in the original thread:-

"Start a new thread when a follow-up subject changes-
Check this box to create a new thread when a follow-up Usenet
message's subject is different than the main message's subject. When
unchecked, Agent attaches follow-up messages to the original even when
the subject of the thread changes."

Ah yes, that sounds like the problem. I think ticking the box is meant
to emulate (possibly obsolete now) Outlook bugs, where the subject
line is more important than the followup references threading.

Nick
--
Serendipity: http://www.leverton.org/blosxom (last update 29th March 2010)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Sounds like you could do with a wireless doorbell - the battery receiver
type you can carry with you. Cheap as chips on Ebay.

Good idea for the future - although I'd bet the courier would knock
on the door rather than ring the bell!

Quite. Despite having a lit bell push in a prominent position next to
my front door many people just tap quietly on the door glass. I often
don't hear this even when I am in the house.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One the postman left a parcel in the bin at the roadside on refuse
collection day. It's a miracle that we found it!
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 May 2011 09:56:15 +0100, Mark wrote:

One the postman left a parcel in the bin at the roadside on refuse
collection day. It's a miracle that we found it!

Had a card from the postie: "Parcel with lawnmower in shed". Just a tad
ambiguous.

--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 06 May 2011 12:55:48 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Fri, 06 May 2011 09:56:15 +0100, Mark wrote:

One the postman left a parcel in the bin at the roadside on refuse
collection day. It's a miracle that we found it!

Had a card from the postie: "Parcel with lawnmower in shed". Just a tad
ambiguous.

Apropos of very little...I love one of the current ambulance chasing
adverts on Classic FM...

"The Paul Rooney Partnership have over 30 years' experience of
personal injury"

I keep picturing muscle bound men in black jackets and bow ties...

Useless! The Medway Handyman UK diy 7 December 31st 10 10:14 PM
Couriers and shipping...? Ardamerr UK diy 9 May 13th 10 11:32 AM
ANC couriers How do you rate them? Sylvain VAN DER WALDE UK diy 20 September 6th 06 10:57 PM
Dustmasks - Are they all useless. [email protected] UK diy 16 March 17th 06 07:18 PM